Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 238 total)
  • Let’s have a Big Fast Estates Thread
  • Klunk
    Free Member

stumpy01

I have to say (with some degree of embarrassment) that my first thought when I saw the thread title was the Skoda Superb with the big diesel & 4WD.

In my defence though, I somehow assumed that there was a degree of subtlety or perhaps, ‘sleeper’ inferred in the OP. Dunno why.

benp1

I had a great drive in a V70 T5 once – comfy, fast barge

But if I was buying one now it would be german – RS4/RS6, M5 (do they do an M3 touring?), C63, E63

But for me the original is the RS2

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Excuse the pun but that Skoda Superb is erm superb.
    Even the 220 version is pretty decent performance.

As the owner of a Skoda Superb, I really wouldn’t say it’s ‘superb’ or even close to it.

It’s perfectly fine, yes, but superb? Even compared to a 5 series? No chance.

Big fast estate? Hop you have deep pockets. Alpina B5 (new G31 5 series).

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve always liked fast estate cars however at the moment my current fast load lugger is a probably even less sensible SUV – a Mazda CX-7. 260bhp in standard trim (which mine is) but apparently not difficult to get to 350bhp or so as the tuning bits from the other MPS Mazda’s can be used.

It makes a great Q car as everyone assumes it’ll be slow! Not cheap to run though – lucky to get 20mpg and it’s in the top vehicle tax bracket as well.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d have to have an M550d Touring X-Drive Auto if I’m honest, much as I’d love an RS6

submarined
    Free Member

Shh about the CX7! I’m lining one of them up for when my 9-5 Aero wagon has a few too many clunks and bangs, and people don#’t seem to have cottoned on to them yet, let’s keep them a little secret 😀

C6 RS6 is my unicorn. That V10 is magnificent, the initial purchase costs are OK, but the running costs and risk are, to me, utterly terrifying. Their ability to empty a bank account seems only comparable to their appetite for fuel. A truly intimidating ownership prospect. But my god would it be worth it. Easily tweaked to very impressive figures for comparatively little.

The C5 holds a big attraction as well, and perhaps an (only marginally) less expensive proposition, but that’s more do do with original purchase price, the running costs are still pretty intimidating.

Legacies ar the more cut price option that’s pretty appealing as well. At the bottom end, my 9-5 is OK, but it’s very much a one trick pony. Not tooo bad on fuel, solid and reliable, enormous inside, (L 650b enduro bike fits with the seats down and both wheels on.) but it is essentially a Vectra with a few Saab bits (like the engine). The Saab bits are really the only vaguely interesting bits about it. Very hard on suspension components though. I seem to be forever replacing bushes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Need room ? ✅

Need to carry bikes ? ✅

Need to carry Aunt Flo and her best friend to Bingo ?✅

Need wipe down seats and trim ?✅

Need to feel you have MOAR POWER than your Me Average MillibandMondayo ? ✅

Then get a…

willej

Not so big but defo a fast estate:

8 bhp/ton more than a Golf R and £5k cheaper. Love it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

As the owner of a Skoda Superb, I really wouldn’t say it’s ‘superb’ or even close to it.

It’s perfectly fine, yes, but superb? Even compared to a 5 series? No chance.

I’ve noticed this a lot with these challenger brand cars; if you go for the very top spec, they do feel special and every bit as good as their equivalent german rival. But the lower  trim levels do feel very ‘average’ (my wife calls ours the Skoda Average).

The L&K trim we have is every bit as nice as the equivalent 5-series and the 3.6L V6 and 4-wheel drive does make it something of a sleeper.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This was actually a “thing” and it looks half designed by Marcel Marceau…

944 Shooting Brake

DickBarton

Mitsu Legnum VR4 is brilliant but costs a fortune to fuel and maintain…

pdw
    Free Member

Always had a soft spot for an M5 Touring (E61).  Got quite close to buying one a few years ago, as they were pretty affordable 2nd hand.  The fuel consumption was a little off putting (I think i remember reading that some owners discovered that the consumption gauge bottoms out at 7mpg, but the consumption definitely doesn’t) and coupled with a smallish tank meant that 200miles/tank was fairly normal.

Ended up getting a nice sensible diesel (A6 BiTDI), but the M5 still seems like it would have been a good idea after a beer or two.

nicko74

Volvo V90

Volvo V90 T8. Apparently 390hp, AWD, and weirdly attractive

dantsw13

The pcp deals on new A6’s are very good – cheaper than an equivalent Skoda/VW/Volvo by a margin.

the A6 3.0tdi Quattro would be plenty fast enough and sensible money. Far nicer ride than the RS.

My base model has leather, heated seats, lcd digital driver display and good connectivity.

Northwind

Rght, that’s that sorted, just giftwrap them all and drop them off at mine eh?

Cheers folks, some realistic options in there that I’d missed and good to have some fantasy options too 🙂

frogstomp

piha: Porche Panamera. Whether you would call this one a hatchback or estate but just look at at…..!

You’ll be wanting the new Panamera Sport Turismo then, obvs..

Related image

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this a lot with these challenger brand cars; if you go for the very top spec, they do feel special and every bit as good as their equivalent german rival. But the lower trim levels do feel very ‘average’ (my wife calls ours the Skoda Average).
    The L&K trim we have is every bit as nice as the equivalent 5-series and the 3.6L V6 and 4-wheel drive does make it something of a sleeper.

