Home Forums Chat Forum Job Application Ettiquette – First Person or Third Person?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Job Application Ettiquette – First Person or Third Person?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

I'm currently filling in a job application form and there is the obligatory personal statement section. Now, this one asks you to "state why you think you are suitable for this job".

What is the perceived correct way to phrase my statement? Should I write it in the first person or the third? Not really sure as to which is better as I always felt that writing in the third person is a little odd.

simon_g

For that I'd go with first person.

Sorry to hear about your redundancy :(

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

First. Third is odd, as you say.

cp

first surely!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that's pretty much what I thought but I didn't want to drop some sort of professional clanger by doing it the wrong way round. The whole third person thing seems to have crept in recently but I don't like it much.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Suppose it's luck of the draw what the guy reading it will make of it but 3rd would be a bit odd wouldn't it?

nickc

Used to work for a bloke that used to talk about himself in the third person, "Mr Gay (yes that really was his name) doesn't like that at all" sort of thing. Made for some uncomfortable meetings with suppliers and the like.

He was a pr*&K though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I hire and so read application forms, some much funnier than others.
    I have't ever received one written in thir party terms, and if I did it would proabably go to "take to the pub and show mates for a laugh" pile

First person, it's you who's after the job, not your invisible pal.

GrahamS

GrahamS is disappointed you'd even think about using third person.

It's a job application, not a status update on Facebook. :wink:

matthew_h
    Free Member

matthew_h has thought about this a little further and realised that the third party thing probably stems from CV that have been forwarded on by recruitment consultants.

He is happy that everyone has backed up what he was already thinking though

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

deadlydarcy recommends first person also but also thinks it's worth noting that you could always use Present Perfect e.g. I have….

But pick a tense and stick with it.

jon1973
    Free Member

Put all you strengths in the First person but your weaknesses in the third person.

E.g. I have good interpersonal skills but Jon lacks drive and motivation.

Olly
    Free Member

First person, unless your an "artist" (read: tool) then its third.

DrJ

My daughter had a maths tutor, an oriental gent, who referred to himself as Mr Hu. Caused no end of merriment at the dinner table after he'd left.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

DrJ – he wasn't a doctor by any chance?

DrJ

Hmm … yes, showed up to work in a phone box. Strange, that …

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

LOL @ jon1973. That's brilliant, I'll give that a go next time I apply for anything.

chewkw
    Free Member

Include a cover letter as well on top of the standard application form or even a CV.

Recently colleague advertised for a vacancy and half the applicants did not even bother to include a cover letter. Just CV and not even job reference number. Now I don't know about you but I think applying for a job with a cover letter simply does not cut it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Job Application Ettiquette – First Person or Third Person?’ is closed to new replies.