Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kids bikes… 7-year old girl… recommendations?
  • voodoo-rich

Looking for a new bike for my little girl, approx 1.2m tall, so all the shops reckon a 20" wheeled frame. She's currently racing round on a 16" hand-me-down, so not sure how she'll like the size change.

I was after something nice and simple, but everything out there seems to have gears and a suspension fork. I doubt the forks will be up to much, but will a 7-yr old cope OK with gears?

Any particular models you can recommend? I've looked at Carrera, Specialized, Pinnacle, but theres not much to choose between them. Is it worth going for something from Islabikes?

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

My bro swears by Isla bikes for his kids and they seem the best. Light and easy to ride with breaks which small fingers can use also good resale value.

Legoman
    Free Member

Just got my daughter a Spesh Hot Rock – she's only 5 but can manage the 20" wheel version fine. Not got the hang of the gears yet, but my 7yr old son handles them, no bother.

ski
    Free Member

2nd Isla bikes, well worth looking at.

Yes your 7 year old will be fine with gears, apart from shouting at you "What gear are you in Dad, I am in 3" all the time 😉

Nick

Isla Bikes…

Although the Giant MX20 we hired at Cannock was nice, quite a bit heavier than the Beinn 26 we bought in the end but still nice.

ski
    Free Member

My little 7 year old on her first ride on her new Beinn 20 (new colours are great btw), trying out gears for the first time, check out the face 😉

Atomizer

Whereabouts are you?
    I have a Trek MT60 20in wheel bike I need to sell. In neutral white so not too girly. Sus forks and gripshift 6 speed I think.
    I'm in Sussex

AlexSimon

I have 3 islabikes and they are all fantastic. Highly recommended. They're lighter and easier to use that than the competition.
    Unfortunately for my son's next bike he insists he has suspension, but I think I'm still going to get the 24" Beinn. Maybe add some aftermarket forks if he doesn't forgive me. I don't think you'll regret it.

voodoo-rich

Looks like I might need to find an Isla for her! Trying to steer her away from choosing a bike based on the pretty colours…

Atomizer- send me some pics? Not massively keen on anything with suspension for kids, but might be worth a look. How old is it? I'm in Kent btw, not far!

Atomizer

Try this link for photos. Probably five years old.
    My daughter used it for pretty long rides without any bother. Heavier than an Islabike for sure.
    Yours for £50.

Trek MT60-2

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

another for Isla Bikes, we have a couple my boys love them (5 & 6 at the time), recommended them to a mate & he bought a couple for his girls, I dont think you can go wrong

mick_r

She will easily be able to ride the larger model of the two 20" Islabikes. The better sizing (lower bb, short cranks etc) generally mean they can ride one wheel size up compared to all other bikes (e.g. my lad was on 20" + gears Islabike doing "proper" ish off road at 4.5 yrs). Check her against Islabikes size charts – they are generally very accurate.

It might be worth a visit for a test ride to see if she can even sneak onto a 24" (eldest now nearly 8 has been on 24" for a few months and it rolls much better off road).

Islabikes resale values on Ebay are also sky high – meaning no great worry if you need to upgrade a size in 12 months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kids bikes… 7-year old girl… recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.