Let’s have a Big Fast Estates Thread

• This topic has 237 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  hodgynd.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 238 total)
  • Let’s have a Big Fast Estates Thread
  • Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

I don’t know much about those high spec Legacys but I sure like the look of them and thoroughly approve of your purchase Northwind. How many BHPs has it got then?

piha

Nice choice NZCol but have you got the roof bars yet?

Or more importantly, is it the .1 or .2?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

My mates still blasting around in his legacy, 2.5ltr flat four petrol machine.. 160k odd now but still looking like a decent vehiqule 👏

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Nice motor that 👍

parkesie

The Tesla model S shooting brake

CountZero

I think thats that’s the one that towed a jumbo 747…

It was indeed, someone reckoned that, given a long enough rope, it could raise the Titanic! A slight exaggeration, but that big oil burner produces humongous amounts of torques. 550 lb ft, apparently.

Count Zero..unless things have changed in subsequent years ..expect only 10-12 k miles per full set ( x4) of tyres …on a Touareg .

I spent 2k inside a year on tyres alone back in 2006.

Up until recently, I was doing around 4500/year! That’s going to probably double, but owning a Touareg is purely hypothetical at this time. Were I in the position to be able to afford to buy a V10 Touareg, I’d possibly consider getting an old Smart fourtwo diesel for commute purposes, which is 15 miles each way, at around 90/gallon, only using the VW for really shitty weather, and for weekend and holiday excursions.

mikertroid

How about a 535i touring?

It’s big. It’s fast. It’s an estate. Any questions?

Another Scandi lover here.

My Saab 9-3X remapped to 240 bhp.

Acceleration in 5th – 50-80 mph is amazing for a 1.9 oil burner.

NZCol

Failed its PPI I’m afraid so bailed on the purchase – lots more fish in that sea so keeping my powder dry. Ideally want to find a manual GTS. With roofbars ….

andrewh

Been a lot of chat on the previous pages about some ‘fantasy’ estates and yet no-one has mentioned these

For the real ‘money no object’ spec I’m sure it could be altered with some Vantage V600 bits…

More realistically these look a hoot, and might be half sensible

My father looked at one years ago, was about £15k, baulked at the running costs and bought a two year old 2L diesel 75 instead for £10k. His 75 is now worth about £1k, the V8 ZTs are heading for £20k. That £14k difference would have paid for a lot of fuel and tyres, sometimes the daft option is the more sensible.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Chrysler 300c Touring with a 5.7L V8 Hemi. Manages a stunning 12mpg 😂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>davosaurusrex
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I don’t know much about those high spec Legacys but I sure like the look of them and thoroughly approve of your purchase Northwind. How many BHPs has it got then?

It is bog standard at 260bhp (the manual version gets 280bhp, not sure whether it’s a hardware or software difference, but the manuals are usually about 33-50% more expensive too). 260 seems like a perfectly good number really.

</div>

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

I’m still sticking with the Merc E; 320 or bigger in avantgarde flavour. Will razz all over most of the ^^^^ without getting out of 3rd.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

not sure whether it’s a hardware or software difference

Auto boxes  tend to rob some bhp but at this level a nice auto box makes sense. Not the cars to be gunning through a manual box.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

In this case the engine output’s different too. Much rather have the manual tbf, auto is nice for wafting

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

The facelift Spec B auto box is meant to be a bit more eager to shift, plus you have the flappy paddles and the si drive thing.

I’m on the lookout for a UK DM facelift 3.0 Spec B at the moment, 245bhp is enough for me 🙂

hanchurch

I love a fast estate, my last car was a B7 S4 and I’ve currently got a F31 335d, both brilliant but I still miss the V8!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>ta11pau1
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

The facelift Spec B auto box is meant to be a bit more eager to shift, plus you have the flappy paddles and the si drive thing.

I’m on the lookout for a UK DM facelift 3.0 Spec B at the moment, 245bhp is enough for me

Yeah, I can add flappies if I’m so inclined and I thought I would, but not sure now.(though, the tiptronic lever feels intuitively the wrong way round for me, upsgifts are “away” and I feel like they should be “towards”)

TBF I think I’d have rather had the facelift 3.0 overall, but the LPG and lower tax on this daft thing actually make it fairly sensible.

