Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,990 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I did think Davs Hope was a long way to go for about 5 manufactured mats and some data 🙂

Fortunately, the jump range in the DBX means I was doing something else in 2/3 jumps.

Matt

crewlie

Did the log out thing at Dav’s Hope once but it felt wrong and won’t do it again.Spent yesterday away from Akuntsu doing some engineering. Got access to Liz Ryder and did the qualifying mission, then found out that she need 200t of land mines…really should have done some reading first!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I love an hour razzing round Davs Hope. It’s like Mario Kart in space. Would be better with other CMDRs racing to compete for the materials and the first one round gets to scan the beacon.

I don’t give a shit about relogging to farm materials. It’s no more cheating or immersion breaking than using any of the countless other shonky game mechanics. As long as it works, I’ll keep doing it.

crewlie

Just seen that the NKL/ARP election is on and in preparation. Both Factions are on 25.5%. What do we need to do now?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What do we need to do now?

Do election related missions for NKL?

I’ll be doing them in my Cutter because Imperial Duke Vladimir Perchy is strong like bear and loves interfere with foreign election for make benefit glorious Motherland

matt_bl
    Free Member

That is great work by everyone! ARP were nowhere before we started that push!

Perchy has it! We can drop any work for ARP now. Basically the data missions have an election flavour and hijacking missions are common. I don’t know whether it was due to the election, but I got a poll data mission where 9 dangerous condas were sent after me one at a time!

You could still trade into Tennyson D’Eyncourt (tritium is nearly 8k per t, with Ostyat and Sun Pef best sells), though only one load (200t) per commodity would count. Carto data would also count if handed in there.

The NKL motto ‘vote early, vote often’!

Matt

[Edit] Just a note to say there is no need to smash a load of time into this. Given that we developed ARP I don’t see much opposition. For example, if it is useful to you take the federal rep points or the mats. A few of us with 2/3 missions each will max the win each day.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s worth noting that, during an election, combat activities don’t count. i.e handing in bounties and combat bonds etc.

The rewards for combat missions e.g. assassination missions do count but the bounties for them don’t.

It’s also a daily reset.

You could outperfom the other party on day one by a factor of 100 to 1 and then, if you do nothing for the next three days then you could lose each of those day by a single point and lose the election three days to one.

I’ve been reading up on it a bit here…

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/index-to-the-bgs-previously-on-the-forum.408768/

D0NK

That is totally cheating.

It’s like the difference between tax avoidance/evasion, morally you can argue they both wrong but one is 100% legal (and breaks immersion and yes you can absoutely argue it’s wrong, but cheating it aint). If an exploit doesnt get patched (and most of the ones mentioned so far are quite old) the game devs are happy with it.

Frontier encourage the grind, they only seem to nerf get rich quick schemes.

Are the election missions obvious? Will they all be murdering ARP officials or are there less deadly ways to screw over the democratic process?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are the election missions obvious?

All missions for NKL will count as does trade / exploration data at an NKL controlled facility.

Only thing that doesn’t count is combat bonds / bounties. Those are what count during a War.

D0NK

tried the compromised nav beacon during my lunch time, 1st fight was a 2 wing and I got knocked down to 54% hull, ouch! The rest went ok, just slightly cooked myself a few times, was low on ammo and getting ready to call it a day when an elite anaconda jumped in, decided to risk it, synthesized a reload and charged in, managed to keep in it’s blind spot til he was down to about 30% hull then lost it a bit and ended up in a lancing fight, kept my shields tho. Phew.

All missions for NKL will count as does trade / exploration data at an NKL controlled facility.

cheers.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I don’t think anything we’re talking about is considered cheating by the Devs and the majority of players. There is still a choice about whether you want to do them or not.

It is still possible to mine painite @ 200t per hour, so I’m not losing much sleep about the poor egg farmers and now redundant SLFs.

Anything that isn’t patched is by definition fair game and whether you use it or not is down to how you want to play the game. Well that’s my take.

Matt

matt_bl
    Free Member

@D0NK good work. It’s always the ‘just one more’!

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

They don’t stop you doing stuff because they haven’t got time to work out a system to prevent it – they are too busy building new stuff that’ll sell more copies. There are never enough devs to do everything you want to do.

Anyway point is that we can all choose what we want to do.

