• This topic has 111 replies, 85 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Just been stung for 2k by foum user
  • somafunk

From the dvla website

Release of another vehicle s keeper details

You can obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of a vehicle if you can show reasonable cause for needing the information.

Members of the public will need to complete form V888. Companies can either complete form VQ3 or apply in writing giving full details of the reason for the enquiry and the vehicle registration mark. Both forms are available from DVLA.

The fee for information at a specific date of event is 2.50 per vehicle. If further information is required, for instance, a copy of a document or additional keeper information, a fee of 5 is required per vehicle.

Send your application to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ.

It is an offence to unlawfully obtain personal data which is contrary to Section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998. Unlimited fines in the Crown Court (or to a maximum of 5,000 in the Magistrates Court) exist as penalties in respect of these offences.

I’ve used it a few years ago to find someones address for a similar problem to the OP.

Failing that he’s advertising for a new full sus mtb on mtbe.co.uk as below, get someone to open up a false seller email correspondence with him and there you go, scam him back with a non existent bike and find his address.

scam the scammer

logical
    Free Member

If his number is up on his car *cough* accidentally *cough* make a claim for him hitting you.

velomanic
    Free Member

This may be useful: Sale of Goods Act 1979 (search for the term ‘merchantable quality‘)

Brianblessed
    Free Member

i bet he’s loving reading all this… NOT ! what a wnkr !!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s me, pebblebeach and glasgowdan all up for a visit.

jota180
    Free Member

You could always try ringing him at work?

the FB page lists his employer

somouk
    Free Member

Add him as a friend on Facebook and see if he accepts then just write all over his wall how he ripped you off. Or add his wife and try the same.

Might bring it home to him that it’s silly to rip people off and it can get very close to home very quickly.

ton

i have his house address if you want it…….i sold him some stuff.

email me if you do…….addy in my profile.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Send ton to give him a fist pie!

davidjones15
    Free Member

I am not sure what the solution is tbh but this will keep happening.

It’s easy, I neither buy or sell through the classified, never even look and never been scammed. I see too many rip offs and too little input from the site owners.
    Perhaps a 24 hour, or longer, strike or a boycott from regular forum users? Hit ’em where it hurts. 👿

mandog

Deliver a sheep’s head to his house.

deluded
    Free Member

This is getting somewhat ridiculous – the release of his car index, FB with work contact details, offers to disclose his H/A etc??

We have ONE account – and that’s all at the moment and we still await to see the alleged defects.

Can I suggest we exercise a little more restraint and open mindedness?

DezB
    Free Member

We all need to keep a look out for his posts in the classifieds. just post a link to this thread under all his adverts.

nuke

We have ONE account – and that’s all at the moment and we still await to see the alleged defects.

Yeah, as terrible as it sounds I’m with deluded on this: be good to see some pics of the alleged cracks.

vinnyeh

If I were the purchaser I’d hope that I had some photos to hand, the sellers word for word response and a second opinion or two before lighting the touch paper, but I’m sure that’ll all be revealed very soon.

DezB
    Free Member

As said though, the bottle cage area is very low stress area, I used my Principia for a couple of years with a split around the boss,eventually it cracked around the head tube. Patch it up and use it, you’re not down 2 grand unless you were planning to sell it on.

onandon
    Free Member

So the pic isnt great but each of the two bottle cage bolts have at some point been over stressed. Probably falling sideways with a bottle in a cage. The bosses have torn the carbon so the whole area flexes.

He may have not known about this prior to sending the bike but the attitude sucks balls to just say ,not my problem NO REFUND.

I live in Hampshire so no opportunity to see him. Small claims are a totals waste of time in my opinion, in the past I’ve won a case but this doesn’t get you the money back. It only proved you were right.

Thanks for the info guys , appreciated.

nealglover
    Free Member

I live in Hampshire so no opportunity to see him

For £2k I would be making a journey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For £2k I would be making a journey.

For £2k, I’d be looking in the sales and buying a new bike from a dealer. Not that this excuses the potential problem here.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Put it on classifieds and hope no-one on this thread sees it. 😯

Seriously tho’ looks nowt to me but if it does flex as you say then another reason to stick wi alloy for my next push-iron.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“the whole area flexes”…expand?

BoardinBob

If you paid by Paypal, get a claim in. I had to recently and got my money back. You need to have not paid by gift though, and submit a claim as the item was significantly not as described.

Here’s how I did it: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/possibly-scammed-advice-appreciated

KINGTUT
    Free Member

just needs new bottle cage rivets imo, had the same on an alu frame.

angryratio
    Free Member

Have you sought the opinion of a trusted local bike shop yet as opposed to all of the arm chair experts on here?

onandon
    Free Member

If i pull the bolt lightly to the left the whole are around the crack from 6 oclock to 12 oclock position will lift by a few mm.
    Same thing happens with the bother bolt hole.

I don’t trust any of the bike shops I know. They tend to be next to useless.
    The bike arrived today and I looked at it this evening so not had a chance to do much.

