• This topic has 44 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by lock.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Recommend me a new motorbike
  • flange
    Free Member

I currently have this

Which is very fast, lovely, reliable and well – its a Honda. Thing is, its a bit too fast. I’m not nearly a good enough rider to come anywhere near 60% of what it can do and when I’m at that 60%, I’m probably doing speeds that would land me in prison. Its also robbing the fun of riding a motorbike – its so serious that I never just piss about on it, having a laugh. Its ‘head down get there the fastest’ sort of stuff. So I want to chop it in for something else.

In the past I’ve had mainly Honda’s, Super Blackbird, CBR6rr, another fireblade (older one) but I’ve also had a Mille and a 1200 bandit (which was HATEFUL). I loved the Mille but it just never worked, everytime I went out on it something would break. But I think a twin suits me and my riding style much better than an IL4.

My riding is varied between smashing out motorway miles between Guildford and Suffolk, trackdays (including the odd trip to the ring) and just messing about (rubbish wheelies and that sort of stuff). I don’t mind if its less reliable than the Honda as long as its not a money pit like the Mille was.

Any ideas?

fasthaggis

HP2

sam_underhill

Triumph Street triple is top of my list. Great deals on the outgoing model. Imminent new model, probably with ABS.

Probably not much good for long motorway trips though, not sure how it feels with the fly screen, probably depends on how tall you are. Seems to easily be the most popular fun bike according to the press, which might satisfy your “messing about” criteria.

fasthaggis

or an Italian job

flange
    Free Member

HP2 – like rocking horse poop and how much!

Hmm, see I do like the Street triple – and my bike was bought from a Honda/triumph stealer so I could probably get an ok price for it there. I’ve not ridden one, just sat on one but they do feel pretty nimble, the position is similar to my DH bike.

Is this a world of pain?

weeksy

Ducati 848
    KTM RC8

flange
    Free Member

Great minds FH

weeksy

MAte had a streetfighter… Was apparently the quickest bike he’d ridden in years on track when it came to outright lap times. He loved it.

What’s not to like…. 1098 engine in a sit up chasis… apart from wind-blast…

weeksy

I’ve owned 3 KTM 950’s. Including 2 950SMR’s…. they’re marvellous machines.

juan
    Free Member

Well you have a modern in-line four japanese piece of poo.. Get yourself either a classic, or a real (aka european) mon or twin motorcycle. Anything will be better than the joke you had 😀

BobaFatt
    Free Member

flange
    Free Member

Yes, THANK YOU juan!

KTM’s are tempting, as is a speed triple.

Does anybody know anyone with one of these?

weeksy

I’ve also owned several Superdukes… based upon experience, i wouldn’t buy an SDR… i’d buy an SD though

Rubber_Buccaneer

Do you really think you will go that much slower on any of these bikes?

I’ve just traded in a mille for a Bonneville (I even considered big gay cruisers as a fun change in style) and I’m liking the slower pace being forced on me as I am incapable of self regulation. It’s not my only bike though.

neninja
    Free Member

Your problem is that most of the ‘fun’ twin cylinder bikes will also be not so much fun on long motorway slogs.

KTM Superduke
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Ducati Streetfighter
    All great fun but no wind protection.

My first thought was a BMW HP2 Sport – theres a few low mileage ones on Biketrader.

Perhaps try to get a test ride on a Multistrada – they’re surprisingly fun and really comfy for longer motorway rides.

If it was me I’d just keep the Blade and try to show some restraint. You won’t get a much better all rounder than the bike you’ve got.

flange
    Free Member

Yep – always wanted a SuperDuke but a mate had a couple and they were nowt but trouble. Still love em though

Rubber Buccaneer – My Mrs has a V7 Guzzi and whilst its a lovely thing, it’s maybe a little too slow for what I want. I’ll only have the one bike so it needs to do everything, just maybe not quite as quickly as the ‘Blade

weeksy

Neninja is right… i bought Yam XT660’s (3 of them) to try and slow me down.. i just ended up riding like more of an idiot in less appropriate places, jumping kerbs, etc to give me the fun facotr.

I then decided to sod it and buy some R1’s. I now have 3.

However the weather has dictated i should never ride my bike again lol

juan
    Free Member

Your problem is that most of the ‘fun’ twin cylinder bikes will also be not so much fun on long motorway slogs.

Motorway, are you a wuss or something? What do you think cols are made for? Motorway. And then what else. A fully rigid 29er?

flange
    Free Member

Motorway, are you a wuss or something? What do you think cols are made for? Motorway. And then what else. A fully rigid 29er?

Yes, because there’s a lot of those between Guildford and Suffolk. I’ve got to say, the thought of a smokey old ‘classic’ doesn’t exactly fill me with excitement. I’m sure they’re lovely but not for me

I’m going to go have a look at that Streetfighter on Saturday, then maybe take a V4 Tuono out for a ride. Finally a KTM SD and if none tickle my fancy I’ll keep the Fireplace.

footflaps

Best mile munchers are nice smooth bikes like VFR800 or a Triumph triple thingy.

EDIT or Pan European – used to always get highest ratings in Ride magazine.

smogmonster

CB1000r?? Coincidentally mine is for sale 😈

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-othonda-cb-1000r

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fun?
    Well, I was quite taken with one of these recently

http://www.husqvarnamotorcycles.com.au/news-article.asp?aid=33&t=Husqvarna+Nuda+900R

Not cheap, but an astonishing looking bike in the flesh.