I know Anacondas aren’t popular on here but I love mine, I love how I don’t have to shoot stuff, it shoots it for me, and quite hard. Just spent half an hour cruising a nav beacon blasting Kraits and even another Anaconda. They fly over all cocky, then get hit with so much firepower they run away, and whilst they try to take evasive action to save their sorry hide I zap some missiles in. That is the missing piece it seems, they are very effective and make up for the lack of speed in pursuit.

Only drawback is the rebuy is now a shocking 45m. But I’m this far in I need to carry on with the engineering to make that rebuy as unlikely as possible. I need shields and thrusters. Is there a guardian mod for these like there is for the FSD?

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@D0NK – just dropped off 36T of Tritium on your carrier. Just curious to see how the depot works. @matt_bl – I tried the same at your carrier but it was already full.

Did a few more missions tonight, a Fed navy rank mission popped up too and with a few time bonuses the bank balance is going the right way.

crewlie

I feel bad about building ARP up just so that we can shaft them. I’ve got to know them quite well, and made a few friends in there. They think I’m an ally but I’m just a double crossing no-good. They only have one station and we’re going to take it away from them. Still, all’s fair in love and Elite 😎

matt_bl
    Free Member

@Son-of-mike I think the devs topped up the tanks of the carriers when the patch came out on Monday, I had about 400 but then the next day it was full.

Thanks for the thought though.

Matt

squirrelking
    Free Member

I feel bad about building ARP up just so that we can shaft them.

I don’t, in fact I may go find a wee corner myself and put the pirates in charge.

D0NK

I need shields and thrusters. Is there a guardian mod for these like there is for the FSD?

Yep, guardian shield booster, you need mats from guardian sites to enable them from technology broker. They fit in optional slots so you can fill utility slots with standard boosters and then optional internal slots with guardians ones to get really silly shields. They do hull boosters too but you cant engineer them and they draw power, iirc they do have corrosive buffs so maybe worth it for xeno hunting. All the details are on inara, dont think there anything for thrusters, with 1 or 2 exceptions you want G5 dirty with drag drives from palin.
    https://inara.cz/galaxy-techbroker/

D0NK

@D0NK – just dropped off 36T of Tritium on your carrier.

Thank you kindly!

matt_bl
    Free Member

The guardian sheild boosters are a fixed addition according to module class. This makes them kind of good for smaller ships with smaller shields. Utility slot Boosters are a percentage and so OP for large ships. The guardian shield boosters are applied after the shield boosters in your utilities so there is no multiplication bonus (Thank Braben!). They max at class 5 which is worth a couple of hundred points.

If you want to shield tank your conda, and why wouldn’t you, pledge to the blue haired beauty (I don’t think you have to put the calendar in your ship) get yourself some prismatics, 7 boosters on your utility mounts, and a couple of class 5 or 6 SCBs in your optionals. This should give you about 4000 absolute hit points, double with resistances.

On the downside, you will need power efficient weapons since that’s a lot of juice for those shields, oh and if they go down, they aren’t coming back up.

Matt

son-of-mike
    Free Member

does anyone know why, when you’re collecting materials after combat, the first few limpets seem to self destruct/expire on returning to the ship? They don’t hit anything, have a clear run to/from the target. Seems to go; kill pirate, see mats, deploy limpet, scoop open, collect the mat, put it into cargo then die. Same thing happens at High Grades, Degraded, Encoded signals etc. I go through 3 or 4 limpets before I get one that actually lasts and collects more than 1 target.

I thought it was maybe a shonky batch I bought from Slumpy’s Fuel & Limpets 😉 but it’s not

#LimpetLivesMatter

matt_bl
    Free Member

Don’t select a target from the materials. If you select something the limpet collects it, then comes back and retires, purpose satisfied.

If you launch without selecting a target it will scoop everything within range.

My sympathy for limpets wears pretty thin once the third one in a row has yeeted itself into a rock trying to collect fragments!

Matt

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you fire a limpet with any collectable material targetted then the limpet will collect just the specifically targetted item and then expire.

If you fire the limpet with nothing targetted then it’ll keep collecting anything (excluding stuff on your ignore list) until it runs out of targets.

D0NK

oh and if they go down, they aren’t coming back up.

