Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 636 total)
  • Lets talk about Man Utd
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Sorry, but after sooo many years of seeing them riding roughshod over the rest of the league, isn’t it luverly to see them in such a state? 😀

Its all well and good saying they need to spend, but that is the same with many clubs….they have the money, but are the right players available?

Poor old Gollom even has Martinez achieving better things at Everton than he ever did….

tee hee

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Chavball.

Meh.

weeksy

why open the thread Chunky ? it’s hardly a shock it’s about football

Apparently ‘Relate’ have been in touch with Man Utd regarding a sponsorship deal for next season. It seems people can relate to them well after being battered at home week in week out.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Dunno, the right to air ones opinion/feelings?

Next time I’ll email you to check it’s ok to do so.

dannyh
    Free Member

I don’t really know enough in-depth to have a detailed opinion on this, but I do like it when chickens come home to roost.

Moyes complaining about Ashley Young not being awarded a penalty amused me greatly. Hoist by his own petard. That, gentlemen, is karma.

iolo
    Free Member

Off to http://www.redcafe.net
    for you op

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

It’s not the players fault they are getting beaten it’s the refs. Moyes says so. I was at the Old Toilet when West Brom beat them 2-1 what a good day out that was

MadPierre

PRETEND you’re Alex Ferguson by retiring then going into work everyday to stare at the bloke who got your old job

CaptJon
    Free Member

Supposedly Fergie lost 8 of his first 28, so Moyes is doing better with 8 of 32.

What annoys me is the fans and pundits declaring he failing because it is the same squad who won the title by 11 points last season. It quite clearly isn’t the same squad, they are all a year older and that’s significant given the age of players like Vidic, Ferdinand and Giggs.

The biggest problem appears to be Fergie’s lack of planning for the midfield.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Schadenfreude is so ugly

Why not just support your own team – still at least we will be rid of a lot of plastic fans

OT hard to judge Moyes tbh at the minute but it is certainly not high marks so far. However he has had some bad luck [ injuries], Signings or lack there of – his fault or the club who knows and not enough good players – our midfield has been gash for a few years and Arsenals subs bench is better tbh and most of them need selling
    Squad aging, new manager
    Not sure its time to write the eulogy but its interesting for sure

Good to see Arsene finally coming good as everyone loves his philosophy.

weeksy

CaptJon – Member

Supposedly Fergie lost 8 of his first 28, so Moyes is doing better with 8 of 32.

What annoys me is the fans and pundits declaring he failing because it is the same squad who won the title by 11 points last season. It quite clearly isn’t the same squad, they are all a year older and that’s significant given the age of players like Vidic, Ferdinand and Giggs.

Ferguson never started with a championship winning team, Moyes did.

they may be a year older, however none of this should have come to Moyes as a shock, it’s not like he was brought in last minute as an emergency replacement.

He was well aware of the age of Giggs, Vidic etc. However he failed to come up with solutions other than the big haired buffoon.

In simplest terms, Man Utd have been batting above their status of a team for several seasons, the reason is that Ferguson was THAT good a man-manager. Now they’ve got Moyes, trying new things, new tactics, new training and new man-management, Utd are playing as their squad should…. Which is… average.

johndoh
    Free Member

It isn’t surprising really – replacing someone like Ferguson would be almost impossible at best. Anyway, it happens, lots of teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool, Man C for example) have had periods of greatness followed by failure – it is impossible to continue winning all the time.

They will bounce back at a point in their future – just look at Man C – it wasn’t that long ago they were in the third tier…

binners

What weeksy said.

I can see it getting a lot worse before it gets better. Maybe Rooney or VP putting in an official transfer request.

The club has been run as a cash cow for a family of American parasites, and have massively over-achieved due to having the best manager the country has ever seen. Now he’s gone, the cold hard truth has been exposed. He was dependent on a few fantastic, but ageing players, and didn’t rebuild. Why? Because he couldn’t. ‘All the money is gone’ as Labour said on leaving office. The Glazers have taken £680m out of the club (so far) to service their debts. And they’ll need to keep doing that. I don’t think anyone will be coming in in the Transfer window. And I can’t see any big signings come the summer either. whatever happens. Theres no way Utd can compete with City or Chelsea in the transfer market. In fact, in reality, probably not with Spurs, or Liverpool any more

Until the Glazers go. Which they won’t, I fear its the law of diminishing returns from now on.

