Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Let's see your modified kit
  • Nicknoxx
    Free Member

@M6TTF
    First pic is my 50th birthday bike, completely custom.
    Second pic is just a modified dropout on a Kona A (the one for sale).

@jameso Frame was made by Lynskey

singlespeedstu

What? these bits? I think the swarf would have weighed about half as much as the bits that I dug out the holesaw. 😆

2010_1126cheeserim0017 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

I didn’t weigh them but someone else did a before and after weighing job on the same rim with slightly bigger holes and recond it lost 300grams. 🙂

PaulD
    Free Member

Stoner,

What brake pads are you running in the M965-R XTR caliper?

They look bigger than the standard Shimano offerings.

PaulD

jameso

Flow, it’s just a better wheelset for someone who rides SS 29er. Adding gears for some rides is an option with the cassette mod. Choice is a good thing?

jameso

What? these bits?

If you’d planned it properly, you could have made a lifetime supply of top-caps.. )

I didn’t weigh them

I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t : ) just interested and I’m now looking at my holesaw and my P35s.. but no, just no..

Stoner
    Free Member

Pauld, standard shimano pads. might not be shimano brand, but they’ll be the same form factor. photo was taken ages ago though. currently using SSC pads sintered

singlespeedstu

I’m now looking at my holesaw and my P35s

Go on, go on, go on, go on. 😀

Oh that reminds me I’ve got a Kris Holm rim built up on an Alfine that I could take the drill to next.

flow
    Free Member

Flow, it’s just a better wheelset for someone who rides SS 29er. Adding gears for some rides is an option with the cassette mod. Choice is a good thing?

Errr, I already know that, thats why I have 10 speed with 3 chainrings, crazy idea eh!

jameso

I’m resisting. But now wondering about a drilled out UST convertion winter front wheel project.

lunge

SSS, my father-in-law stopped and talked to someone with drilled rims riding a Jones bike somewhere near Wordlsey Woods, Stourbridge about 6 months ago, it may even have been you. Said he was amazed by both the rims and the bike and was concidering taking a drill to his motorbike rims.

jameso

Errr, I already know that, thats why I have 10 speed with 3 chainrings, crazy idea eh!

So do I, crazy huh.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Could some one please tell me WTF is the point in having a single speed with gears? Surely you are just in denial and should go back to a proper bike?

Not a single speed if it has gears.

singlespeedstu

Lunge.

I do remember chatting to someone and him mentioning trying to drill out his motorbike rims.

tazzymtb

home built 51mm offset U turn 29er frankenforks,

converted xtr dual control shifter systems to lovely disc brakes

home stripped and polished frame and jone-esque cranks

Dan1502
    Free Member

Quite a few bits have changed since this picture was taken and I might have spannered the front one in a big crash a week or so ago (needs checking) 🙁

Northwind

I cut the arms off my Mountain Warehouse fleece, using a pair of kitchen scissors. Do I win the thread?

jameso

You only win if you did that to make arm-warmers..

Northwind

Arm-coolers.

No win?

jameso

I’m not qualified to judge.. I just polish stuff. I’m off to do my helmet next.

Northwind

Can’t really polish a fleece tbh, they just melt.

Dan1502
    Free Member

The only other thing I can think of is a mud guard to protect the mechanism of my KS i950 dropper post (made out of part of an old mudguard) fitted to the saddle and the post. Loads of problems with mud causing the cable/mechanism to stick before fitting and absolutely none since (no pic, sorry).

cynic-al
    Free Member

My drilled fat bike rims lost 400gm. Stu still slagged me off 🙁

I have other DIY conquests but I’m tired of keyboard warriors insulting them.

singlespeedstu

Come on Al don’t be like that it was nothing to do with your rim. 😉

Get em posted up.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

What do I win?

jameso

Al, that disc fork was a bold DIY project and should be celebrated : ) Got any more like that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*cracks knuckles*

The one…the only…Frankenbike (mk 2)

IMAG0792.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

DIY carbon/steel brake mount – who’d have thought the steel would fail?

IMAG0785 by alan cole, on Flickr

UK’s 2nd full suss fat bike

IMAG0776.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

Full carbon mount

IMAG0762.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

Rear mount in carbon/steel

IMAG0567 by alan cole, on Flickr

Pompetamine gear hanger

R0011072 by alan cole, on Flickr

drilled rims

IMAG0334.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

LAtest project

untitled by alan cole, on Flickr

singlespeedstu

Laughs at Al’s lack of drilling skillz. 😉

Though the Fatmarinthingy could have been good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

one insult, one back-handed compliment 🙄

MArrowfat will be awesome (when fixed)

jameso

Inspiring. DIY carbon on brake mounts gets maximum points.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Like conventional builds aren’t strong enough, and missing a few sprockets will make all the difference in weight.

Wheel not hub. Less dish -> stronger wheel for the same weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But regular rear wheels are strong enough.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

But regular rear wheels are strong enough.

My 16st and flatland 360s say otherwise… even without rotation, beasting jumps, drops and rocky hell mean some insurance is worth a few less gears that you struggle to choose between anyhoo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you believe it makes a difference…

njee20
    Free Member

Chainguide for my Absolut SX, made from 2 x DMR old Chain Reactor hinged clamps and a Superstar plastic guide. I’ve used DMR clamps many times before along with a MRP/DMR roller, bolt and spacers but this time due to the bend in the seat tube, the position wasn’t quite right and I couldn’t get the guide to sit low enough, hence the extra bracket made from a cut down clamp.

Weirdly mine is exactly the same, only slightly cooler as I used a piece of carbon 😉

Got a small sheet of it with a view to making the cage out of carbon in the long run, but not got around to it yet. Seems to work better than the normal Superstar guide as it’s far stiffer, never dropped the chain yet!

stuey
    Free Member

C-al how much rear wheel travel do you get on that fat beauty?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

@tazzymtb
    Have you go any more details on those forks?

james
    Free Member

“Do you mean the singlespeed hub mods above?? Surely its because you want gears but either don’t need the full range, or want less dish in the rear wheel (for more strength).
    Like conventional builds aren’t strong enough, and missing a few sprockets will make all the difference in weight.

then how about “because they want to…””

If its a Hope SS hub then you’d also get twice the pickup speed over a pro II as well?

tazzymtb

nicknoxx, yep I wrote a buffoons guide to frankenfork conversions for rockshox that I emailed out to interested fecklers a while back. email me and I’ll dig it out for you

tazwadie At hotmail Dot com

cynic-al
    Free Member

4″ Stuey

mamadirt
    Free Member

Neat njee20!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your modified kit’ is closed to new replies.