Yep, prismatics are great for single/short term heavy encounters, but once you’re out of SCBs* full recharge is measured in years I think. Biweaves with good resistances for sitting in a res/conflict zone for prolonged periods. You can jump into supercruise to boost recharge rate but prismatics are still going to take a while.

*and a canny enemy will nerf your SCBs with feedback cascade

and a +1 on the dont target your limpets

I thought it was maybe a shonky batch I bought from Slumpy’s Fuel & Limpets

Cheek!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not going near Duval and the Empire. I’d rather get shot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Then I’m off to sort out Coribes, someone is doing some work there for the imperial faction.

Just had a look in Inara at Coribes and there isn’t an Imperial faction.

The system is however controlled by a fairly large player faction, The Syndicate.

Is it wise to be pissing on their chips, do we think?

D0NK

Is it wise to be pissing on their chips, do we think?

possibly not, looks like they cover a large area and 37 squadron members. Maybe consolidate a bit first.

After we’ve beaten the ARP in akuntsu do we do more work for NKL, improve our influence and trigger a war with IPP?

matt_bl
    Free Member

@Perchypanther yes that’s exactly who I meant. I was looking to see whether anyone was active, to contact in their Squadron, but on Inara at least there is very little recent activity. Someone who does a load of BGS close to Sol suggested it was 50% working for your group, 50% collecting data and 60% negotiation with other player factions!

@D0NK
    exactly, the more stations you have in a system the harder it is for other people to mess with you and the easier it is for you to accumulate influence. That is the rationale for taking on ARP first.

Matt

[Edit] When we win the election we will get a boost to our influence which I think will push us quite close to IPP.

D0NK

Just reading a bit more on it, what about a coup?

It is also possible to skip a conflict state and have a “coup”. This only occurs if a faction rises with excessively increased influence to dominate the system and the rival faction controlling the system drops to very low influence and has no positive player activity. This rare event leads to the changing of the controlling asset instantly but it may be delayed by some states.

Kick out ARP, we work our arses off for NKL and NO ONE DO ANYTHING FOR IPP, reckon that could get a coup?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds like a jolly jape, I’m in.

– Your pal, Mark Thatcher.

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘collecting data’?

son-of-mike
    Free Member

Matt_BL & Perchy – thanks for the advice on limpets. So a case of PICCNIC then. Problem In Cmdr’s Chair, Not In Computer.

Re: BGS NKL etc. Consolidating systems sounds like a good plan. Is there any benefit to having Coribes? The distances have put me off going there TBH (my old joystick has a “wander” on it so I need to keep a hand on it so I can’t just set it and go make a cuppa).

perchypanther
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘collecting data’?

Spreadsheets in Space.

In order to manipulate the BGS then there are loads of variables.

For example, you can’t stage a coup if either your faction or the opposing faction has any other conflict state pending, active or on cooldown. If any of these blocking states are extant then the coup won’t trigger.
    So in order to stage the coup you’d need to monitor both factions in every system they’re in for as long as it takes to change the influence that’s required to trigger the coup. That’s potentially a load of daily information gathering which is obviously made easier by 3rd party tools like Inara but still a pain in the hoop

matt_bl
    Free Member

This. Inara is reliable in the busy systems, but days out of date in many of the systems around Kuwembaa.

It gets particularly difficult if you are trying to do things like direct expansions, as you are trying to tweak a minimum of two systems, whilst ensuring no-one else sneaks in, either deliberately of by accident.

Matt

squirrelking
    Free Member

****!

Always check the small print. Lonchakov Horizons, 348k, FML.

son-of-mike
    Free Member

yup, I’ve done that before. 🙂 I think the Voyager probes are something like 2 million LS out.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ouch. Wasn’t too bad, I made a cup of tea and read some stuff on here. Hit somewhere north of 800c so it was quick enough.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Find and return mission!

I’m sure it’s not really the case, but those places always seem to have some well paying missions, though they should do for making you trogg all the way out there.

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

I reached 2001c on a trip out to find some pirates who were 0.28Ly away from the entry point. There were five, engaged, killed two whilst the other three got away. Chased them, they respawned back in the same place, so had to do it again. That’s about 8 million Ls. Took about 1.5hrs each time.

perchypanther
    Free Member

…. and you didn’t even get a Hutton Orbital mug or the free Anaconda.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,990 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.