Theres nowt Moyes can do about it. Everyone with half a brain knows where the problem lies. And if we finish outside the top four (which we will), then to quote the Kaiser Chiefs: I predict a riot!

euans2
    Free Member

Rome wasn’t built in a season and we all know how long it took Sir Alex to find the winning combination! Anyone who thought Utd would be sitting pretty at the top is delusional! Like it’s already been said, the squad is getting older and the gaps are showing, you could see it starting last season.

Hopefully Utd bring in one or two players in this market but tbh, I won’t be too disappointed if they don’t, I think the aim should be to build for next season, this season is a case of damage limitation and line up targets for the summer transfer window, hopefully lessons have been learned from the last window!

weeksy

Theres nowt Moyes can do about it. Everyone with half a brain knows where the problem lies. And if we finish outside the top four (which we will), then to quote the Kaiser Chiefs: I predict a riot!

Not so sure about that… whilst I find the current predicament amusing, Moyes has shown himself to be a very good manager with a very small budget, as well as an excellent ability to find and bring through new talent. I think he’ll do the same at Utd… but that’s obviously not an instant win.

The fact Everton are doing so well is still down massively to his previous work at Goodison.

johndoh
    Free Member

The problem is that now those transfer targets will be looking at the state of the club and thinking ‘do I want to go there, or would I prefer Liverpool or ManC or Arsenal…’

And without the really big money to tempt them, they won’t and the decline will set fast. Unfortunately.

(Leeds fan BTW)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d have said Moyes was a good replacement but I can’t see what he was thinking bringing Fellaini to the club. He doesn’t suit Utd’s style of play and Everton are playing better without him. It’s no secret but their midfield is gash…there’s hardly a world class player in there and compared to Chelsea’s, Citeh’s, Arsenal’s, even Liverpool’s (FFS) it’s poor. They’ve allowed the simplest of through balls to cut them in two this season.

I’ve said on another thread that I’m enjoying the schadenfreude – you can’t not when Utd fans have been enjoying your side’s dearth of success for twenty odd years – but we’ve only had half a season. I believe the board will stick with Moyes for the long run, but if he loses the fans and the dressing room, that might all change. It’s happened with bigger (patronising :winky:) clubs who joined in the managerial merry go round. Also, while I’m not especially sympathetic, Utd have had some shocking decisions given against them in the last few games. Karma? I dunno…but having had a manager who made referees’ lives a misery for years, any calls for sympathy will fall on deaf ears.

My nephews, north London born and bred, are both Utd fans – well, their dad is a Manc to be fair – have never known anything other than success – it was difficult to explain to them that they might be in for a few tough years. They had no comprehension of the concept of not playing in the ECL next season – which is looking a real possibility if they don’t pick up soon. Without that money and the Glazers’ debt…who knows what would happen.

binners

The fact Everton are doing so well is still down massively to his previous work at Goodison.

Indeed. What he has shown at Everton is that he can build a squad. On a tight budget. Which is why he got the job in the first place. Because thats the reality at Old Trafford now. Financially, we’re probably accurately represented by our present league position. But with (rightful) championship winning expectations.

Moyes must know by now that he’ll have no money to spend. All revenues generated at Old Trafford will be heading straight into the pockets of the American Leeches

weeksy

70,000 fans a week and arguably the largest club in the country is a big big attraction to players. Whilst money is also of course… don’t forget that many youngsters will find Man Utd synonymous with success and that will attract them to the club.

weeksy

I do wonder if Utd will can Moyes you know.

In simplest terms, we have no concept at all at the owners thoughts on the manager and his goals/longevity, they’ve never needed to consider the option of sacking the manager in all their time. They could well be sharpening the axe as we speak.

binners

I’d have said Moyes was a good replacement but I can’t see what he was thinking bringing Fellaini to the club.

