Viewing 40 posts - 3,321 through 3,360 (of 4,343 total)
  • Liz! Truss!
  • matt_outandabout

Grant Shapps is Home Secretary, does he get a new nom de plume to sell things on the side?

Grant! Shapps!

TiRed

I suspect it was India that dunnit for her. Trade agreements and students?

And I think you mean…

Michael! Green! Corinne! Stockheath! and Sebastian! Fox!, do you not. He needs four threads not one.

salad_dodger

Excellent resignation letter!

myopic
    Free Member

I read Braverman’s letter as almost deliberately doing something wrong so she could resign and point out that she made a mistake and resigned – a thinly veiled attack on Truss for not doing the same after her ‘mistake’. Reading between the lines, it’s full of criticism of Truss

dazh

This is f****** hilarious. Cruella gone and now slagging off Truss publicly. Truss’s arch enemy Shapps now home secretary at the behest of Hunt. And the ERG spitting feathers and ready to go for the jugular. I’m beginning to wonder whether we could see and ERG rebellion on the fracking vote to bring down Truss and the govt. I think we could even see a split in the party. I hope Starmer has got that manifesto ready, he’s going to be needing it very soon.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see what emails she sent from her private account that were serious enough to get her sacked

Oh, crooked Cruella, our very own hillary Clinton, that’s her trounced with the right of the party then.

For shame.

martinhutch

Thats 2 people sacked from government in a day

Hang on, who’s the other one? I only went out for a quick ride.

RustySpanner

Michael! Green!, Corinne! Stockheath! and Sebastian! Fox!

All names he used before lying to Parliament about his second job(s).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I read Braverman’s letter as almost deliberately doing something wrong so she could resign and point out that she made a mistake and resigned – a thinly veiled attack on Truss for not doing the same after her ‘mistake’. Reading between the lines, it’s full of criticism of Truss

Having now read that, I need to disagree, there is no veiling, it’s not between the lines, it’s written on the side of a bus.

multi21
    Free Member

Pretending we haven’t made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can’t see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign.

lmao

martinhutch

Yes, but counterbalance that with the fact that Jeremy Hunt would have been looking for any excuse to punt her into the weeds. So probably not entirely a principled resignation on her part, just an opportunist dig from someone who knew their cards were marked.

Still, what Priti Patel was much, much worse and she was back in government within a few years, so we may not have seen the last of this one.

colournoise

salad_dodger
    Excellent resignation letter!

Going to disagree. It’s self-centred, self-righteous and self-serving. Yes, it does twist the knife a bit, but sadly it’s exactly what I’d expect from any of the current crop of underachievers – totally without vision, empathy, or thought of anything other than saving their own precious little arse.

Klunk
    Free Member

see the pound is heading south again….

frankconway

Looks to me like a deliberate mistake, possibly relatively minor, which she has engineered to allow a ‘principled’ resignation and then immediately lay into truss.

crazy-legs

matt_outandabout
    “Security”?

*raises eyebrow*

Posted 18 minutes ago

Shame that was at the bottom of the previous page, the Blackadder reference deserves a 👏👏

Poopscoop

This is bloody epic.

The Tory’s are tearing themselves apart, in real time, as we watch on.

Starmer might as well go on holiday for a while and let them crack on.

The Brexiteers on Twitter are having a meltdown!

pk13

I will type it again Chris grayling anyone???
    Special adviser

gonefishin
    Free Member

The Tory’s are tearing themselves apart, in real time, as we watch on.

for the second time in six months

dander

Looks to me like a deliberate mistake, possibly relatively minor, which she has engineered to allow a ‘principled’ resignation and then immediately lay into truss.

You think she’s that smart??!

Houns

molgrips
    Free Member

The BBC selection of interviews with Tory members up there ^^ is interesting. Most of them are just talking about the consequences for the party. They seem unconcerned with the consequences for the poor and vulnerable people of the country.

martinhutch

They seem unconcerned with the consequences for the poor and vulnerable people of the country.

