Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 636 total)
  • Lets talk about Man Utd
  • grum
    Free Member

I think the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. Yes Moyes looked well out of his depth, but skilled professionals on huge salaries (and Fellaini 😛 ) shouldn’t be sulking like little kids and looking like they can’t be arsed.

hora
    Free Member

The difference is that United spent the income it generated, as it was a massively profitable business.

They still spend lots. Lets not forget Chelsea, City had to build squads up from a long way off.

Now other Prem teams are up there and spending similar amounts keeping their teams topped up like Man U I cant see Man U ever having the same dominance, no?

Jamie
    Free Member

Out of interest, do you follow a particular club, Hora? Or is a lot of this just Binners baiting?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now other Prem teams are up there and spending similar amounts keeping their teams topped up like Man U I cant see Man U ever having the same dominance, no?

Hopefully no club will dominate for 10 years, if nothing else the PL product is exciting football. A season where we still don’t know which of 3 teams will win with 3 games left has to be a good one.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I wasn’t a fan of Moyes, but he had a very difficult job and should have been given more time.
    Who next?

I’m still struggling to see exactly what it was Moyes “had” that made him a shoe in for the job in the first place.
    10 years of upper mid table regularity without ever winning anything of note. Was that enough?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Out of interest, do you follow a particular club, Hora? Or is a lot of this just Binners baiting?

Y’know, like the 5live commentators and pundits – he’s keeping allegiances quiet while helping the threads chug along interspersing them with his razor sharp insights into the game.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Y’know, like the 5live commentators and pundits

Alan Green or Spoony?

hora
    Free Member

Apart from 5 aside, but thats about as far as my interest goes with football. Its more a mans soap series than actually interesting to watch.

At least I’m honest, most working class men pretend to follow a team so they fit in.

Jamie
    Free Member

You are the diamond in the rough, Hora.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They still spend lots. Lets not forget Chelsea, City had to build squads up from a long way off.

City were bottom feeders,yes, but Chelsea were already up there challenging the Utd/Arsenal dominance at home and not doing badly in Europe either, playing some lovely football too! It wouldn’t have taken £200m+ to turn us in to world beaters!
    What might have been…

hora
    Free Member

You are the diamond in the rough, Hora.

I know, when I’m sat with the other plumbers on a job I always get ribbed about my manbag and skin care products as well.

geoffj

I’m still struggling to see exactly what it was Moyes “had” that made him a shoe in for the job in the first place.
    10 years of upper mid table regularity without ever winning anything of note. Was that enough?

Weegie heritage innit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes Moyes looked well out of his depth, but skilled professionals on huge salaries (and Fellaini ) shouldn’t be sulking like little kids and looking like they can’t be arsed.

I loled at the Fellani jibe

THM also had a point about how his body language and demeanour always looked wrong. Its like he does not know how to be favourites and attack – our away record is impressive but home has been dire.

binners

If you look what he did at Everton, it was about building a good squad (as a certain Mr Martinez can testify) on a budget. Thats the key. With the Glazers milking the club for all its worth, there will be the odd panic high-profile signing, but the debts mean that any United manager simply doesn’t have any money to play with. Whatever squad they build will have to be done on the cheap

We keep hearing all these rumours (where do they originate I wonder?) about big money available for high profile players. But they said that last year. And what happened? THIS is what happened…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Him and mata that was how much again?

They are not as rich as city but lets not plead poverty here Binners

binners

Yes JY But United are the richest club in the world. They generate enormous revenue, and are massively profitable. United should be perfectly placed to take advantage of the fair play rules because of this.They should be competing in the transfer market with Real and Barca. But all those profits have been trousered by the Glazers instead, while they spend the bare minimum to maintain a squad capable of competing at this level. So they panicked and bought Mata. Who else? Which other world class players have arrived at a club (barring VP who was a snip because of the length of time left on his contract) with Champions League winning pretensions? Smalling? Jones? Young? Cleverley?

Who next? Andy Carrol?

