• This topic has 59 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by asc73.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Longest bike warranty?
  • kevin1911

I have the urge to buy myself a new bike – I’ve not bought new new for quite a few years now, having been dabbling in the second hand market and swapping frames and parts more often than I actually ride.

I’ve been looking at the YT Capra, and very nearly pressed the buy button this morning, but then I noticed that the warranty is only 3 years. Then I looked at the Radon that’s been talked about a bit on here, and that’s only 2 years. They both seem a bit short to me.

Does anyone know who does the longest warranty?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Giant & Specialized? Lifetime from memory.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nicolai has a lifetime (for original owner)…..but you are going paying for it.
    Turner are highly regarded for looking after their customers…..but again you will pay for it.
    Specialized were renowned for going above and beyond their obligations but seem to have tightened up their processes recently.
    Giant and Trek have always been very fair when I’ve dealt with them over the years.
    Note..’Lifetime’ is usually considered as the expected usable lifespan…..not the duration of your life 🙂

andylc
    Free Member

Norco have lifetime warranty too.

scotroutes

Van Nicholas. Lifetime warranty, transferable to new owner.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Merida have lifetime warranty including racing up to a rider weight of 120kg!

kevin1911

The turner burner would do me nicely, but you do indeed pay for it!

I hadn’t even considered Merida – the Enduro 160 looks good value, although looks like it’s not brought into the UK.

jimjam
    Free Member

Lifetime warranty can be a bit misleading because as above it refers to the expected lifetime of the frame material given fair use. For an alloy frame that’s generally five years, for a carbon frame three (from memory).

As I’ve said before, what’s of more importance than the fine print on the warranty is the relationship between customer and shop, shop and distributor, distributor and manufacturer. If there’s a weak link in that chain you can find yourself in warranty hell.

scotroutes

Van Nicholas will replace (not repair) any Titanium frame that fails due to manufacturer defects in materials or workmanship for the lifetime of the frame. Every bicycle has a limited life, the so-called useable life-cycle. The duration of the useable life-cycle of bicycles depends on the type of frame, the way in which and the circumstances under which the bicycle is ridden and the care/maintenance the bicycle receives. The lifetime guarantee period is established on the basis of the duration of the useable life cycle of the bicycle. Van Nicholas sets the lifetime of their frames at an average of 25 years.

😆

honourablegeorge

Nicolai is 5 years IIRC

jimjam
    Free Member

Just point me towards Van Nicholas’ 160mm carbon full sus please Scotroutes.

vonplatz
    Free Member

liteville offer 5 year frame replacement plus 5 year half price on new frame that is transferable between owners. My only dealing with them so far has been to tell them that one of my logos fell off and a bit of paint had rubbed and they sent me a new logo and paint free of charge. Pretty good.

wrecker
    Free Member

Shame they don’t cover dings though. The last 2 on the classifieds have both had downtube dents.

scotroutes

jimjam – Member
    Just point me towards Van Nicholas’ 160mm Enduro Full sus please Scotroutes.

I’m simply pointing out that some manufacturers have more data in their products than others.

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member
    Giant & Specialized? Lifetime from memory.

Specialized are lifetime, but only one year on “suspension attachments and suspension related equipment” – what an “attachment” is I dunno, but linkages and the liek could fall under that.

Trek deffo shorten the warranty on their chainstays – not surprising given how many of them break

honourablegeorge

kevin1911 – Member

I hadn’t even considered Merida – the Enduro 160 looks good value, although looks like it’s not brought into the UK.

Two friends have come back from UK trade shows recently complimenting the Merida 160, so that may be about to change

kevin1911

Trek deffo shorten the warranty on their chainstays – not surprising given how many

That must be hidden in the fine print. I had a quick look on their website earlier abs it said frames are under warranty for the life of the original owner.

Suspect JimJam is right about the scope for problems due to the chain between bike shop and manufacturer. In that sense, maybe direct buy does have some advantages.

stufield
    Free Member

Kona – process 153 or 111 lifetime warranty, had capra on order and switched to 111 DL never regretted it. Fantastic bike, feels bulletproof

jimjam
    Free Member

scotroutes

I’m simply pointing out that some manufacturers have more data in their products than others.

