Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Local Sayings For Local People.
  • bigblackshed

My Wife, Herefordian, hadn’t heard of “manky” even though it’s only 25 miles from Worcester.

Also “prang”. As in a car accident, “I’ve pranged the car.” She’d never heard of it.

None of her family had heard of either manky or prang.

athgray
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>twa pehs, a plehn bridie an’ an ingin in an’ a</span>

athgray
    Free Member

Dont know what is is going on. Start at twa above

Also read a joke the other day that had me laughing out loud.

The Queen is hosting a garden party at Holyrood. The Scottish waiter comes up to her with a tray of cakes. The queen asks;

“Is that a scone or a meringue?”

The Scottish waiter replies;

“Naw, yet quite right it is a scone.”

timidwheeler

<p style=”margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; line-height: 1.2em; color: #444444;”><div class=”bbp-reply-author” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-image: initial; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; display: flex; justify-content: flex-start; float: none; text-align: center; width: unset; color: #444444; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; border-color: initial initial #cccccc initial; border-style: initial initial dotted initial;”>
    <div class=”bbp-author-role” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 11px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent; display: flex; justify-content: flex-start; font-style: italic; float: none; width: unset; flex: 0 1 auto;”>
    <div class=”” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;”>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 4px 12px 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; color: #444444; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”></p>

<p style=”margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent; line-height: 1.2em;”><p style=”margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent; line-height: 1.2em;”>I work in the Forest of Dean. With real, proper Foresters. One guy is trying to teach me “Forest”.</p>
    Psling to the forum please.</p>

<p style=”margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; line-height: 1.2em; color: #444444;”>.</p>

An example of the complicated and little-known dialect of STW

Drac

Cuddie is a donkey Oldmanmtb.

timba
    Free Member

Am gun womm (I’m going to my place of abode) NW Leics/S Derbys

Gun wok (I’m going to my place of business) NW Leics/S Derbys

Oakie (ice cream) Leicester

maccruiskeen

Automated Train Announcement: “This train is arriving at Auchinleck – Please mind the gap when alighting from the train”

Local 1. “Mind the gap?”

Local 2. “Aye, I mind the gap.”

Local 1. “I mind that gap too. It wiz a good gap”

hodgynd
    Free Member

Watch ye divvent cowp yer creels ..

Be careful not to fall over / don’t go arse over tit.

metalheart
    Free Member

The opposite of the Doric Loon is quine.

as in “aye, she’s a fine quine (ken)…” or even “I like at quine fine”

ken is fawk at work think ah spiik funny

mahalo

my brother was visiting home from London, we were riding over the Moors above ramsbottom when he saw someone he recognised, the fella shouted “OWATHEEOREYT?” made us smile coz you only ever here that round there!!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Very similar to the shortened version a little further north:- ..alreet ?

Drac

Yup it’s a very northern phrase.

breadcrumb

I’m Cumbrian born and bred, however I had never heard the word”flatch” until about 6 months ago when the wife said our nephew was a lal flatch. Basically a flirt!

slowoldman

Some years ago up on Kinder I passed a walker coming the other way. Our greetings were as follows

HIM “Up”.

ME “Nice”.

HIM “Aye”.

ransos
    Free Member

“Were you made in St. Helens?”

cheese@4p

Frame thi’sen – get a move on
    Also “Stop laikin’ about” – laiking = playing.
    Or even – “Dont just sit there like cheese at fourpence”. Lancashire and Yorkshire, presumably originating when 4d was expensive for cheese!

natrix
    Free Member

ShitsacklShock-shack Day – King Charles’ day ( 29 May) as celebrated by good Wiltshire folk 🙂

tlr

‘9 while 5’ for the working day in Sheffield and Rotherham

’Spice’ for sweets, which got even more confusing after the drug of the same name turned up.

‘Snap’ for packed lunch.

‘Badly’ for ill. As in ‘he’s not out on the bike ‘cos he’s badly’.

slowoldman

‘9 while 5’ for the working day in Sheffield and Rotherham

Roadworks sign “Wait while red light shows” causes great confusion in Yorkshire.

andytherocketeer

Do miss a bit of Gypsy Tart (now I no longer live in Kent – not sure how far that travelled?)

aP
    Free Member

When I worked at Wolverhampton Corp…
    “Did yow dip yower bredd last noit?”
    and the old favourite – “Yowmin lie”

My mum calls an alleyway a “jittey”

Nico
    Free Member

Mardy – miserable of stroppy e.g. he’s a mardy get. Not sure of the geographical distribution of this one.
    Bostin’ – Potteries, meaning very good.
    Youth – Potteries. e.g. “ot ah rate youth?” meaning how’s it going me old mucker.
    Nesh, meaning soft, is quite widespread.
    Prang is universal. WWII as in “Ginger pranged his kite”.
    Gypsy tart? Ah yes, schooldays. And fainites.