I call mine the Not So 🙂

Mine is a Sportline (irony) but with a long list of extras, I think the original invoice was £38k (on a Skoda!), it’s a fair chunk cheaper than a G31 5 Series (probably £7k), but it feels it too.

In terms of quality of build, my older F11 5 series is better than the Skoda too IMO.

For what it is though, on a lease, it’s bloody cheap & does what I need 🙂

deadslow

E350 2011 Owner here. Bought at 85k now at 145k 3 years later. You would very hard pressed to tell it had done that kind of mileage. Bought from a main stealer and bought a service package at the same time which brings the cost to about the same as the independent.

Enormous inside with seats up and down. Self levelling suspension means you can fill it to the brim and it still drives! Its quick, no matter how many people you have in it, huge torque and just eats up the miles. By far the most relaxing car to drive long distance on motorways and A roads. Back roads and b roads not the optimal car.

Would I by again? Yes. Lottery win tonight replace with debadged E63 and the neighbours will only notice when it starts up!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Hobnob…the Skoda Superb in question is the 4×4 280 tsi estate ..which I put forward earlier in the thread .

Dirk was mentioning that the 220 also has a pretty brisk performance ..

The numbers above relate to the bhp….

I’m not sure what you are driving as engine sizes start at 1400cc..and if that’s what you have got I would agree it’s hardly going to be ” superb ”

The 2000cc tsi petrol engine with 280 bhp and a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds will be a completely different beast ..and could very well be described as ” superb ” ..

Not all Skoda Superb’s are the same !

timbog160

Jag XFR-S for me too!  Have the 3 litre v6 with a chip at the moment though (claimed 340bhp) and to be honest that’s plenty fast enough!!  And being a jag owner I appreciate the 30+ mpg even at reasonable pace

dallas95
    Free Member

How about a Maserati?

bikebouy
    Free Member

What you really need deep down is an MPV.. one that will turn heads wherever you go, that will guarantee a space in tescos car park and enable crowds to part before you..

Yes, yes it’s the updated version of that random shutline ssangyong whatsit that everyone coughed up a little bit of sick when they encountered one in print or on the road..

This is spectacularly awesome..

( I see similarities with a jaaaag)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Fast estates are definitely the way forward 

Money no object the choices so far are good ones. I personally have a 3l tid saab 9-5 which I bought from a guy in a car park for a grand for bike and dog carrying duties. Obviously it’s at the other end of the scale than the cars mentioned, and it’s certainly no hooligan. But despite having a shade under 200 bhp it’s pretty quick in a straight line, ridiculously comfy, plenty of power for safe overtaking (it’s no m5 but it’s not massively slower than my Boxter s in this regard) , and can fit two trail bikes in the boot with the wheels off and the parcel shelf down.

tonyg2003

Big and fast estates? Swapped my E350cdi to petrol last year. At which point there were two petrols in the Merc e-class estate range, the E43 or E63! Can’t get a towbar for an E63 for the bike rack so I have an E43 estate. Pretty fast, fairly economical, big and comfy when you want it to be.

maxtorque

hmm, mines on 28 mpg, but then again i actually use the 300 ponies it has……   😉

iainc

I had a test drive early last year in the fast petrol Superb 4×4 estate. It was very quick and quite tempting. The interior was nice but not a patch on the A6 Avant. The Audi pcp deals made it a no brainier, though I went for a basic 2.0 diesel SE Quattro.

DickBarton

Pretty fast, fairly economical, big and comfy when you want it to be.

Define ‘fairly economical’…

adsh
    Free Member

Superb 4×4 higher output diesel manual. Big, capable, fast enough and utterly indistinct. Only fault is stupid 40 profile tyres

Mines 110k and swallow a 29er with wheels on. I practically live out of it.

tonyg2003

“Fairly economical”… around 30mph for 10k so far. Not bad for what it is although we don’t do enough miles for it to be a concern to me. I would have had the E63 if I could have fitted a towbar!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

30mph for 10k so far.

Respect. That must have taken ages.

tonyg2003

It was a long day, I was tired…sorry…. 30mph😀

cubist
    Free Member

It was a long day, I was tired…sorry…. 30mph

Well that cleared things up 😉

XFS Sportbrake is comfy, fast and feels a step up from my f11 530d in quality.   I do hanker for 8 cylinders and petrol, just once before they are gone forever.  15k miles a year makes it an expensive proposition though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Of course, why you all really wanted but never could afford (or at the time been seen in one) is this…

CountZero

In case you missed the thread title it’s for big, fast estates …

The Skoda ticks both boxes ..

The paramedic who turned out for my step-dad a couple of times was driving a Skoda Octavia estate, it had been tweaked and was putting out around 270 bhp, and perfectly capable of a really indecent turn of speed.

CountZero

I’m amazed that nobody has mentioned the ultimate hooligan estate, the one I’ve always wanted with all of my heart, and will hunt down as soon as the lottery coughs up…

BadlyWiredDog

Daffy

Times have moved on, but it was fast and big at the time I bought it 12 years ago.

demelitia
    Free Member

Very nice, clean. I like that Daffy. I’d have one in a breath. Currently looking at an e91 335d though….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘Let’s have a Big Fast Estates Thread’ is closed to new replies.