Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Light 1-2 person tents.
  • Craggyjim
    Free Member

I have a Big Agnes SL2 which I really rate. Well made and free standing. Weighs 1.2kg and is a comfortable 2 person. It’s not a warm tent though as the inner is fully mesh.

bones
    Free Member

I’ve got the older TN Laser, which I love, but it’s really a roomy 1 man – you’d be spooning with 2.

brassneck

That Luxe looks just the ticket for bike packing / touring. I’ll take 400g of weight and £200 in my pocket then every time.

Make a nice beach shelter with some sand pegs too.

Stoner
    Free Member

aye. it’s the simplicity. 4x pegs and then climb under with a pole and you have a shelter in seconds. I cant think of much worse than faffing around with a complex geodesic, multi pole thing in the rain.

br
    Free Member

By a full country mile, the best 1 man tent there IMO was the Luxe Mini peak

It’s not a tent, but a flysheet…

My ‘lightweight’ tent, 30 years old. A couple of kg’s, but sleeps 2 in comfort and although single-skinned it’s Goretex so you can lean against it.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26949

footflaps

The Macpac tents are nice as they pitch outer first which is very hand when pitching in torrential rain (as I’ve had to do on a KIMM before). They also have bathtub ground sheets which are handy when the campsite floods as it does occasionally on KIMMs….

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s not a tent, but a flysheet…

well all 2x piece tents can be a flysheet before you put the nest/ground sheet up 🙄

br
    Free Member

well all 2x piece tents can be a flysheet before you put the nest/ground sheet up

Eh?

But it came just with a flysheet, or have I missed something?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

My qualification for a tent would be, can it protect you from midgies, rain and wind. If not’s not a full tent!

missed something. So did seosamh77

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html

mogrim

Er, the bedroom bit on the inside?

Edit: Stoner’s 7s faster than me!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    So did seosamh77

I didn’t actually look at the tent. Deleted my post when I did! 😆 It fits my criteria! 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

you’re forgiven. As long as you explain how you pronounce seosamh. It looks like one of those Oirish names like “Siobhan”, but pronounced “Alison Perrywinkle”

Unless your name is Sam H, born in 1977, and you are a search engine optimiser in which case that’s really boring….

seosamh77
    Free Member

joseph works for most!

showsiv, showsav, showsa, something like that, I don’t actually speak gaelic, so who knows 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

“How do you do, what’s your name?”
    “Joseph”
    “How are you spelling that?”
    “S, e, o, s, a, m, h”
    “Don’t take the piss sunshine.”

seosamh77
    Free Member

haha 😆

brassneck

I cant think of much worse than faffing around with a complex geodesic, multi pole thing in the rain.

.. and having done so, have a hyperactive 3 year old jump on it and break the poles 👿

Quick weekend camping trip, just grabbed the two little tents and went. The rest of the family were in the tunnel tent I got left with an improvised bivvy held up with sticks and beach spades.

grum
    Free Member

I cant think of much worse than faffing around with a complex geodesic, multi pole thing in the rain.

You must have an extremely poor imagination.

It’s generally fairly easy to rig up the outer as a basic tarp/cover while you put up the inner if you really have to, and it’s pretty quick/simple to put up anyway.

The tent you linked to does look good though – how stable is it in high winds? Good that it has a big porch – I’d hate to have a tent with little/no porch. Makes a massive difference to ‘liveability’ I reckon.

djtom
    Free Member

In the usual STW “vote for what you’ve got” I’ll recommend the terra nova laser comp 1. OK it’s not a roomy tent and you’ll be positively intimate with two of you in it (good excuse to race with a girl rather than with a hulking great bloke)! They’re 1000g as standard and less if you start modding bits, and as long as you pitch them properly they’re fine in seriously bad weather – ask anyone who did OMM in the Brecons in 2013. They’re popular for a reason!