That said, the best fun I’ve ever had on a motorbike was a Monster 696 with a piffling 79bhp. I traded in a 955i Speed Triple for that, and the small, light, revvy little Monster was more fun

Power does not necessarily mean fun 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you really think you will go that much slower on any of these bikes?

I was just as fast if not faster on my Monster as my S3……

BUT I could rev the knackers off the Monster for a LOT more of the time. Now that’s the fun part! 🙂

juan
    Free Member

yeah the Husqvarna is ace buddy of mine as one, and he quite likes it 😉
    Plus it almost has the correct number of cylinders 😀

failedengineer

I’ve just traded my 1050 Speed Triple in for a Tiger 800. I thought it would be considerably slower. However, it is faster on roads that are less than perfect and the wee screen allows reasonably comfy 90 mph cruising (The S3 used to attempt to rip my head off above 75 or so). Fab bike – thoroughly recommended.

saleem
    Free Member

My mate has just set up a company called The East London Chop Shop, be one of the first with one of their bikes, first sold to Wayne Rooney, I like the Power Plant stuff as its completly different from bike to bike, Confederate are nice as well.

anagallis_arvensis

I like the look of the nuda.

br
    Free Member

You need 2 bikes, one for Suffolk/Guildford (can I suggest either of my last two bikes – Triumph 1050 Tiger/Sprint) and another for fun, but to slow you down get something without a fairing (Street Triple. Monster, KTM etc).

brakes
    Free Member

get a KTM, everyone looks cool on a KTM. even you would.

billysugger
    Free Member

You need 2 bikes.

Motorway bike meh, anything sterile, BMW maybe.

Then for fun I can’t recommend one of these enough:

I put 20k on an 03 Mille and the smiles per mile didn’t come close (Not in this country anyway)

CountZero

I’m not a biker, but that SuperDuke…
    …I think I’m going for a lie down in a darkened room for a bit!

billysugger
    Free Member

No offence Count but I think it looks like this

br
    Free Member

Motorway bike meh, anything sterile, BMW maybe.

Nah, get something with character instead – this did 20k last year commuting.

davosaurusrex

KTM SMT. Not the best looking KTM but ticks all the boxes and supposed to be a riot to ride.

Anyone want to buy a k4 gsxr1000 with 12.5k on it for 3 grand?

gixer.john
    Free Member

Speed Triple’s are great for general riding – hooning around, weekend blasts, surprisingly good loaded up for trips to pyrenees / pico’s etc. But they are gash above about 80/90 on sustained commutes or longer journeys. Too much windblast, even with the flyscreen fitted.

My mate has a Speed Triple, Daytona 675, Buell xb9r, Rocket and a Multi Strada. He now rates the Multi Strada as the best all rounder he has ever had. 142bhp twin engine can shift across country, put panniers on it for touring, can commute along the M6 through Brum, comfy for his Mrs on the pillion. I was going to buy one, but i was too wee and couldn’t reach the bloody side stand. He is 5’11 ish and is on his tiptoes. Definatley try and get a test ride on one of these.

You could also try one of the K13 BMW’s, i have the K1300s. Bags of power and torque, fast enough to keep up with most sportsbikes on normal roads, comfy for the motorway riding with the extras like heated grips, ESA, traction control, quickshifter etc. Much better riding position than a Blade, R1 etc. The only problem is trying to be resist playing with 175BHP when you see other bikes passing 😉
    The K13r is basicly the same bike without the fairing, so the higher speeds may be more apparent and would slow you down a bit.

onewheelgood

Surely it has to be one of these?

My mate went from a Blackbird to a Griso and he just loves it.

flange
    Free Member

I had a test ride on a Griso (the other half has a V7) and the engine light came on half way through the test ride, the forks started weeping and the paint was flaking off the wheels. They are indeed lovely, but man alive they’re poorly built.

I can appreciate what folk are saying about having two bikes, but I already have three cars to insure plus the bike and it all starts getting a bit expensive when you have another vehicle to tax/insure. At a push, I’d stop using it for the commuting bit and just keep it for sunny Sundays and track days. Basically I just want to see if I can rekindle my enjoyment for riding motorbikes before I sell up completely and stop.

Think a big naked twin (ahem) might be the way forward. Although the V4 Tuono looks VERY tempting..

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have the first Generation Tuono twin and love it. Having said that I have had it 8 years now and am tempted into changing it.
    Found a second Generation Tuono Factory version with all the bells and whistles Ohlins suspension, Arrow cans etc etc) on it a couple of weeks ago and am definitely tempted-sort of hope its been sold to take the temptation away.
    Have demoed a V4 Tuono and it is awesome and I would buy one in a second if I could afford it.
    It was the APRC version with wheelie control, quickshiffter etc and the hour that I had it flashed by. The quickshifter is a hoot and I was actually laughing out loud as I was passing cars without throttling off.
    I know 2 people who also demoed one and then bought.
    Also tempted by KTM RC8 cos they can be picked up for about £7500 for a “new” 09 model. I think they look fantastic but not everyones cup of tea.
    Cheers
    Steve

nickf
    Free Member

Honda SP-2

A genuinely great bike, which combines all the fun of V-twin with the reliability of a Honda. Hugely charismatic as well, and sounded like thunder. All in all, the bike I most miss.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Nakeds are great. I have two: 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new motorbike’ is closed to new replies.