I think you were just trying to be a smart ass, engaging in typical STW one-upmansip. Pointing out that one manufacturer who only make boutique titanium road and XC bikes have an extended warranty when the OP is looking for a 160mm carbon full suss seems about as relevant as pointing out that Kia have a 7 year warranty to someone who’s looking to buy a sports car.

It’s alright though, none of us are above it. I wonder do Van Nic cover their hardtails for enduro racing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Trek
    LIFETIME
    Frames for the lifetime of the original owner (except forks, the Session, Scratch, Slash, and Ticket model frames, and the swing arms on all full suspension bicycles)
    5 years
    Swing arms on all full suspension bicycles (except the Session, Scratch, and Slash model frames)
    3 years
    Session (aluminium), Scratch, Slash and Ticket model frames and swing arms
    2 years
    Session (carbon) model frames and swing arms

honourablegeorge

Trek have improved that – was interested in a Remedy at one point, but the swingarm warranty went from lifetime to 1 or 2 years at a time when loads of them were breaking.

benpinnick

Bird is lifetime – transferrable between owners. Yes if your frame snaps in ten years time and you’ve not put a bloody great dent in it we’ll give you a new one.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My Seven Sola also has a lifetime warranty.

scotroutes

ever taken it off any sweet jumps?

RoterStern
    Free Member

ever taken it off any sweet jumps?

I’ve already had two new frames out of them under warranty!

kevin1911

That’s a trek remedy off the list then!

julians
    Free Member

Orbea have a lifetime frame warranty.

Ibis warranty is officially something like 2 or 3 years, but they’ll frequently help you out beyond this period

duir
    Free Member

Nicolai has a lifetime (for original owner)…..but you are going paying for it.

It’s 5 years, transferable and you don’t pay for it, it’s included. Or if you mean they are expensive check again, a hand made frame with shock comes in at around £1900 with their new direct sales.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My mistake 😳
    A frame is the same price as a complete YT or Radon (also made by humans),bargainous.

postierich
    Free Member

Lots of Trek talk, met a chap Torridon way yesterday after a long walk back with his broken Trek 29er chain stay (carbon) he was not a happy chap even though he gets his bike for free!

kevin1911

Yikes. That will be Trek double crossed off. I think reading this forum has made me paranoid 🙂 Seem to be frames snapping everywhere.

davosaurusrex

How tall are you? Mate has an ano orange Turner burner for sale, not had much use as far as I know, he’s after a grand for the frame. XL though. Think the Turner warranty is transferable, they really do look after you in any case. Haven’t heard any reports of dw turners breaking

kevin1911

I’m usually a Medium – so I’d need ladders to get onto that. And stilts to pedal it.

trekcol
    Free Member

Rorshach- spot on, Remedy has a five year swing warranty and lifetime on the main to original owner

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Santa Cruz 5 years, always read the small print when it uses words like lifetime over a number.

duir
    Free Member

A frame is the same price as a complete YT or Radon (also made by humans),bargainous.

Technically made by humans who press the button to start the machine. Definitely bargainous (is that a real word) if you don’t include the long periods of downtime while your snapped frame is being warranted or while you wait for your next bike because the cheap one you just bought is too small for a large.

doug_basqueMTB.com

If you are already looking at the Capra then the Orbea Rallon with a lifetime warranty and similar but better (IMHO) geometry is worth a look. I don’t know how the UK pricing works, here it’s a bit more expensive than the Capra but not sure how much in the UK.

benpinnick

Technically made by humans who press the button to start the machine.

Pretty much any half decent bike will have been hand welded.

kevin1911

Yeah I’ve been looking at the Rallon. Seem quite rare in the UK. Got a mail from cyclesurgery this morning saying they have 30Pc off orbea at the moment, but only the x30 is listed on the website. Going to do them a mail to ask if they can get the x10 or the xteam.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I´m about to go downstairs and weigh the new XTeam I have before I build it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Longest bike warranty?’ is closed to new replies.