Keep an eye on eBay. I picked mine up for £120 in as new condition. They turn up pretty regularly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Vau De Lizard that must’ve been used about 5 times (maybe 6) & can take 2 Polaris riders. Can’t see me using it again, I’d rather bothy. I’m sure it was about £120 from The LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle (bought for my son who never used it) Not dead sure about It’s weight but I recall It’s 1.5kg?
    Email me if interested.

billyboy
    Free Member

I have a Nordisk Telemark 1 which they advertise at 830 grams, but with a couple of sensible extra pegs and guy lines is nearer 950 grams. I’ve only spent five nights out in it in the Highlands, and four of those were very tame weather for a Highland October. It coped ok with the one hostile night I had but it wasn’t extreme stuff! Warm nights bought more condensation than I’ve been used to but the stormy night vented it well and no rain came through. There was a bit of inner tent in your face scenario, but it was not as oppressively small inside as the original Jet Packers used to be. There again it is not as comfortable as a Hilliberg Akto, but it is a whole heap smaller when packed up than both those tents, and it is way lighter. Mind bogglingly small pack size…even!!

I found the trade off between lightness of packing for a four day self supported bike trip through the wilds with all my food etc, against comfort was good for me.

I paid just a tadge over your budget for mine. At the time I bought it THEY DID DO A TWO PERSON VERSION that was nearer the 1kg mark.

I think I’d need a few more hostile nights out in it to give it a total vote of confidence, but so far I’m impressed.

richpips
    Free Member

In the usual STW “vote for what you’ve got” I’ll recommend the terra nova laser comp 1.

I had one for a while. Particularly finickity to pitch so that it didn’t flap was my recollection.

Can’t argue with the weight though esp. the cuben fibre one. 😈

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a nordisk 1 person 4 season tent, weighs 1.4 after I replaced the pegs with alpkit ti pegs.

Slightly heavier than other tents but confident it would survive a bad night. I picked it up in a sale from Keswick half price at £144. I’m 6ft3 and I fitted in it fine.

Also has a bit of an awning for cooking.

Roles up very small. Would highly recommend it.

cloudnine
    Free Member
    MadBillMcMad

bookmarked

footflaps

I find geodesic tents the easiest to put up as you don’t need to bother with pegs unlike tunnel tents…

Kunstler

Just for the record, though I don’t think many on this thread would consider it: I took the Aldi tent back as it wasn’t really going to be up to what I’d like to use it for. Having said that, I’ve been reading of folk using bivi bags on the HT550 and wonder if it’s not me that’s a bit inadequate.

Tangent: I took the Argos tent out to the garden to compare and realised what a good tent that was by comparison. Opening it up and catching that faint odour from the last time I used it brought back the traumatic memory of the last time I slept in it: underneath An Teallach unable to properly warm up after getting beaten back and soaked on the mountain then besieged by the worst midge attack ever. To cheer myself up, with a just-strong-enough phone signal I followed the Olympic opening ceremony thread on here. A somewhat bizarre juxtapostion of scenarios.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Best one I had was the (now discontinued) so-called ‘tigerpaws’ (Proaction Hike Light) from Argos which copied a much more expensive Sierra Designs tent. 15 quid in the sale. Its greatness wasn’t so much the price but it did what I wanted it to do, you could easily get dressed in it and camp for longer periods, packed tiny in own compression sack, and weighed less than 2kg without any mods. Useful porch too that could be easily modded as a windbreak/cook area. Shame mine was orange so wild camping was out. Which reminds me – MR junior has one stashed away unused somewhere, must get my mitts on it 😈

If I had the cash today I’d buy a more expensive sil-nylon version of the same design by Nordisk:

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/Products/5703384023058/svalbard-tent-si-1

Kunstler

I think that might be the one I have Malvern Rider (was much talk of it on here many years ago I think). A friend convinced me to take his tent rather than my 2-man Vango on a two week trailer biking trip in the NW Highlands. Bad planning on my part but I didn’t even get a chance to look at it until I was rushing into a wood in the near dark in Torridon Glen. I could have wept. Bright orange and looking a lot less robust than my Vango I didn’t think it or myself would last two weeks in the Highlands it turned out to be ace.

Edit (as you’ve edited in that link): this one isn’t as good that.

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I’ve gone with the TN Laser comp 2 for a variety of reasons.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a TNF Starfire (I think) which appears to be similar to the Tadpole.

20 eyars on and the groundsheet is fully permeable. It may now be sagging a bit but I struggle (at 6′ 0.5″) not to touch the inner when asleep. Think it’s about 2.5kg and a bit tight for 2 so I might upgrade – that Alpkit on looks good.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Light 1-2 person tents.’ is closed to new replies.