Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Light 1-2 person tents.
  • Spin
    Free Member

After an ‘in at the deep end’ intro to mountain marathons a few weeks ago at the Highlander I’m finding myself drawn to do more of the same.

It will probably see more use as a one man tent but I like the idea of being able to use it for 2 at the odd MM.

My budget is £300 max, I’d like it to weigh less than 1.3kg and the current 2 front runners are Vaude Power Lizard SUL and the Terra Nova Laser Competition 2 both of which are currently available for about that price in sales.

Does anyone have experience of either of these or suggestions for other models to look at?

Ta

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The new Alpkit ones look good?

Alpkit

Spin
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about them. Ta.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was over at Bob’s, backpackinglight.co.uk , open day at his warehouse near here the other day. Had a good mooch about the grass area where he had put up over 20x tents from his stock. Was fantastic opportunity to see them all up and ready for inspection.

By a full country mile, the best 1 man tent there IMO was the Luxe Mini peak
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html

it was on special too, and I was so close to buying it, but I already have a GoLite Den 2 so couldnt justify it. Although interestingly, Bob (from whom I bought the Den 2, nearly 9 years ago) asked to borrow it to have a go at making a template copy as it’s such a low weight design, but GoLite no longer make it.

Luxe is a chinese outdoor brand so a bit below the radar.
    http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/index.asp

the MSR and Vaude tents really did seem to be too complicated, too heavy, and v much too expensive in comparison.

Cougar

By a full country mile, the best 1 man tent there IMO

Could you tell us a bit more about how?

tomkerton
    Free Member

TNF Tadpole 2. I love mine, it’s lasted years, it fine for two big lads for one night and very comfortable solo for longer trips and it meets your spec – 1.3kg and can be got for £200 ish.

Stoner
    Free Member

the vaude and msrs had really complex pole systems. The MSRS had really unusable porch space – you couldnt really make a descent sheltered cooking space, and of course by having full size sleeping nests, with no atriums, all you rwet kit had to be inside the nest with you.

The Luxe made the most of it’s footprint, being a simply pyramid used just one straight, collapsible pole (which means in an emergency, you can fashion a spare from a stick – not a chance with the other manufacturers) The MSR and Vaude offerings had up to 5x poles with complex joints and nest hanging/attachment systems. Just really fiddly when you need a shelter up quickly in the dark, driving piss down.

With a sleeping nest that sat in half the tent, you had good space out of rain for kit, but also the door opening gave plenty of space for a sheltered canteen area.

ianfitz
    Free Member

It looks like a good sized tent for one but you would not fit 2 people in the 85cm wide sleeping nest of that Luxe!

richpips
    Free Member

The Alpkit weighs a smidge over 1.2kg all in. That Luxe will weigh 1.6+ once you add a pole.

There is room in the Ordos 2 for 2 adults without having to get too cosy.

MSP

Personally can’t stand tents that slope down like that. the advantage of tents like the msr’s is the walls rise up and make much more usable space.

My recommendation would be for a tarptent scarp 1, although I am not sure how much they are going for.

manton69

I still love my Suanders JetPacker. That is properly light and will do 2 people. I think the weight is around 1400g (from memory). You can still find them on ebay and I have just picked up a Saunders Basecamp for £40 as my wife loves them and can’t find a modern equivalent that she likes enough.

Spin
    Free Member

TNF Tadpole 2. – 1.3kg and can be got for £200 ish.

More like 2.3kg!

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a 1.1Kg 2 man (proper 2 man, incl pole weight), but sometimes a few 100gs are worth the trade off for how you use space.

A 1 man tent doesnt need vertical sides. Its not in itself usable space if you dont need it for using. A porch is more useful than 50cm of vertical height around the perimeter….obviously all IMO.

the good thing about the range of options out there is that there are solutions for lots of different approaches. I value super-simplicity over complex geodesic/multi-pole mansions.

TheBrick
    Free Member

By a full country mile, the best 1 man tent there IMO was the Luxe Mini peak
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html

I’ve been looking at that since seeing another Luxe tent on Pete Jones’ Blog. Looks well worth it. Can’t beilve it is so hard to find Luxe tents in the uk

Stoner
    Free Member

brick – on special at Bobs right now 🙂

come and visit and he’ll demo it for you. And you get to ride mount malvern if you bring your bike too!

johnnystorm

Tents?

Tarps are where it’s at. 😀

richpips
    Free Member

Tarps are where it’s at.

Not for Mountain Marathons.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Spin – oh yeah, thanks for correction! My mistake. Sorry!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

1.5kg for a tent which you still have to buy a pole for? No thanks.

I recently did the research for exactly the same requirements. The Terra Nova looked good, but is flimsy and expensive. I ended up with the Force 10 Helium 2 which is 1.45kg complete. There is a slightly lighter Helium 1 but I wanted the additional space.

I’ve tried it a few times now and can’t fault it yet. Space to cook and store wet kit, goes up quickly and easily and pitches as one (fly and inner together). Sems very waterproof – I pitched it on sodden grass and nothing came through. All good really, for around £200.

ianpv
    Free Member

I just got a trekker tent stealth, which seems good – only put it up in the garden. Definitely one person only, but a big porch, pitches outer first, needs two poles or trekking poles, one of which slightly blocks the entrance. Can be used without the nest for a superlight shelter. Looking forward to trying it out, but I’m impressed by the pack size & weight (around 1Kg inc poles and pegs). He does a 2 person version too…

convert

MSR Hubba (1person) and Hubba Hubba (2person, luxury 1 person) always get good reviews. Come in nx and hp flavours for slightly different specs.

pete68
    Free Member

Used my alpkit ordos 2 on a overnight bike trip last week. Really light and quick and simple to erect. Reasonably spacious too for what it is. I could sit upright in it ok.