</div>

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Technically an early V8 S4 would just creep into my price range, but I couldn’t bear the potential running costs of a 15 year old V8 S4, it would probably bankrupt me!!

If money was no object I’d have a 2.7 bi-turbo RS4, stunning cars and probably a decent investment. Oh and an RS2 and 1st gen RS6 alongside it!

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

TBF I think I’d have rather had the facelift 3.0 overall, but the LPG and lower tax on this daft thing actually make it fairly sensible.

There’s an LPG converted 3.0 facelift estate near me, it’s a little overpriced at £5500 but doing the maths it would save me around £40-50 a month… Insurance is actually slightly cheaper Vs non-lpg car for some reason!! I’ll see if it’s still there in a couple of weeks as I won’t have enough put away until the end of this month.

hanchurch

I had the S4 for 10 years, the only reason I sold it was that it was starting to cost big money to maintain (£1500 each fro the last two Mots) and I was starting to worry that something big may go.

Premier Icon on and on
    Subscriber

Dunno how I missed this thread, but hey ho.

current wagon is an RS Q3 performance tuned to just under 500bhp with 95 Ron and just over with 98+.

standard 0-62 was 4.5 so I’d imagine low 4s or high 3s are realistic.

hodgynd

Very nice ..but it ain’t an estate car ..

Premier Icon on and on
    Subscriber

Tourag and x5 have been posted so I’m in 🙂

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>hanchurch
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

I love a fast estate, my last car was a B7 S4 and I’ve currently got a F31 335d, both brilliant but I still miss the V8!

</div>

Had a go of my mate’s 335d, blimey they shift!

</div>

Premier Icon TheGingerOne
    Subscriber

Does that Q3 even have a boot! 🙂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I think I could fit that entire interior into my boot.

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

I suppose a Mazda 6 is a large estate car (XL enduro bike in boot, wheels off, seats up & cover pulled over). It is fast on windy roads because of its amazing cornering, something VAG cars have never been good at (couldn’t do dynamic chassis design if their lives depended on it, the sporty models might cheat by breaking the inside front wheel on corners to alleviate this I’m told).

hodgynd

On and on ..

The Touareg & X5..at least fulfil part of the criteria in as much as they are large & fast ..a Q7 would maybe get you a pass ..but with a Q3 ..sorry but you can’t come in son ..😁

Premier Icon on and on
    Subscriber

It’s fast, and in a state at the moment so I’m still in.

Love me. Pleeeeeeease 🙂

hodgynd

Well why didn’t you say that to start with …😂

andy8442

A Q3? Move on!

Has the Skoda Octavia been mentioned yet?

Premier Icon on and on
    Subscriber

How’s that Octavia 1.0TSI working out for you?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I’d admit the Q3 if it was my list, I’d also include all the other SUV’s because in essence they’re all derivatives of an estate car.

My mate has an SLine diesel Q3 and I recon it’s a surprisingly good vehicle, probably underrated because it looks like a squashed Q5 and most people see the Q5 as an equivalent of an X5 or something.

Premier Icon TheGingerOne
    Subscriber

SUV’s are derivatives of hatchbacks not estate cars. The Q3 is from the A3, which is a hatchback and there is no estate version of the A3!

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Yip, still have them in.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

There’s an LPG converted 3.0 facelift estate near me, it’s a little overpriced at £5500 but doing the maths it would save me around £40-50 a month… Insurance is actually slightly cheaper Vs non-lpg car for some reason!! I’ll see if it’s still there in a couple of weeks as I won’t have enough put away until the end of this month.

So I went to have a look at this car today, had a test drive of it and oh my, I stuck it in sport# mode and pulled away quickly onto a busy roundabout, dear god it grips and launches with zero effort required 😀

It’s still a bit over-priced and it needs a couple of bits sorting (wheels could do with a refurb, and rear parking sensors don’t work) but to drive it’s awesome, and the boot is massive.

fooman

This thread is relevant to my interests! I have a fairly rare (import only) 4WD turbo estate, can you guess what it is?

Toyota Caldina GT-T

Not a scooby….!

Toyota Caldina GT-T 4WD turbo, which has the same engine as the MR2 turbo / Celica GT4. Big enough without being bulky, two bikes in the back easy, or four on the roof with passengers.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

It’s an Avensis that’s packing heat!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘Let’s have a Big Fast Estates Thread’ is closed to new replies.