Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 636 total)
  • Lets talk about Man Utd
  • timc
    Free Member

Hows it going for Utd now? 😆

Moyes is a MYTH, inherits the Champions & £70m spent on x2 Players & he is 11 points off 4th…

loddrik
    Free Member

All dynasties come to an end. That’s how things work. Get over it. It would be supremely arrogant to assume that the next manager after ferguson would kick on where he left off. Utds era is over. Just like ours was over at the beginning of the 90’s. And as a liverpool fan I find it hilarious that all their whinging fans are all over the phoneins decrying their right to success…

croen
    Free Member

David Moyes has promised fans of Manchester United that they will be in a major European competition next year… even if he has to write the song himself.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to the Man U fans
    Get Over Yourselves, things change, your squad is ageing, Fergie did what he did with all his good players, got shot just before they were past it. It’s good for football to see 3/4 teams still in with a chance this season and Newcastle with a chance of finishing above Man u.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Something something

You’ll never walk alone

Flounce

matther01
    Free Member

Must admit Moyes was definitely not my first choice and would have loved Guardiola.

Given an ageing team and the end of Fergie’s reign we were always looking at a colossal transition period and I can accept it, however much I dislike it.

Personally I would rather spend extra money trying to bring some lads through the youth academy than on players like Fellani ala class of 93.

20 years or so at the top sometimes requires a reality check…a bit like what happened to Liverpool. We however won’t take so long as them to regain our composure! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Sure?

Serious question. It means a squad revamp which is big cost. Would the Glazers actually spend c £200m extra?

MSP

What astonishingly round figures, almost like they were just rounded up on the spot.

FTFY

And this website says they were.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

Yep exactly where I got the figures from.

You can pick from when City changed owners if you like, maybe I will choose the period that fergie took over at Utd and inherited the most expensive team in world football at the time, never been shy to splash the cash ovver the years either, 32 mill for ferdinand, that would be 80 million in today’s market, 25 mill for RVP, 27mill for sideshow bob, 37 mill for Mata etc etc.

I am certainly not claiming that city haven’t spent a good wedge on their squad as have chelsea. But the whinging united fans claiming that they haven’t spent money on their own squad are delusional at best, over the past 2 seasons, they are right up there with city and chealsea, and far ahead of other teams above them in the league.

slackalice
    Free Member

How feasible would it be that AF didn’t want his successor to be as successful as him? He left with no succession planning in place, an ageing squad and then didn’t utilise the established coaching team to carry on where he left off.

I cite the great Liverpool era of Shankly, who put in place in his number 2, Bob Paisley – who, IMHO, is still the greatest club manager this country has ever seen.

As you were 🙂

hora
    Free Member

27mill for sideshow bob

I LOL’d 😆

binners

Saccades – that article is remarkably prosaic

I think those (mainly scouters and leeds fans) gleefully predicting the permanent demise of United are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking, and conveniently forgetting what a good squad Moyes built at Everton, on a limited budget. Which Martinez is reaping the benefits of now. Thats what he’s been brought in to do at OT.

Delivering instant results would have been nice, but more than a tad optimistic, to say the least. I don’t think any United fans really thought, looking at the squad we’ve got, that we’d be challenging for the title this year. Realistically; top four isn’t impossible, but its very very unlikely now

But at the Emirates the other night we actually looked like a United team for the first time this season. So hopefully thats the sign of things to come

I did genuinely have a laugh when one of my scouse mates observed ‘well… thats what happens. Mid-table sides always up their game when they’re playing the top four” 😀

martinhutch

Utd won the league not playing particularly well last season, and have carried on with that form into this season. Arsenal, City and Liverpool have all improved, Utd have simply stayed the same.

The other factor is RVP missing a chunk of the season. He basically won the league for them last time around and I’m pretty sure they would be top four or at least 5th or 6th and in touch with CL places if he’d been fit.

Moyes main mistake was thinking that he could introduce a familiar grafting culture from Everton just by transplanting Felliani across. He could see the midfield and defensive frailties developing, and was desperate to shore things up for a season.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All dynasties come to an end. That’s how things work. Get over it

Yes we really should learn how to accept this fact ans there is no better example than Liverpool fans stoic acceptance of this 😉

That said Rodgers is doing a great job and he has certainly rebuilt them, upped their game and given them consistency.

But the whinging united fans claiming that they haven’t spent money on their own squad are delusional at best

I dont think anyone is saying that but to claim they are up there with the likes of city in terms of spending power [ fees and wages – you cannot ignore the wages part ] is delusional.

Delivering instant results would have been nice, but more than a tad optimistic, to say the least

Whatever you want to say about the team ageing, replacing fergie, bad luck it is hard to see Jose reigning over such a demise.

The jury really is out on Moyes at the moment and we have no chance of champions league football and we are nowhere near as good as Liverpool at the minute.
    I supported his appointment tbh but it is looking increasingly like he is a good manager for a struggling team but lacks the finesse to inspire flair players to play well _ the peter principle in operation perhaps, time will tell but this season he has achieved very very little to put it mildly and may well be out his depth [ he has not been helped by injuries, luck or the team though]

MSP

I dont think anyone is saying that

Yes they are, you do it again claiming they haven’t matched city’s spending in the very same paragraph. United have always been big spenders, they have only been outspent by city for a few years. In the past two seasons United have outspent city.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I said we cannot match city in terms of spending power – do you wish to claim Man u are richer than City or can match them ?[ Given the above I suspect you do 😉 I mean they have billionaiire owners/backers/ Man U have a debt purchase and huge loans to repay. I did not say we have not spent – you are so intent on this issue that you are not even reading/comprehending

Using the link you used
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-united-transfers.html
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-city-transfers.html
    Man u 67 this year [ including mata] 63 last year

Man city 103 this year 54 last year

I shall let you do the maths on that one
    The combined total is about £200 million less spent by Man u as well but hey you might just be right 😛

Its not even a debate your own links disproves your claim though its only 30 million – i think we started the chat pre Mata as well.

