Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Jet skis – anyone got one?
  • convert

That’s the plan, use it for exploring, with a bit of adrenaline rush when its safe to do so. The kid likes his cliff jumping so will be able to find new spots for him ( lights blue touch paper and retires to safety 😉)

Then buy a bloomin rib then.

Thank me later.

mashr

Then buy a bloomin rib then

Yup, if it wasn’t on this thread I’d have thought that lost was all about buying a rib or similar

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ribs and their users are barely any better, although I suppose like the Ronnie’s sketch they do get to look down on someone so they’re happy.

dissonance

They generally sod out a bit further to sea though rather than just hanging around the beaches.
    Although having had a couple fairly close when in a kayak I would prefer for them to sod even further out.

convert

Ribs and their users are barely any better, although I suppose like the Ronnie’s sketch they do get to look down on someone so they’re happy.

I’d say ribs are waaaaay more varied in their use. I’ve spent enough time in one as a rescue boat, and a glorified taxi, and driving a photographer, and a swim support vessel, and delivering marines and well, loads of stuff to see them as an incredibly varied tool. Whilst jetskis are for uber rad surf support and bellends with precious little in between.

winston
    Free Member

It always amazes me when I see pictures of celebrities bobbing around on them when on their endless holidays. All that time and money and thats the best you can do? If you must be noisy at least learn to wakeboard or something

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s the plan, use it for exploring, with a bit of adrenaline rush when its safe to do so. The kid likes his cliff jumping so will be able to find new spots for him ( lights blue touch paper and retires to safety 😉)

There are loads of ways to explore the coast without pissing everyone else off.

bruk

Tried one years ago and whilst great fun the 2nd go was somewhat boring after you had got used to the go fast in a straight line part.

Rented a SurfJet next time and that was brilliant. Stand up powered surfboard. Needed lots more skill to turn and stay upright.

Surfjet

Apparently you can now buy an electric version.

revs1972
    Free Member

There are loads of ways to explore the coast without pissing everyone else off.

The point is to explore the bits where the grockles aren’t . Not planning on pissing anyone off.
    I’ve got a fast car but I don’t drive it 100mph everywhere I go , only where it’s appropriate to . 70 mph I meant 😉

convert

The point is to explore the bits where the grockles aren’t .

Someone on a jetski is the very definition of a grockle.

But still…get a rib.

tillydog
    Free Member

My favourite ever bit of schadenfreude involved a jet ski:

We were in a small sailing boat, heading out of Conwy harbour. There was a bit of a procession of boats, because the channel out of the harbout is tidal, so people tend to set off at similar times. There was a bloke on a stand-up c**t ski weaving in and out of the boats, throwing up waves by making sudden turns as close a possible to them, and trying to catch people with a silly littly piddly stream of water that the thing threw up behind it. Someone on another boat eventually told him to eff-off, so he did his best to soak them, laughed, and nailed the throttle towards the horizon…

…and the sand banks.

He didn’t spot that the seagulls on the water he was heading towards were standing up, but we did.

The jet ski slid onto the sandbank and ground to a halt. It threw up a huge plume of very sandy water as it did so, and the howling chainsaw engine noise turned into a wonderful strangled gargle before the engine died. He went cartwheeling over the front, but appeared to be un-injured: He was last seen standing in ankle-deep water, tugging at the handlebars of his ski, trying to get it unstuck from the rather muddy sandbank.

Oh how we laughed – as did everyone else.

I’ve had a few goes on one of the stand-up ones, but as above, the novelty wears off quickly. I now consider them hateful things – they are an absolute menace on Black Rock sands – buzzing kids paddling in the sea, and even if they are kept off shore, the noise they make carries for miles.

Nick

I used to have a speedboat for waterskiing and wakeboarding in the sea 20 years ago, used to launch it from Black Rock Sands near Porthmadog. We’d always head out about half a mile and then have a play, everyone else seemed to be on some kind of elastic that kept them within 100m of the shore, it was a bit of a nightmare sometimes coming back because of all the dickheads from Brum razzing about (Abersoch is the same but they are all from Liverpool).

IdleJon

Surfing down at Llangennith a few years ago, and I watched as a boy spent a while launching his jetski from the seaward side of waves, landing on the beach-side downslope as it were. In doing this he wasn’t able to see any surfers paddling out, swimmers, etc. After a while, he misjudged it, cartwheeled over the front and obviously hurt himself, but drove to shore and the safety of his dad.

poly
    Free Member

“the police turned up. Said there was nothing they can really do.”