Regardless of what happens to me. Let it be a warning to others that the guy is a retard and shouldn’t be trusted.
    I purchased a bike from a guy who I though was a decent chap, the end ………. You live and learn.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Knowing absolutely nothing about carbon bikes and therefore possibly offering a completely useless contribution, wouldn’t that boss be made of alloy and be glued onto the carbon? Could it be that the glue has parted with the carbon rather than a carbon crack? It also just looks like a paint crack possibly caused by the different expansion properties of carbon and alloy under temperature fluctuations but you say the whole area moves so I return back to my 1st point.

Hope you get it all sorted mate, the attitude stinks, real carbon crack or not.

duntstick
    Free Member

Here’s hoping he has a change of heart pdq. Seem’s like a normal enough bloke.

But selling a carbon bike without mentioning cracks in the downtube………..

May as well have robbed him in the street!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I used to be able to squeeze the downtube and (gently!) flex the bottle cage side to side on my old maxlight xc pro (the lightest one they did at the time with massive oval downtube), and there were no cracks anywhere on that, even after I rode the tits off it.

I would be taking it to a good bike shop preferably a Cannondale dealer and asking them if it is the laquer that’s cracked or the frame itself. Edit: took so long typing this that the preceding posts have rendered the above irrelevant.

Attitude of seller stinks. I would have had those bottle bosses properly looked at before sale and then been honest about whatever turned out to be wrong.

mmel
    Free Member

Hello

Sure is a nasty feeling when something turns up not as you expected – especially when the seller sounds like a proper piece of work.

Now, I am only going on what I see in your picture but I do have quite a bit of experience with carbon fibre as I’m an aerospace non-destructive test engineer for my sins and I asses supposed cracks in carbon fibre aircraft components (along with aluminium) quite often.

To be sure it’s cracked the first thing you will have to do is take the paint off in the area of interest. It may sound obvious but paint doesn’t flex nearly as well as carbon fibre and will look cracked even though all is ok below. If underneath it still looks cracked then the only way to tell how bad it is, is to use ultrasonics to see if the carbon lay-up has disbonded. Carbon fibre really doesn’t fail like metals do and what would be a crack for sure in metal may well not be in carbon.

Drop me an email if you need any more information. I would offer to take a look at it but you’re quite a way from me.

I know it’s probably little consolation but you look to have some great kit on that bike. Worst case situation is you get hold of a new front triangle and move the components across, or break and sell. If you tot the parts up you may not lose as much cash as you think.

Hope all this helps 😉

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

attitude of the seller (though to be fair we havn’t actually seen the emails he sent either) not very good – however the damage doesn’t look world ending either – take it to a cannondale dealer, get them to tell you the score, and if it’s no bother/fixable for a few quid, strike the seller from your xmas card list and move on.

for me, I think it’s a case of live and learn. taking this to small claims will be very hard, considering the layman/magistrate probably won’t see a small crack in a used frame as much of a big deal.

higgo
    Free Member

Would you really Ken?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDKTTNXH2w[/video]

angryratio
    Free Member

I suggest posting him a wee in his shoes kit.. i.e. the diy version.
    A small bottle of your own piss and serving instructions.
    Enough to dose a pair of size 10 Loake shoes in an f fitting should be adequate.

cozz
    Free Member

whats the frame warranty from manufacturer

surley cannondale shuold replace or offer a heavily discounted replacement frameset as a goodwill gesture

id get his home address and drive up for a visit to be fair, but a phone call at work / to his boss would be worthwhile before hand

watsontony
    Free Member

ill give you £150 for the frame??

nmdbase
    Free Member

So how did you pay for it?

yunki
    Free Member

a mate of mine did this once..

the heavies demanded cash in advance, when he met them to pay, they took his money and shattered his jaw..

he looked like predator.. 😆

bruneep

surley cannondale shuold replace or offer a heavily discounted replacement frameset as a goodwill gesture

Why?

id get his home address and drive up for a visit to be fair, but a phone call at work / to his boss would be worthwhile before hand

What has his work got to do with a private sale?

Flaperon

If I’d been ripped off to the tune of 2k I wouldn’t feel badly about letting is boss know what he’d done and the fact that the company name is associated with this thread.

edlong
    Free Member

I’m confused about the whole classifieds thing on here. I’ve just read the rules and it goes on about private sellers flicking on spare stuff and stipulating TRADE disclosures on ads that are from traders, but it appears to be a load of cr*p, doesn’t it, cos clearly, if there’s members who are prolific posters in the classified but never go near the chat forums then that’s the definition of a trader, surely?

I never go near the classifieds myself, because I read so many horror stories. It’s notable that singletrack towers are ever so keen to police / clean up / ruin / sensibly moderate* (delete as applicable) the chat forums, but they don’t seem to have anything to say about the other half of the forum being scam city?

I realise that the bad guy in this is the seller, but it appears to me that singletrack have some sort of responsibility (morally or ethically, probably not legally) for providing a platform for scams and rip offs.

Why do they allow activity that is clearly in blatant contravention of the “rules”?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Just been stung for 2k by foum user’ is closed to new replies.