Again Man u are very rich and have huge spending power but City have more financial fire power as they have billionaire backers. I dont see why anyone would want to argue or debate this tbh and clearly the facts are not going to get in the way here.

Man U are rich and have spent shit loads recently City , after chelsea did the same have spend loads on wages and transfer fees. its not even controversial

MSP

You seem to think I made the first salvo in the spending claims, i am just refuting claims that Utd haven’t been spending on players, as you can see united have in fact been spending big.

by the way, net spend

man city 90 this year 14 last 48 the year before
    United 67 this year 51 last 38 the year before

So over three years actually quite similar,

Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed but 200 million less since city hit it big and if you factor in wage spend probably the same again

Yes utd are not at all poor and they do spend big.

no one is in the same league as Man City though

we will remain top 5 spenders for ever I would assume given the fan base and income

binners

Interestingly it was on the North West news last night that City are going ahead with their plan to expand Wastelands to a 60,000+ capacity. So the 2 biggest capacity grounds in the country (developing the most revenue) will be in Manchester. Credit where its due. City are being very clever, with the new fair play rules, at generating revenue. Which is all then being spent on the squad

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure rumours are some will appeal to fair play

IIRC there shirt sponsorship deal is something like 10 x the value of any other and they did this [ via a company they won] to get round the rules

yes they are building for the future though but i guess the issue is will the owner ever get bored

loum
    Free Member

Forget “more”. City have spent better.

So have Chelski, mostly, A few signings still look like they were made to spite rivals but there’s real quality too.

Jury’s still out on Buck’s Liverpool spending. Sturridge , Mignolet and Countiniho success.
    Aspas, Borrini, Allen, Sahko, Cissoko, Illori, Toure, Moses, Alberto, Assaidi, yet to prove better than what was there. But he has brought through a few kids from Rafa’s youth set up and got results out of some good Kenny signings- Suarez and Henderson.
    Things take time though, and there’s as many misses as hits. Will utd have the patience for Moyes to come good (with youngsters especially) or is he a sacrificial stop-gap to break the link and set it up for the next guy?

hora
    Free Member

I wonder if the coaches will still come from Wales to support Man U if Moyes is kept on..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who is the guy with the #5 on his back?

And the bloke in the padded jacket?

Sad to watch tonight, should have gone for a run instead

Jamie
    Free Member

On the one hand *chuckle*, on the other, I wish Joel Campbell had been recalled by Arsenal for this season now his work permit has been sorted.

Anyway. Man Utd are a team totally shot of confidence. Crazy really, given what they did last season.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Did you just see that olympiakos sub, I think he’s in the Doritos band!

Junkyard
    Free Member

we have had more of the ball than your lot did – sadly we have no idea what to do with it and we so lack desire – that last bit is unforgivable.

Looking more like he is a great manager of a struggling team ,like Pulis, and out of his depth in a quality team

Can you see this happening if we has Jose ?

Declares thinking moyes was the right choice

uwe-r
    Free Member

He’s on!

Jamie
    Free Member

Woooosh!

allthepies
    Free Member

RVP 😆

crossland
    Free Member

How was that not on target??

cfinnimore
    Free Member

*whistles you’ll never walk alone quietly in the corner then disappears humming “top of the league”*

snarf

tiggs121
    Free Member

Strangely – Man U are much better than Olympicos but will they score 3 without reply? I doubt it.

If RVP scores and they would be favourites but he didn;t and they’re not.

Bimbler
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member

You have to feel for Moyes 🙁

rudebwoy
    Free Member

United- really are the gift that keeps on giving–

the bookies are way behind the curve-and all the mug punters who follow that strange ‘logic’-fav must win !

level stakes with every team thats played utd so far this season +58 points –that is some gift!

binners

An absolutely woeful display last night. There was an awful lot of swearing at the telly. The worst european performance I’ve ever seen by a United team. They looked like a bunch of people who’d never met before, who’d inadvertently wandered into the stadium by accident. Embarrassing.

I still don’t think Moyes is the main problem. Watching that abject nonsense last night, theres a list of people who’ve had their chance, and have demonstrated repeatedly that they’re just not up to playing at this level

hora
    Free Member

You know Binners if alot of Man U fans who say they are fans actually bought a ticket/season ticket/bought their latest shirts etc- they might be able to afford some top-drawer new players.

Just saying like 😉 😆

binners

Theres little point Hora. They can afford to buy top drawer players. And always have been able too. They just choose to spend the money propping up loses-making American shopping malls, and servicing the debts of the owners instead

This is just the way the club has been run, coming home to roost. It was always a case of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ the wheels were going to come off

johndoh
    Free Member

I think the best thing for Ferdinand now is for him to be humanely put down.

weeksy

Afford some expensive new players ? You mean like Mata ? or Fellaini ? or an £80m contract for Rooney ?

I wish some people would get rid of the concept that Man Utd are not and have not spent money…. they’re spending it…. just not very well, or arguably enough of it….

binners

Thats panic buying though, now that the reality is sinking in that they’ve failed to invest in the squad sufficiently, for season after season, enough to keep them in the top 4

Like I said – this is all just coming home to roost now

Because since the Glazers took over, the club has been run as a personal cash-cow for a bunch of American parasites, rather than a football club. Its a bloody miracle, and a testament to how good he is, that Fergie managed to keep it on the rails for this long

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk about Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.