Last-day-of-the-transfer-window-panic! Same reason Liverpool ended up with Andy Carrol, Bravissimo. he doesn’t fit in at OT. Being diplomatic, I’d say he wasn’t first choice. Being realistic? 4th choice? 5th? The transfer policy over the summer was an utter shambles. And did I mention the fact… there’s no money? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

they’ve never needed to consider the option of sacking the manager in all their time

Indeed, you worded it better than I did. The people who stuck with Fergie through the early tough years are long gone.

trailmonkey

Schadenfreude is so ugly

Why not just support your own team

never stopped man utd fans singing ‘you’ve only come to see utd’ on their travels.

tough titty, loathesome club, loathesome fans getting what they deserve.

all empires come to an end. villa, blackburn, arsenal, leeds, forest, liverpool, man utd etc, etc .

get over it.

scaredypants

I think Binners & co are probably right – if the owners continue to screw the business there’ll be little or no money for signings and even if Moyes tried to sell, the players that are there are mostly worth f’all – except for the couple he’ll be desperate to keep

lemonysam
    Free Member

Man Utd are having their worst season in years, are unlikely to qualify for europe are in danger of going into freefall.

Liverpool* are outside title contenders who are a shoo in for europe and look set to be a renewed force in the years to come.

Five points separate them. Half way through the season.

*Not anti-liverpool just the closest comparison.

muggomagic

I feel a bit for Moyes as he’s a pretty good manager, but he’s not got the experience that is most likely needed for managing such a massive club. Then I can’t imagine the board had much choice as no manager with that level of experience would have wanted to take over from SAF.

It will be an interesting transfer window for Man U. If Moyes is given the reported £100M+ to spend then it shows that they are right behind him. If not, then Moyes will most likely get the chop at the end of the season and they will bring in a top manager and give him the money to spend and rebuild the team.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Liverpool* are outside title contenders who are a shoo in for europe

Hardly title contenders…unless you’re deluded. Battling for fourth place is about the best they can hope for this season.

Five points separate them. Half way through the season.

Except, normally its around 14 or 15 the other way round, which is why it’s looking a lot less rosy for Utd.

binners

It will be an interesting transfer window for Man U. If Moyes is given the reported £100M+ to spend then it shows that they are right behind him. If not, then Moyes will most likely get the chop at the end of the season and they will bring in a top manager and give him the money to spend and rebuild the team.

No matter who is the manager, nobody will be getting anywhere near £100 million to play with.

To see how bad the situation actually is at OT financially, you only need to know one thing. One of the first things Moyes did was to give Nani a new 5 year contract. I think some of knew the writing was on the wall regarding our seasons ambitions, and our place in the world, at that point

Fantombiker

The Glazers will sack Moyes if they think they will not get into the top4/CL. In order for the club (business) to meet its debt obligations it needs a good CL run followed by a good premiership position and on the back of both of those strong merchandising sales.

Also, if the valuation of the business changes as a result of the above or losing valuable players (assets) then the interest on payments on the debt will rise when the covenants are renegotiated.

The Glazers have treated MU as a cash cow, banking on SAF bringing success at a low investment cost, much like Wenger has done. But the reality is SAF did not sort out a terrible midfield and even resorted to bringing back Scholes..that spoke volumes….

pictonroad

According to an ‘insider’ on five live sport last night the board knew that the squad needed rebuilding and Moyes has been given long term commitment to do that. Also they will have as much money as they need £100m+ to rebuild with quality long term players, not quick fix solutions.

not my opinion, on t’radio

dragon
    Free Member

They’ve got no midfield to speak of. Witness the 2nd goal Spurs scored recently, it was Rooney who failed to properly track and defend Lennon’s run into the box. But the real question is why was Rooney so far back, someone else should be been doing that, yet they were dawdling around near the halfway line still.

Mind 1st Leeds, then Rangers, now Man U gotta love it 🙂

muggomagic

Didn’t Man U try a last minute £80m bid for Bale? Assuming this wasn’t a load of bull from Daniel Levy to get RM to stop dragging their heels, then they must have some money to spend. If they can afford to spend £25m on Fellani then they must have plenty.

weeksy

Problem is, look at players like Jovetic, Lamella, £30 million quid players and likely on £150k a week salaries, your £100m doesn’t go very far if you make a mistake…or indeed 2.