Actually…. that wouldn’t surprise me any more.

thered

They wouldn’t have sacked Moyes if there was no money to spend in the summer. They sacked him cos they didn’t trust him to spend it but they’ve got no chance of attracting a top manager if there’s no cash.

If however they offer the job to Roberto Martinez or Tony Pulis!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

#crystalpulis

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you look what he did at Everton, it was about building a good squad (as a certain Mr Martinez can testify) on a budget. Thats the key.

Build ing a good squad on a budget is admirable, but was still only an upper/mid table squad that won nowt. Hardly worthy of the Old Trafford hot seat.

binners

Suburbanreuben – Thats kind of my point. He was obviously brought in to work a miracle while spending no money. Lets have a look at the United transfer rumours in the summer….

Allegedly they were going to outbid Real for Bale. Then Fabregas was coming from Barca. Then Fellaini arrived instead. So I’d take with a bucket of salt any rumours about supposed summer spending sprees, because its got a very familiar ring to it. You’ve got to ask, when these rumours and speculation arise, whose interests are being served by them appearing in the press?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Gollum’s gone, huzzah.

But to be honest all premier league managers are the public face of the club, so they are seen as where the buck should stop. True even when others, like chief execs, make poor decisions influential in why a team aint performing. In this case they didnt bolster the squad enough when they tried and had let David Gill go, a bad management decision.

Pardew is on a similar tight rope, no recent performances yet has had arguably his best players sold from under him. Cabaye. Ashley looks upon them as assets and when the asset reaches great market value he sells which is a bit of a short term game.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hardly worthy of the Old Trafford hot seat.

The only managers that would take the job after fergie from the list the Man U fans deem worthy of them would all tell them where to shove it, ageing squad and unrealistic expectations post fergie. The next on the list would be the big name severance package lot (see Chelsea/Man City rejects)

Fergie picked Moyes either as he knew it would make him look better (wouldn’t surprise me) or because he though he would be the right man to rebuild united going forward. Turns out he was right in the first one and we will never know on the second. I’d expect Moyes to go on from this and either prove a lot of folk wrong or end up as a 2 year at every top flight club manager.

martinhutch

The only managers that would take the job after fergie from the list the Man U fans deem worthy of them would all tell them where to shove it, ageing squad and unrealistic expectations post fergie. The next on the list would be the big name severance package lot (see Chelsea/Man City rejects)

This made me laugh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10779287/Manchester-United-prepared-to-see-if-Bayern-Munich-coach-Pep-Guardiola-would-take-over-at-Old-Trafford.html

I imagine he’d jump at the chance of leaving an unsuccessful club like Bayern for the opportunity to boost Utd into the Europa next year.

dragon
    Free Member

I honestly believe that Fergie thought Moyes could do the job of steadying ManU after his departure and maybe even doing better. It just it turns out Moyes doesn’t have it. Happens all the time in business.

It’s hard to know what’s going on upstairs at ManU. Giving Rooney a long contract why, when he simply isn’t good enough, then spending a fortune on Mata who plays in a similar position.

They should be competing in the transfer market with Real and Barca.

Well Barca have been somewhat bending the rules on transfers for a while, so not sure anyone could truly compete with them. Look at the dodgy deals around Naymar.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Where will Moyes end up? Swansea, Norwich? It’s a long road back for his career now.

martinhutch

It’s hard to know what’s going on upstairs at ManU. Giving Rooney a long contract why, when he simply isn’t good enough, then spending a fortune on Mata who plays in a similar position.

It’s about image. Players generally don’t leave Man Utd – because it’s the ‘biggest club in the world’ – they get moved on by the club when the time is right. While Fergie could and should have got shot of Rooney a couple of years ago, such a departure at the start of the Moyes era wouldn’t have gone down as well.

If they’ve got any sense they’ll ship him out at the end of the season.

