Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Local Sayings For Local People.
  • gordimhor

Right ma tha. Pronounced ma ha.  Usually said at the end of a conversation means Right then

mucker

“Slower than sh1t in the neck of a bottle” ie how quick STW now loads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it because the ‘locals’ are all southern interlopers? A bit like yersel Loon!

I’m not from.upthere…..

I’m descended from inchrory it seems…..as far back as we can accurately trace the tree.

And the other side we were generations of crathie dwellers

On my north east roots.

psling
    Free Member

“psling to the forum please”

Hey Stu, ows thee acker cutting? I bin avin me a bit of a kip after I der yut zum fud mind. You’ll av’ta come down from thee wum and moot in the Vorest shag. Be a vyow dipple an strames ta get thee ridin ard.

Scapegoat

Thing about Yorkshire is it’s massive. I’m originally from Warwickshire, but moved first to Sheffield, then to Huddersfield, but worked in Halifax. There’s a distinct difference between Hudds and Halifax dialect and accent. I have worked in various parts of North Yorkshire, and the accents also vary town to town.

When I first got to Sheffield my landlady greeted me with my first taste of what was to be virtually unintelligible and clearly deliberate mispronunciation : “Ah reckoned ahd waieet whahl tha gorreer before ah meshed.”

I kinda got used to her eventually but my favourite moment was when we were having fish and chips for tea. She asked her daughter whether she was going to fetch them: “Iz tha bahn daahnt fatoyle?”

I used to go pheasant shooting near Pickering. One of the beaters asked the gamekeeper whether there were many birds “Are the’ part about?”

“Ah woh faydin up ont Winn’s, they’s nivver ser monny” replied the keeper.

Finally, I know the farmer on whose land Emley Moor mast stands. He has an accent that belongs in a museum. I’ve helped him with his pest control for years and have kind of got used to him, but when he was a young  teenager I took my son with me. John greeted us with a tale of how one of his ewes had been stuck in a fence and attacked by a fox or a badger. It didn’t help that every other word is an Anglo-Saxon expletive, mostly beginning with c, but he pronounces ewes as ”owse” . My lad pointed out that he actually understood about ten percent of what he was saying. After all these years I reckon I’ve never got beyond about 65% .

garage-dweller

Have we done any of….

I are not as green as I are cabbage looking (one for the East Anglians)

Needs a drop of thinners (a bit thick)

retro83
    Free Member

I didn’t realise ‘wally’ was an Essex thing. Got some strange looks asking for one with my sausage’n’chips when up North 😀

bigblackshed

“psling to the forum please”

Hey Stu, ows thee acker cutting? I bin avin me a bit of a kip after I der yut zum fud mind. You’ll av’ta come down from thee wum and moot in the Vorest shag. Be a vyow dipple an strames ta get thee ridin ard.

Now I understood most of that. Except for this bit:

vyow dipple an strames

I’ve been in the Vorest too long……..

psling
    Free Member

A “few dippy holes and streams” 🙂

singlespeedstu

Waves to Peter and slowly backs away.🙂

We’ve been down to the forest a few times and though we might bump into you at some point.

Be good to catch up.

philmccrackin
    Free Member

been watching these ‘Grandad’ vids 😀 sounds like my own grandad… southerners in the office haven’t got a clue…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV7X1Zu20a8

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I lived for a number of years in South Derbyshire, where all the men worked at pit bonk.  I think the sentence “ay nailed on a neel” was a super one.  All greetings were of course “ay up”, usually followed by “our” whoever, as in “ay up our Ada”.  And everyone went “up wom” instead of home.

Moving there at the age of 11 from a very posh and well-spoken Sutton Coldfield meant I hadn’t heard of words like nesh, mardy, etc, so I was a little confused for a while.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

South and West Black Country, ie Wollescote, Lye, Quarry Bonk n’ thet.  Often shares with Northern dialects/Saxon/Norse.  Heard these often as a kid from great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

Worramyah skraeikin’ fower?  (What are you skriking* for?)

Er’s gorra vice loka glade under a God-dawwa  (She has a voice like a gleed** under a God***-door)

God-‘ell! Av yow got God-cloth-ears’? Am askin yer – amyow a-gooin up ter the God-pub up Pens-God-nett aftah? Or wha? ( God-hell! Is your hearing impaired? I’m asking you – are you going up to the pub at Pensnett afterwards? Or what?)

*Skrike – to cry/sob

**Gleed – A small piece of coal or grit

*** The word ‘God’ is/was used liberally as a curse, in parts to such degrees as to render it tooth-less.  It just gets peppered everywhere.  God’ell amyow tekkin the god-piss? Yow’m god-jowkin ay yah? God me.

Also I heard this exclamation, as per ‘Well I never!’) –

Well, I’llgewtann (Well, I’ll go to Anne)

No idea who Anne is/was.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Up here in the North East a teacher asks some pupils in the class to construct a sentence using the word champion. Laura said “I won the sack race on sports day and was crowned champion.”  Tom said “ l made my dad a cup of tea and then tripped and spilt it in his lap, champion son effing champion he said.”

DrJ

Also “Stop laikin’ about” – laiking = playing.

<adds another to list of dialect words that are the same as Scandinavian words>

hodgynd
    Free Member

I was born in North West Durham ..where local dialects can be different within a few miles ( Langley Park is different to Stanley but less than 10 miles away ..Newcastle the same distance but another world away ..) .

I lived in Annfield Plain for the first 24 years of my life ..and at the local takeaway ( fish & chips ) ..if you wanted the same you asked for a fish n a bag ( of chips )..

I remember being too embarrassed when in a chippie in Newcastle getting exactly that ..(a fish in a bag ) ..no sign of any chips !

I mean what the hell is a fish supper !?

As kids we also used to get a ‘dab’..if we didn’t have enough money for a fish..a dab being a slice of potatoe & a slice of fish formed together and done in batter ..never seen or heard of this since .

anagallis_arvensis

Yampy wammell

Crazy dog.

Scapegoat

Hodgynd

In Halifax if you want fish and chips you simply go in and order multiples……. So fish and chips is “once please”, two fish and two chips is “twice” and so on. In York however fish and chips is “one of each”.

The “dab”you describe is well known to Sheffielders as a fish cake, but a fishcake (mashed potato and fish in breadcrumbs) is called a rissole. That gets complicated if you want a bread roll with it, ‘cos that’s a breadcake.  In Halifax and Huddersfield a breadcake, or bap, or barm is actually called a teacake. If you want a teacake you have to order a currant teacake.

CountZero

Also “Stop laikin’ about” – laiking = playing.

That’ll be a corruption of larking about, or else larking is derived from laiking, which is entirely possible; larking about is a term I’ve heard used since I was a kid.

greavo

My colleague at work is from Atherton / Leigh area of Greater Manchester and he can locally go into a chip shop and order:

Baby’s head, chip, pea, wet.

Which translates to:

Steak Pudding, Chips, Peas and Gravy

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Local Sayings For Local People.’ is closed to new replies.