• This topic has 111 replies, 85 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Just been stung for 2k by foum user
  • onandon
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cannondale-scalpel-carbon-1-2011-may-px

The bike was delivered today with cracks around both bottle cage holes. The are deffo cracks in carbon.
    Sent a polite email asking what we could do to resolve the problem …….response ….. It’s your bike now, I’m not going to refund.

Great, so I now have a cracked frame and over 2.000 down

Thanks Nicholas Devine, its really appreciated.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pitchforks at the ready !

thejesmonddingo

Blimey,he’s sold a lot of stuff!

LeeW

How did you pay?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Three rocks, two with pointy corners and a bag of gravel

unklehomered
    Free Member

It wasn’t me, I didn’t do nothing, I was dead at the oh no wait it actually wasn’t me, suitcases down, passport back in drawer, act like nothing happened….

Lifer
    Free Member

in vgc

Well obviously not!

deviant
    Free Member

2k for a second hand carbon bike….rather you than me, that doesn’t excuse being ripped off but when dealing with amounts of money like that I wouldnt do business with some bloke on a forum.

jota180
    Free Member

Another classifieds only user with dubious morals

Small Claims Courts

onandon
    Free Member

Well it turns out its true. You shouldn’t buy from forum members who only/mainly sell.

slimjim78
    Free Member

when dealing with amounts of money like that I wouldnt do business with some bloke on a forum.

hate to say it, but I agree with this.

2k and carbon would make me want to see it in the flesh first. Although he’s clearly a tool.

mattjg
    Free Member

Forum history of only trades, no discussion forum contributions – and ad copy that read cut and pasted from ebay (likely buyers here don’t need to be told what a Scalpel is, they’ll know if they are in the market).

Sorry you got burned. Kick a fuss with Paypal if that’s how you paid.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My first stop would be citizens advice…or trading standards. Get some legal/consumer rights advice then email the seller with the results.

Good luck getting your cash back.

deluded
    Free Member

cracks around both bottle cage holes

Any photies?

mattjg
    Free Member

You shouldn’t buy from forum members who only/mainly sell.

Not really forum members are they, it’s just someone with a login posting ads.

Bregante

How did you pay?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Just sue him – moneyclaim.gov.uk

Easy, cheap, let the sod get a ccj and as your £2k down, might as well baliffs to his life for a little extra.

logical
    Free Member

tpbiker
    Free Member

just goes to show that having faith that people aren’t gits is never a good idea. Small claims as above? Did you pay via pp, and if not then you’ll have his bank details? Can you post them up so I’ll know not to every deal with the guy once he’s changed his user profile and assumed another identity.

I feel your pain…

Karinofnine

God, I bet you feel sick, I would. I hope you get it sorted.

Lots of Devines in BT phone book for Glasgow, but no Ns. Do you have any other details about him? His address for example? How did the frame get to you? By courier? Did it have a ‘from’ address on the despatch note?

somouk
    Free Member

Did you not think to inspect the bike before handing over 2k?

Still not right of him to be like that and you do have a recourse, hopefully you paid with paypal!

tony24
    Free Member

If all else fails check out a carbon repair place. Its in such an unstressed area that a small repair could solve problem???

tomhoward

It’s DEFINITELY not a sticker?

That really sucks, hopefully you paid with proper paypal or with a CC?

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’d suggest reporting him to the mods so he can’t rip anyone else off but they don’t appear to do anything to ban people who scam members on here.

onandon
    Free Member

I don’t want to give too much away regarding my next steps, don’t want to pre-empt anything.
    Be carful out their chaps, some right tosses masquerading as decent folk.

Keep um peeled

m0rk
    Free Member

Sherifs court, rather than Moneyclaim for Scotchland.

Stolen from MSE…

If you’re buying second-hand goods from private seller (someone who doesn’t sell goods for all or part of their living) your rights are nowhere near as strong as when buying from a shop.

The only protection is that it’s correctly described and the owner has the right to sell it. Here it really is a case of caveat emptor or ‘let the buyer beware’.

So if the seller says nowt or little about the goods and you buy it, then that’s it. Even if it’s shoddy, you weren’t mis-sold, so have no comeback. Though if they lie to you – you do.

Basically if he said it wasn’t cracked, you have a case. If he said nothing about it – you have no comeback (apart from stalking him on facebook, and driving up to stage a hanging)

unklehomered
    Free Member

In seriousness, I hope you have some form of redress. Did you get pics of the frame, did he hide the cracks in them?

I hope you have some form of redress.

As a seller I always try to arrange face to face for anything in 3 figures, and I don’t sell cracked frames…

A quick google of his email address shows he uses it liberally. try conventional methods first, but I’m sure the STW Vengeance Machine could make his life hell, indefinitely… just say the word 😈

somafunk

Do you have his home address?, if so i’d be having a quiet word with him but i take it you are not local to Glasgow seeing as you got the bike delivered. He described the bike as vgc so it should be a relatively easy proposition to take him to the small claims court.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d suggest reporting him to the mods so he can’t rip anyone else off but they don’t appear to do anything to ban people who scam members on here.

I am not sure what the solution is tbh but this will keep happening…if only stw towers felt as strongly about this as they did about TJ.

OP sorry to hear that and I hope you get some redress

Northwind

m0rk – Member

Basically if he said it wasn’t cracked, you have a case. If he said nothing about it – you have no comeback

Described as Very Good Condition, clearly isn’t, so not as described.

If you paid by Paypal, and not gift, then they’ll do some arse-kicking for you.

jota180
    Free Member

..if only stw towers felt as strongly about this as they did about TJ

The [strike]scammers[/strike] classifieds only users drive traffic – therefore advertising revenue – to the site, TJ probably didn’t [most days] 🙂

deluded
    Free Member

Are we (the forum) able to see said cracks?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

I think before we put a tyre round his neck, can we see this cracked frame,because at the moment its all just hearsay.

jota180
    Free Member

its all just hearsay.

no it’s not, it’s first hand

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m still awaiting a set of Stans Valves that I bought off here over a month ago. This thread has reminded me that the situation could be worse!

Did he try to claim it happened in transit? Or just a straight up ‘sorry your issue’?

Having said that its frightening what a quick google of an e.mail address brings up isn’t it? If I was a dishonest scammer I’d perhaps have sense not to use my normal e.mail account to do business from so that some dusgruntled nutter and his pals didn’t turn up at my house/place of work demanding 2 grand.

parkesie
    Free Member

I thought it was 2nd hand?
    Get ya crack out lets see it.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Chuckled at the description here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/cannondale-scalpel-carbon-1-2011-may-take-px-t27980.html

‘it’s a cracking bike’

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I learned my lessons last time. Bought a pair of gloves from ‘bert’, never seen them, or the money. Was only 7 quid, so not comparable to your loss at all. I now never ask to buy or sell with PayPal gift, or buy off a classified user only. Hope you get some joy mate, you must be gutted.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I’m in Glasgow if you would like me to have a word just ask. That’s if you show us this cracked bike of course.

How is it a piece of piss to get an address from a car registration number?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Just been stung for 2k by foum user’ is closed to new replies.