Trouble is they’ve got gaps to plug in virtually every area of the field.

binners

Never mind Rooney and the insanity of his £300 grand a week. They gave Nani a new 5 year contract! 😯 I wouldn’t give him his bus fare home. He’s absolutely bloody hopeless!!!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I really hope that Giggs gets the, er, gig for a bit longer than until the end of the season.
    He won’t be putting up with any slackness.
    But United don’t have the balls that Liverpool had when appointing King Kenny.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The only managers that would take the job after fergie from the list the Man U fans deem worthy of them would all tell them where to shove it

Apparently Jose cried when he did not get the job so I think that is a little OTT

Cletus
    Free Member

Did Ferguson never think that the Glazers would be bad for the club and oppose them? – he (and arguably Bobby Charlton) is the only person who could have stopped the plundering of the club but he chose to stand by and watch and even approve (maybe because of his spat with the previous owners over a racehouse ffs!).

He did work a miracle last year when winning the title as his gamble on RVP paid off big time but he left the club in a shambles.

The players have also proven themselves to be spineless – no pride or grit in evidence at all.

The only vaguely commendable thing over the past season is not appointing Mourinho due to his appalling standards of behaviour.

It will be interesting to see who the next manager will be. Klopp would be a breath of fresh air but has said he does not want the job.

Anyone who thinks Giggs should be given a crack is insane.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The only vaguely commendable thing over the past season is not appointing Mourinho due to his appalling standards of behaviour.

Yeah right…cause SAF has been such a model of good behaviour & restraint over the years…. 🙄

Cletus
    Free Member

Yeah right…cause SAF has been such a model of good behaviour & restraint over the years….

I am no Ferguson lover and agree that his behaviour has been curmugeonly over a long period (and reprehensible at times) but Mourinho takes it to a whole new level. Ask Anders Frisk, Jose Guardiola and Tito Vilanova.

MSP

Mourinho is just emulating what he has seen Fergi get away with for years. The only difference is when Fergi did it, all the media went “cooo he is such a genius at mind games” where as with Mourinho they have started to show it for what it is.

In fact one of the interesting things this season has been watching the media re-appraisal over their handling of united.

Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks Giggs should be given a crack is insane

There has got to be a joke in there about Ryans peccadillos 😉

I think the whole affair shows football for what it really is, sadly Rugby seems to be going in the same direction.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks Giggs should be given a crack is insane

Buys them time though. Hes got nothing to muck up has he so kinda ideal.

Jamie
    Free Member

There has got to be a joke in there about Ryans peccadillos

something something balls deep something etc

dooosuk
    Free Member

Did Ferguson never think that the Glazers would be bad for the club and oppose them? – he (and arguably Bobby Charlton) is the only person who could have stopped the plundering of the club but he chose to stand by and watch and even approve

Fergie talks about this in his autobiography. Something along the lines of that side of it is none of his business…his job and what he was paid to do was to manage the team.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interesting for 24-36 hours but I hope news broadcasters bring back some perspective soon. Beeb website is somewhat skewed in terms of the actual important of this story. Bored of the radio coverage already although it makes you think that MU have a sustained period of restructuring ahead of them.

New golf courses – owner 1, invests and loses it all. Owner 2 buys distressed asset but still loses it all. Owner 3 buys distressed asset amd finally makes a return. SAF successor 1 is a bit like owner 1. It didn’t matter who was chosen it was never going to work IMO. Not sure the next guy will succeed either.

Hopefully back pages tomorrow though.

timc
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    I think the whole affair shows football for what it really is

A business?

nick1962
    Free Member

I wasn’t a fan of Moyes, but he had a very difficult job and should have been given more time.

Really?
    He took over a club at the top,the champions who had won the Premier league by 11 points,have one of the best academy and a top worldwide player/club feeder system,are the biggest club in the world,the best supported etc etc,had £100+ million to spend,had plenty of time a full pre season -more than Pellgrini did and all he had to was finish in the top 4.Instead he has broken more records for cr*p perfromance and has led United to an all time premier low points wise.That really takes something and it isn’t more time.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk about Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.