In Scotland a switched on cop would realise that jetski + swimmers = dangerous and (at least threaten to) lift them for Reckless Endangerment. I don’t think the same offence exists in E&W (it translates roughly to “being a dick in a way that puts others at risk”). Given the type of people who like to Jetski in populated areas, I’d have thought there’s a good chance a thorough vehicle check would find some irregularity with the tow vehicle, paperwork or trailer too… perhaps the sort of petty thing that anyone else would be advised about but the attitude test would mean becomes a bigger issue. Do cops not learn the “ways and means act” any more?

I’ve got to say I’ve actually had very few bad experiences with Jet Skis/PWCs – because I generally avoid areas where they are likely to be: crowded beaches etc are my idea of hell!

paino

Years ago a wee jetski prick in an anchorage was deliberately soaking the yachts moored there, whether people were on board or not. On his third pass my dad shot him with a marine flare right in the coupon. Can’t condone his reaction, but it got a cheer from the other yachts and the prick never came back.

convert

paino – Is your dad in fine fettle? If so, I might well have a spot for him in my militia (come the revolution and me becoming overlord yadda yadda).

martymac

This guy doesn’t seem antisocial.
    I used to work for a guy that had one, he was, frankly, an antisocial twunt.
    Everything he did was done with regard to his fun only, **** the planet, **** anyone else.
    He did go on, at length, about how much fun it was, but I’ll be honest, it didn’t appeal to me.
    That adam sword guy linked above, what he does looks like fun though.

freeagent
    Free Member

W*nker round the corner to me has 2 x Jet Skis.
    His favourite pass time when not out riding the Jet Skis appears to be revving them on his driveway for hours on end – usually on a quiet Sunday afternoon.
    I wouldn’t mind but the engines sound like sh*t – he needs to find a decent mechanic.

mert
    Free Member

A colleague of mine has one.

Gets used a lot up and down the coast and out of the archipelago, mostly for overnight island/coastal hopping camping trips and fishing from various rocky outcrops 15 km from the shore.

I doubt he even knows how far the throttle rotates.

poolman
    Free Member

We were out kayaking and snorkelling on Sunday in the coves around Javea, the only noise was the jetskis buzzing past. To be fair the riders weren’t too bad, even at cruising speed the noise travels.

There are clearly marked swimming zones to keep boats and jetskis away, plus buoys so no anchoring allowed.

I just looked up the prices and decent jetskis are 15-20k, looks like fun for 30 mins tops.

bfw

revs1972

Buy a used standup one and restore it, much better 🙂

Mowgli
    Free Member

Not planning on pissing anyone off

So you’re not planning to ever use it within say 2 or 3 miles of any other people? It takes a particularly self centered kind of **** to see any appeal in these idiotic machines. Ban the lot and shoot the owners.

poly
    Free Member

So you’re not planning to ever use it within say 2 or 3 miles of any other people? It takes a particularly self centered kind of **** to see any appeal in these idiotic machines. Ban the lot and shoot the owners.

Whilst you think your argument is justified – consider for a moment that this is exactly the sort of vitreol presented by Daily Mail readers in the comments section when cyclists hold up their trip to the shops. It is really not a particularly sensible argument that because you don’t see the appeal in them that they should be banned and the owners shot.

VanHalen

i quite enjoyed my time on one. its a proper work out. good when its a bit wavey as you can jump them etc quite a challenge and a proper workout. only time i`ve ever bounced on water is when i fell off one at full speed. wife hates them as she is a sea swimmer.

i dont understand why people ride them near swimmers though as you need space to get up to speed to have fun. just riding one around on the flat will be about as exciting as an XC ride in norfolk.

its like all motorised things – they are fun in the right places but you get loads of nobbers driving them.

Nick

This guy doesn’t seem antisocial.

He says “she’s having her best life” a lot though

julians
    Free Member

That statement wouldn’t look out of place on a rambling website in a thread complaining about mountain bikers.

mrchrist

So everyone thinks people on jets skis buzzing swimmers and making loads of noise are c****s.

Funny that.

revs1972
    Free Member

Wow, who pissed on your chips… ?
    Did you win bully’s special prize of a speedboat whilst living in the midlands ?

It’s quite easy not to be a **** . Perhaps you should get a few lessons yourself 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.