Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • London Bridge
  • Cougar

Absolutely the pubic were incredible and possibly prevented it from being much worse. Also to emergency services responding, I know my arse would be seriously twitching.

I think perhaps most people here aren’t really used to it so don’t perceive dangers as quickly as they should.

I saw an incident first-hand on… Westminster Bridge I think it was, a couple of years ago. A black BMW came haring over the bridge, all four tyres blown out. Then the blues and twos arrived from both sides of the bridge, boxing it in. The coppers jumped out, ripped open the BMW driver’s door and stuck a gun inside. Then they dragged out the driver, hoyed him onto the floor, cuffed, back of a van, zero ****ing about and all over in seconds.

I was with an American friend at the time who was visiting from Chicago. The difference in reactions was stark: when the copper pulled the door open she yelled “GUN DRAWN! GUN DRAWN!” and started pulling at my arm to drag me away more quickly; for my part I was just carrying on walking as if nothing was happening; meanwhile many passers-by had their mobiles out and were wandering over to get a closer look and video it.

It was only when we got off the bridge that it really hit me properly – that could have been really ****ing dangerous. They could have had automatic weapons or a car bomb or anything. It genuinely just didn’t enter my head, it’s simply not the sort of thing we’re programmed for.

Cougar

As I understand it, orders are to shoot. If you get blown up, unlucky.

Christ.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

How can they be certain in that sort of situation? Is it just the lesser of two likelihoods they act upon?

You can’t, although I guess they had been grappling with the guys arms beforehand, anyway I assume this is possibly why the selection process for counter terror police and firearms in general is so hard – must take a lot of nerve to do that??

A friend of mine in the police has commented that she finds them scary – but they are a cut above in terms of calmness.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Cougar good post – I wonder if that’s why that crowd are all stood around slack jawed not thinking that shrapnel could get them even if they are stood ten meters back? Unless you are involved directly in the melee I’m sure the police would want the public to move as far away as possible.

ayjaydoubleyou

How can they be certain in that sort of situation? Is it just the lesser of two likelihoods they act upon?

As I understand it, orders are to shoot. If you get blown up, unlucky.

I suspect the electronics in a dead mans trigger are a lot easier to get wrong (for an amateur), and are consequently less common…

In this case, if the bomb was real, it was only stage 3 of the attack. Stage 1 being running people over, stage 2 being stabbing people until overwhelmed or wounded. Doing the first two without taking your thumb off a switch could be difficult.

More probable that its a dummy, ensuring suicide by cop. Which is otherwise, I imagine, surprisingly difficult to do in this country.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

More probable that its a dummy, ensuring suicide by cop. Which is otherwise, I imagine, surprisingly difficult to do in this country.

A lot easier in some locations.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good on the police for being right where they were needed 👍

I’ve been hauled off the DLR in rush hour by a squad of burly Cops… on their way to get hold of someone else BTW.

kimbers

Yeah didn’t want to watch the video but my mate who’s is an ex copper sent me it .

Kryton57

My thoughts are with the injured and thanks are with the bravery of the bystanders and the police.

Bomb is confirmed on Sky News as a hoax, but nevertheless the police need to go with what they see at the time.  I’m glad there is a demonstrable zero tolerance to terrorism.

Kryton57

And now two members of the public confirmed dead.

There really is some people on this thread that should be utterly ashamed of themselves, really sad to see in light of the the injured and dead involved.

gauss1777
    Free Member

There really is some people on this thread that should be utterly ashamed of themselves, really sad to see in light of the the injured and dead involved.

Am I missing something, what has anybody said that they need to be ‘utterly ashamed’ about? Reading this thread is the first I’ve heard of the incident, and it’s been informative.

peter1979
    Free Member

I think some of the comments I and kryton were making reference, including my reply too, have been deleted now. Just the usual sort of rubbish from certain people which descended into petty squabbling. Typical of pretty much any thread on here really but inappropriate due to the nature of this particular thread.

revs1972
    Free Member

Wonder what that white stuff was in the bag the bloke carrying the knife away threw from his pocket

Handkerchief ? Then puts it back in his pocket ?

mooman
    Free Member

Those that tackled the attacker need their bravery recognised; probably not a good idea to reveal their identities, but in an age of giving out Knighthoods,OBE, etc to grossly over paid cyclists, footballers, singers and career civil servants, maybe its time to award genuine acts of bravery and those doing altruistic good for the public.

maccruiskeen

in an age of giving out Knighthoods,OBE, etc to grossly over paid cyclists, footballers, singers and career civil servants, maybe its time to award genuine acts of bravery and those doing altruistic good for the public.

Have you read the honours list?

mefty
    Free Member

Yeah tazers don’t make quite that kind of bang and smoke lol.

Thanks I know what a gun sounds like, it is one of the consequences of growing up on Army bases, I was even got taught how to use a wide variety of them. However, it wasn’t something to get excited about, a father who was at the sharp end in WW2 saw to that.

However, all this knowledge is pretty useless if you don’t have sound.

bearnecessities

Have you read the honours list?

a) How dare you challenge the inaccurately-reported stereotype of recipients.

b) As an inaccurately-reported stereotype, where’s mine?

theotherjonv

Multiple stabbings now being reported in the Hague too……

Drac

And now two members of the public confirmed dead.

Terrible news. 😢

jimdubleyou

Yes, people hijacking the death of two people for their own (or others) political agenda can do one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Multiple stabbings now being reported in the Hague too……

And an explosive device at Gare du Nord in Paris.

Got to hope there’s no connection between these events.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Yes, people hijacking the death of two people for their own (or others) political agenda can do one.

