Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • London Bridge
  • kimbers

According to my mate -ex copper, now policing /security consultant

This was at a rehabilitation event at fishmongers , some of those injured were police / on parole

Ties in with Mail story that one of the 3 members of public that stopped him was also a murderer on day release for the event

Also
    As random as the narwahl tusk is, I’m not sure that fetishizing it as an example of great britishness is so great- Or maybe focusing on that makes it easier for people to deal with?

CountZero

As random as the narwahl tusk is, I’m not sure that fetishizing it as an example of great britishness is so great

I think it’s more to do with a tradition of grabbing the first thing that comes to hand, coupled with the rather surreal explanation that the long white object being wielded as a weapon was the modified tooth of a small cetacean! It does rather take on a life as an example of British eccentricity mixed with a get stuck in/have-a-go attitude.
    It’s quite a useful item in these sort of circumstances, a fairly hard, rigid pole a metre or so long with a nice pointy end to keep an attacker at bay.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I think it’s more to do with a tradition of grabbing the first thing that comes to hand, coupled with the rather surreal explanation that the long white object being wielded as a weapon was the modified tooth of a small cetacean! It does rather take on a life as an example of British eccentricity mixed with a get stuck in/have-a-go attitude.

This. Deadly serious situation, neutralized with comedy ad-hoc weapons.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Ties in with Mail story that one of the 3 members of public that stopped him was also a murderer on day release for the event

It’s a shame that a lot of criminals would actually be very useful in jobs that require some guts or lack of a fear response – were they to have had a better or happier upbringing.

Something about the story that a murderer stepped in makes this even sadder, not happier.

irc

Usman Khan was convicted in 2012 for his role in the Stock Exchange plot, a Christmas bomb attack on the London Stock Exchange, the American embassy and the home of Boris Johnson, who was then the London mayor.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/29/london-bridge-reports-gunshots-central-london/

The BBC report in 2012

Usman Khan, 20, and Nazam Hussain, 26, also from Stoke-on-Trent, were ordered to serve at least eight years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16968518

Presumably the 8 years dated from the arrest in 2010 and not the trial date. Longer sentences needed for terrorists?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Put religious extremism in the DSM/ICD-10 manuals and lock them up in psychiatric units indefinitely for their own safety?

There seems to be a world of difference between a committed religious extremist and a bog standard murderer or even a political terrorist – eg an IRA member.

pjm60
    Free Member

Presumably the 8 years dated from the arrest in 2010 and not the trial date. Longer sentences needed for terrorists?

He had a indeterminate sentence, which was overturned to a 16 year sentence of which he served half.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50611788

mooman
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    maccruiskeen

Subscriber

Have you read the honours list

Yes I have thanks. The genuine members of public picking up the lower trinkets whilst the politicians, celebrities etc picking up the more prestigious ones. What was your point?

raybanwomble

Put religious extremism in the DSM/ICD-10 manuals and lock them up in psychiatric units indefinitely for their own safety

Psychiatric units are hospitals, not for people with behavioural issues; there are things called prisons for those type of people.

athgray
    Free Member

Psychiatric units are hospitals, not for people with behavioural issues; there are things called prisons for those type of people.

Type in Broadmoor or Carstairs into google. You will find they are called hospitals.

mooman
    Free Member

Yes – as I said. This person is not suffering from a mental illness. What treatment will be available for a person with capacity to make their own decisions in regards to his behaviour in order to send them to hospital?

As said – psychiatric hospitals are for those with a mental disorder; prisons are things for behaviour.

athgray
    Free Member

But this person is not suffering from a mental illness

How do you know that?

mooman
    Free Member

I dont – do you know he was?

Drac

Do I really need to ask again not to argue on this thread?

athgray
    Free Member

Sorry Drac. Only just back tracked the previous page to see your warning. Apologies.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Seems respectful enough at the moment?

I don’t see how you can so easily separate the two, mental health issues and behavioural issues are intertwined. However, we could set up another thread on this if you want, to keep Drac happy?

mooman
    Free Member

… maybe best to!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

However, we could set up another thread on this if you want, to keep Drac happy?

You could PM/Email each other, cut out the middle (Drac) man? 🙂

Even I could join in. If I said what I really feel I’d get the big ban hammer. So I won’t.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.