Nico
    Free Member

On the train from Penzance to Paddington I was asked by the ticket bloke where I’d got on to. That had me flummoxed for a minute. I said Paddington, then realised the correct answer was Penzance.

tiggs121
    Free Member

A couple  from the Scottish Borders…

“Ony  Ony  Ony  Ony”

Have any of you got any on you?

Tooty efter thrie

20 minutes past 3 – as said in Hawick

plyphon
    Free Member

In Southampton we use ‘mush’ in replacement for ‘mate’ or basically anything you can think of. Often get funny looks when I use the word elsewhere in the country.

Not sure if this is a local thing, but we say ‘roy’ place of ‘keen’. As in Roy Keane.

‘You up for a few pints later?’

‘Yeah roy’

porlus
    Free Member

Used to say this one loads when I was at school.

Always thought it was a Yorkshire thing. But the missus is from Calderdale and this one has her totally stumped. Im from York so maybe its only local to that area. Anyhow, the saying is.

Meenyon Pesh – For somethings that’s really good.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Gonnae geez a plehnane

…ananinginaneana

referencing bridies where you can have a plain one but you might want

and an onion one as well

bob_summers

Who was ‘soft’ Mick? Seemed to have a lot of pretty much everything.

As in, “You’ve got more bikes than soft Mick”

‘Bikes’ can be replaced by pretty much any noun.

trailwagger
    Free Member

<p style=”background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; color: #444444; font-family: &quot; helvetica neue&quot;,&quot;helvetica&quot;,helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 14.4px; orphans: 2; outline-color: invert; outline-style: none; outline-width: 0px; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; vertical-align: baseline; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 16px 0px 16px 0px; border: 0px none #444444;”>My Wife, Herefordian, hadn’t heard of “manky” even though it’s only 25 miles from Worcester.</p>

<p style=”background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; color: #444444; font-family: &quot; helvetica neue&quot;,&quot;helvetica&quot;,helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 14.4px; orphans: 2; outline-color: invert; outline-style: none; outline-width: 0px; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; vertical-align: baseline; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 16px 0px 16px 0px; border: 0px none #444444;”>Also “prang”. As in a car accident, “I’ve pranged the car.” She’d never heard of it.</p>

<p style=”background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; color: #444444; font-family: &quot; helvetica neue&quot;,&quot;helvetica&quot;,helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 14.4px; orphans: 2; outline-color: invert; outline-style: none; outline-width: 0px; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; vertical-align: baseline; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 16px 0px 16px 0px; border: 0px none #444444;”>None of her family had heard of either manky or prang.</p>

I’m from Hereford and know all of those. We also borrow some from our Welsh neighbours – Cwtch, meaning cuddle.

trailwagger
    Free Member

GODDAMMIT !!!!!!

tiggs121
    Free Member

@trailwagger……”Fannybaws”!! Another Scottish one.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Gerroffmifutt

Ista goin chumpin ?

Both Leeds-ish

something to eight.  Barnsley, not a time but something to eat

wiggles
    Free Member

Cwtch – cuddle

Tamping – angry

Now in a minute – now

You alright or what? – not actually a question

duncancallum

Hummel doddies -fingerless gloves mid Scottish term

Appen lancs term as in ´appen your right

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s “foos yet doos”

“Aye peckin”

You want to try going right up the north east. I’m.not sure the locals even know what’s being said

Houns

Heh, as soon as I saw this thread and that you were the author I knew it was going to be “it’s a bit black over Bills Mother’s” a favourite saying of ours when working at Kinver and can see dark clouds over Dudley

metalheart
    Free Member

You want to try going right up the north east. I’m.not sure the locals even know what’s being said

Is it because the ‘locals’ are all southern interlopers? A bit like yersel Loon!

Cougar

my brother was visiting home from London, we were riding over the Moors above ramsbottom when he saw someone he recognised, the fella shouted “OWATHEEOREYT?” made us smile coz you only ever here that round there!!

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Last summer I went walking with friends down in Exeter.  After a little while of greeting oncoming walkers I came out with “ow do?” and it stuck.  Half a dozen of us all going “ow do?” to everyone we passed for the rest of the trip, some of the expressions we got back were priceless.</span>

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I work in oldham where they generally call a spade a f***ing shovel
    My favourites are “it’s cracking t’flags” which I assumed for ages meant it’s windy but turns out means it’s hot so the flags (paving stones) in your garden will crack

And we also liberally use “9 while 3” in meetings which drives our well spoken head teacher round the bend

PJay
    Free Member

From Somerset –
    Dumpsy (or Dumpsy Dark) – Twilight.

Although my Wife, who’s from a few miles away, insists that it’s Dimpsy where she comes from.

Croupie (it that’s how it’s spelled) – to crouch.

Manky – I use it all the time and didn’t even realise it wasn’t a proper word!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Local Sayings For Local People.’ is closed to new replies.