Junkyard
    Free Member

robben do a similar tent to stoners favourite but it is a 4 man sleeping – would not like to try it with 4 mind

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/tents-backpacking-tents/robens/robens-stratos-tent-pd-5873.php

What I use for me and my kids and a tarp to extend for all the stuff Stoner suggests for his 1 man tent

tragically1969
    Free Member

In mid camp you will be in a field of Terra Nova Laser Competitions and normal Lasers.

Can be got for a quid under your budget.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what this is like but replace the pegs with some ti ones and it’s a decent weight. I’m not sure I’d want to use it on a mountain but should be OK for summer as a starter kit.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-21-may/product-detail/ps/p/product-page-43/

Kunstler

I was just about to post a link to the Aldi tent. A couple of years back I spent two weeks up in the north west of Scotland in a £30 Argos tent that did amazingly well. It stood up to a nasty storm (although I did pitch it in a bunker in the dunes) when lots of other tents got shredded by the wind. The only trouble with it is that it’s orange. I like to blend in a bit better so I’m going to try the Aldi green.

stevemorg2

I’ve a minipeak I’m thinking of selling – it’s only been used a few times and is in great condition – I’ve got an MSR pole and some Alpkit pegs I could include

footflaps

I used a Macpac Microlight for my last KIMM, sold it on here as I don’t do MMs any more.

13thfloormonk

I think the point has already been made but North Face advertise the Tadpole 2 as 1.3kg for the ‘fastpack weight’ which I would guess means inner only (for guaranteed dry climates) or fly only. Either way no good for mountain marathon! Great tent though.

jimw
    Free Member

I have a MacPac Eclipse, it is 20 years old this year. I use it regulalry and it is still waterproof and sound. Ideal for backpacking but at 2.4kg may be too heavy for your purpose. The microlight is smaller and lighter and likely to be as well made.

Expensive but it has lasted so well I think MacPac equipment is good value

Spin
    Free Member

Some good leftfield suggestions folks. Unfortunately, tarp style shelters and designs that use walking poles aren’t going to work for me.

GregMay
    Free Member

Vote for Terra-Nova here. OR is you can find one a North FaceO2 I thoroughly recommend them: Ohh thats yellow. They ain’t warm though.

damascus
    Free Member

You could use a cheap tent outer, ditch the inner to save weight and use a Bivvi bag inside. Kind of half way between the two. Then it’s not that important if the cheap tent is 100% waterproof

Spin
    Free Member

You could use a cheap tent outer, ditch the inner to save weight and use a Bivvi bag inside

That doesn’t work for mountain marathon regs. Plus, although it’s cheap you don’t end up saving much weight especially when split between 2.

AlasdairMc

The Laser Comp is an excellent piece of kit. Double skin, good sized and the porch big enough for a bag or two. Under a kilo in one person form, pitches in minutes, holds in all weathers.

somafunk

I use a lunar solo from six moon designs, very roomy for 1person and two can fit at a squeeze with a decent vestibule area, relatively light at under 1kg, packs up very small but only a single skin design which may put you off. Not that I’ve had any condensation issues as it is very well ventilated with an integral bathtub floor. It does need seem sealed but that takes an hr or two at most and it can be used with a walking pole as support or the Easton carbon pole (costs an extra £30 but worth it). I’ve had my lunar solo for 2yrs+ and I’m still very pleased with it. From packed to erect and functional in under 2 minutes although my first few attempts in the garden took considerably longer. I’ve used it in some pretty miserable windy n’ wet conditions up in the Galloway hills and its performed above my expectations so I see no reason to change it.

Should leave you £100 spare from your budget which could go on a lightweight mattress. My sleep system – tent/mattress and 3season down bag weigh under 2kg for all.

seosamh77
    Free Member

good old zephyros 2, I bloody love mine, you can use the outer only if you liked. probably take it down to 1.1/2kg ish (mines weighs 1.74kg all in).

It’s a bit low in the inner, but I discovered the other week that when it’s no midgy, you just un pin it from a few spots and hey presto, hunners of space.

You’ll get it cheaper than the above.

RichT

Another shout for the Wild Country Zephyros Range. I’ve got the 1 man lite version. It’s a good combination of light weight and reasonable value. It also has decent space for kit and is longish. I’m about 6 foot and find my head touches the end of lots of tents and gets wet, but not a problem with this. I should probably have got the 2 man version which gives lots of room without much more weight.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Keep an eye on Gaynors.. they had the Zephyros2 for £75 Its been on and off their site a few times in the last few weeks

grum
    Free Member

Really pleased with my MSR Hubba NX – got it second hand for £145 and it’s great – very roomy for 1 with a decent sized porch for rucksack, boots and space for cooking, easy to set up. Weighs about 1.3 kilos. Only drawback I can see is it pitches inner first which might not be ideal in the rain.

Got it from this Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/usedgearexchangeuk/?fref=ts

Worth keeping an eye on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Light 1-2 person tents.’ is closed to new replies.