£30m on Fellaini in summer and hardly setting the world alight shows that money alone can’t buy you the great players. Looking at someone like Coutinho shows that a lower price purchase can make a massive difference without breaking the bank.

I would even argue that Moyes could struggle with this due to having to deal with ‘big egos’ now too which he hasn’t at Everton. Also consider the difference in scouting lists, you’re now watching players you’ve never even considered before, watching a bunch of very good players thinking “how on earth can we get him to play how I want” instead of in the past having the time, patience and ability to MAKE the player into the player he wants. The time no longer exists to give the new boy half a season to bed in, it’s either instant results… or nothing.

binners

pictonroad – I’ll believe it when I see it. Apparently, according to the gossip, we were in the running to sign Bale in the summer. Yeah, right!

You have to be cynical and wonder who’s interests are best served by planting rumours like that in the press

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was only reading the other day (admittedly in the DM) that United had £200m available to spend!

Lets face it they were trying to buy various players pre season at great expense, but no one wanted to come or bids turned down. It was said they were seriously in the frame for bale at £90m but levy wouldn’t consider selling to United.

Whatever the facts of the matter, finally Le Prof was given £75m to spend and he only managed to spend £42m of it on the last day….so I don’t think its about money any more, its about Clubs having more power to hold their players and lack of talent out there to improve on what you have. There are now so many clubs with the money to buy the best players too….think PSG, City, Madrid, Barca, Bayern and there are more top clubs than top players.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I live in Newcastle. I think I know more Manchester United supporters than Newcastle supporters. Bizarre.

binners

I was listening to one of my City supporting mates, who after going to the Etihad the other week was moaning that the place was now full of southerners

😆

Saccades
    Free Member

Also, if the valuation of the business changes as a result of the above or losing valuable players (assets) then the interest on payments on the debt will rise when the covenants are renegotiated.

I presume you lads haven’t been reading the financial results for Utd then?

Utds moneys

Read this last post on the Andersred blog – it appears they have gotten away with the financial side of it. There are some savage amounts of cash to come on-stream too with the chevrolet money to appear and whoever it is that wants to sponsor the shirts (Nike in exclusive talks at the mo), it’s why MU bought out the DHL training tops contract. Interest is about 20m and in theory there is 80m in the bank (but there is 200m debt that disappeared – worringly).

On the pitch… It’s bad at the moment, we have needed a new midfield since hargreaves fell apart and scholes got old. Fletcher was only good every other game (maybe due to his condition) and anderson hasn’t come through on the promise he showed in the early days (but is the only play to run at the opposition). We have been reliant on wingers for ages but everyone has sussed keep tony spanish city on his left foot and he’s shite, Nani has flashes of genius but they get further and further apart as he’s played less and always on the left. Young, the less said about him the better. Giggs – is a winger… 15 years ago and should be in the center 5 years ago against league cup teams.

Thought this season would be bad, but not this bad – the summer was pretty bad off the pitch with gill, fergie and the backroom staff all going at the same time – woodward should keep his gob shut and do some proper business instead of wasteing cash on a panic buy (although fellani should be good enough against teams that would overpower us in the middle). Kagawa – I’d love him to come good, but he drifts in and out of games and isn’t impressing atm.

MSP

The sponsorship contracts will be dependent on results, especially being in the champions league. With the financial fair play rules enforcement now becoming “hard”, it could be a bad time to miss out and need to invest quite heavily in the team.

martinhutch

As a City fan, I still think Utd will qualify for Europe.

(Crowd awaits punchline…)

No really, I do, there is plenty of quality in that side, and provided RVP doesn’t stick in a transfer request, plenty of goals. Moyes can and will sort out the defensive frailties, as he did at Everton.

I think they’ll batter Sunderland on the return leg, with a good chance to beat us in the League Cup final, and finish 4th.

EDIT: Assuming we don’t get nobbled by West Ham tonight, of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk about Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.