I really don’t see how you can hijack the death of two people by making a post on a bike forum. I was reading the cover of a book by Jon Ronson earlier (I bought for myself for Christmas) where he appears to suggest that the shaming that goes on, on social media, is a form of social control. There’s a lot said on here that I disagree with, but I’d sooner hear what people think.

Kryton57

I’d like to hear opinion also, but willy waving about the size of bullets, arguing about immigration policy, and general conspiracy theorists posting when people are lying bleeding in the back of ambulances Is very bad tastes.

Let’s used this thread to understand the events and have some humility for the brave.

jimdubleyou

TBH, I didn’t really mean what has been said on here (I haven’t seen any of the deleted posts) I was more on about the fake Jeremy Corbyn post on twitter and other shit like that.
    <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>
    Apologies if I wasn’t clear, I’ve had a few.</span>

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’d like to hear opinion also, but willy waving about the size of bullets, arguing about immigration policy, and general conspiracy theorists posting when people are lying bleeding in the back of ambulances Is very bad tastes.

Let’s used this thread to understand the events and have some humility for the brave.

A number of people on here are consistently very knowledgeable, so I would charitably suggest that when someone felt they had some knowledge about guns etc, they took that opportunity to attempt to show they too know a few things. No harm was done, or meant in what they said. Nothing said here is going to make anyone injured any worse than they already are, and your noble position make them no better. I have no idea what ‘have some humility for the brave means’.

Drac

Stop now please can we leave this thread on topic. Thanks.

mefty
    Free Member

Seems there might be a nIce story about one of the members of the public that intervened. Apparently one of them was in fishmongers hall (the building with columns in the background), on hearing about it he picked up a narwhal tusk and went to confront the guy. Apparently that is what the white pole is that can be seen in some of the footage.

Kryton57

My apologies. It wasn’t my intention to start another argument.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Seems there might be a nIce story about one of the members of the public that intervened. Apparently one of them was in fishmongers hall (the building with columns in the background), on hearing about it he picked up a narwhal tusk and went to confront the guy. Apparently that is what the white pole is that can be seen in some of the footage.

I was just coming here to report the guy who ran into battle wielding a Narwhal Tusk.

Obvs I had to fact check with reuters first.

mefty
    Free Member

Obvs I had to fact check with reuters first.

Tazer first, ask questions later.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Errr, am I wrong in thinking that if you go around wearing an explosive device (even a fake one) you are liable to be shot & killed by the authorities?
    **** Johnson/Corbyn/any other political bollox, members of the public were exposed to extreme danger by a terrorist(?) on British soil. The terrorist (?) has been erased.
    Next question?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Errr, am I wrong in thinking that if you go around wearing an explosive device (even a fake one) you are liable to be shot & killed by the authorities?

I’d certainly think so, I think Police procedure is to shoot the suspect in the head to try to cause instant death / incapacitation to reduce the risk of detonation either by activation or triggered by a bullet to the vest.

This was brought to light in the aftermath of the john charles de menezes death when the police shot him and the men who were in now way, not even close to being Special Forces fired bursts of automatic fire into his face whilst he lay dying just to be sure.

jimdubleyou

Apparently that is what the white pole is that can be seen in some of the footage.

I did wonder who had brought a broom to London Bridge. Strangely a narwhal tusk makes a lot more sense…

jon1973
    Free Member

Apologies if I missed it, but what is the connection to the lorry that was parked across the road that the police were surrounding? Doesn’t seem clear.

Houns

Haven’t seen anything else said about it, I just guessed that the driver wanted to turn around and drive away but got stuck or decided to get out and run… Perhaps the police seeing the truck in this position assumed something wasn’t right with it

thegreatape
    Free Member

Apologies if I missed it, but what is the connection to the lorry that was parked across the road that the police were surrounding? Doesn’t seem clear.

Bearing in mind previous incidents that have started with a vehicle attack, plus the odd angle of the bus, they may have wondered if it was involved, and had another attacker in it somewhere, which would merit the search at gunpoint it apparently got. That’s my guess.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

We are so awesome in this country. A man goes into battle against a terrorist to protect people he doesn’t even know armed only with a narwhal tusk? That’s so amazing. I love Great Britain.

Upsetting to hear 2 innocent people died but thanks to the selflessness and bravery of others it didn’t get to 3 or even more.

Copied from BBC website:

“ Tour guide Stevie Hurst says he saw the suspect being held down and kicked him in the head.

“We saw a guy being accosted to the floor,” he says, adding that people were “screaming” the attacker had “stabbed a couple of women.”

“Everyone was just on top of him trying to bundle him to the ground,” he says.

“We saw that the knife was still in his hand… I just put a foot in to try and kick him in the head.

“We were trying to do as much as we could to try and dislodge the knife from his hand so he wouldn’t harm anyone else.”

Even our tour guides will kick your ass.

mefty
    Free Member

There is a video on the Daily Mail site showing him being taken down by three men working together – one wielding the aforementioned Narwahl tusk, one spraying him in the face with a fire extinguisher and one seemingly unarmed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Surprise!!!

He was a convicted terrorist out on license!!! WtactulF !!!

You can’t release these scum bags ever.

Unbelievable

outofbreath
    Free Member

There is a video on the Daily Mail site showing him being taken down by three men working together – one wielding the aforementioned Narwahl tusk, one spraying him in the face with a fire extinguisher and one seemingly unarmed.

We are so awesome in this country. A man goes into battle against a terrorist to protect people he doesn’t even know armed only with a narwhal tusk? That’s so amazing. I love Great Britain.

This.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.