Well, duh. They’re Tory party members. Way past the ‘developing a social conscience and empathy for others’ stage.

RustySpanner

Ms Coffey, in her role as the the reincarnation of Bernard Manning, threatened Nurses with replacing them with migrants if we decide to strike.

Can’t imagine that went down well with Swella.

crazy-legs

threatened Nurses with replacing them with migrants if we decide to strike.

Amazing isn’t it how we don’t want any migrants coming over here taking Proper British Jobs (while also simultaneously scrounging all our benefits), yet the minute there’s any threat of disruption, we’re looking to them to save the day…

I wonder if any of the Tories see that slight disconnect?

kelvin

She also told nurses to leave the profession if they need to earn more. In the middle of an NHS staffing crisis; and a cost of living crisis. She’s scum. Destructive, dangerous, uncaring, useless scum.

pk13

That poor copper on the door of number 10 must be dizzy with all this in/out going on.

Poopscoop

Good comment on Twitter, I can’t embed for some reason:

To the comments saying events in government are a ‘remainer coup’

You had it all. You got your Brexit. You got the keys to the kingdom. You had all the pieces on the board. And in response, the pound and economy verged on collapse.

It’s not a coup, it’s a damn rescue operation

kimbers

Tofu anyone?

reluctantjumper

So let me get this straight as I’ve been keeping away from news sources for a few hours:

If Tory MP’s vote against the Labour motion they’re breaking a Manifesto promise and voters will be royally pissed off with them which won’t go well and they’ll most likely lose their seat come the next election.
    If Tory MP’s vote for the Labour motion then they will have their Whip removed, it’ll be seen as a VONC in Truss and they will risk alienating voters even more while they find a new leader and they’ll most likely lose their seat at the next election.

Both options have the same outcome for them but have massive ramifications for everyone else. Sweepstake on how many abstain?

kelvin

More than that… Labour get a chance to take control of the order paper if they can win the vote, and start putting a fracking ban into law… which means more votes on it for Tories to rebel and vote for what they promised in 2019. The opposition have properly outplayed them, from a position of facing a government with a big majority.

RustySpanner

Crisis, what crisis?

I drove 180 miles on Tuesday, transporting patients whist supposedly second in charge of a secure mental health ward.

11 hours out of a 12 hour shift.

I watched an A&E Doctor break down in tears in a packed waiting room where one elderly lady had been waiting 12 hours to be seen for a possible stroke.
    I comforted a lad with severe mental issues whilst he watched his father die.
    I took another lad with an urgent, life threatening condition to be seen at a local hospital, where the staff had to decide who to see first and who to leave outside in an ambulance, because of staff shortages.

I came home and turned on the telly to see this woman tell me that she genuinely didn’t care about any of it.

How do you think I’m voting?

Poopscoop

@ reluctantjumper

If they abstain they still lose the whip I think. They have to vote “NO*”.

*Caps as used in the leaked memo.

kelvin

Yup, three line whip… vote against (the thing you promised to vote for) or lose the whip.

kelvin

frankconway

dander – no, not smart; definitely conniving.

frankconway

Under a three line whip, abstention is generally viewed by whips as comparable with voting against.
    Will be a very interesting result.

crazy-legs

When is this fracking vote?

reluctantjumper

More than that… Labour get a chance to take control of the order paper if they can win the vote, and start putting a fracking ban into law… which means more votes on it for Tories to rebel and vote for what they promised in 2019. The opposition have properly outplayed them, from a position of facing a government with a big majority.

Didn’t realise that, that is sublime.

kelvin

Thank you @RustySpanner , we all need you and your colleagues. Sorry that as a country we’re taking advantage of your sense of duty of care for others. Let’s hope we can change that. You shouldn’t have to listen to scum like her from a position of power like that. She can’t be got rid of a second too soon in my opinion.

benpinnick

When is this fracking vote

7pm

Viewing 40 posts - 3,321 through 3,360 (of 4,343 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.