Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Jet skis – anyone got one?
  • mrchrist

Was at Scarborough North beach yesterday and there seemed to be a one out one in policy.

One lovely chap was buzzing the kids and surfers, weaving in and out then bazzing back out to sea. Life guard were getting complaints all day and the police turned up. Said there was nothing they can really do.

Anyone on here got one and shed any light on why they race up and down along the shore right next to swimmers etc?

soundninjauk

I don’t want to be accused of over-reacting but I think the Royal Navy should be taken off whatever anti-immigration nonsense the Home Office has them on, and deployed to sink jet skis behaving as you describe.

mrchrist

Hahahaha

zilog6128

A guy I know runs a jet-ski sales/servicing place. He loves the job, tinkering with the engines and whatnot – the only problem is (in his exact words)
    “95% of my customers are complete ****” 🤣

johnx2
    Free Member

I have. They’re loads of fun and people love to see me razzing about.

Not really. Issue lifeguards with bazookas and call me a moderate. There used to be a couple of fat twits, forgive my body shaming, who’d do this at saltburn and were universally reviled. Not seem them for years now I think of it, though I don’t surf there that often these days.

It just looks so boring as well.

RustyNissanPrairie

You know the anti social MXers and Surron **** tearing up footpaths etc – it’s the water equivalent of them

fossy

My neighbour used to have a ‘big’ one – used to spend quite a while hosing the intakes out on return. Main issue was finding somewhere you could legally use them, certainly in the North West.

As mentioned, they should be no-where near swimmers etc, and follow the bouys into the launch areas.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Was at a beach in North wales last year, seemed to be a bit of a haven for the damned things. Not exactly peaceful. Hopefully the cost of fuel will put them off (not holding breath)
    See also Snomobilers and mx riders..

onewheelgood

I rented one for half an hour once. It was incredibly boring after the first five minutes. No skill required, no challenge in it at all.

bfw

remember the stand up ones? I had a go a few years back in a rental place near Swindon, and after 20 years I could still stand straight up on the thing. stand up ones were much harder and would kill off the fat knackers if they had to do this :-)))

There is something about them for sure that attracts a lot of odd people

convert

I’m not big on guns. If and when I become overlord there would be a gun ban APART from anyone with a jetski sniper rifle licence. That would be the only gun sport/target shooting allowed. It would seem a reasonable and balanced compromise – if you own a jet ski get quite literally in the sea and then get to **** far enough out to sea that you are out of range. If you dare to come back into range and ‘play’ with the swimmers and other sane, quiet water users expect to get slotted by my massively frustrated militia of bloodthirsty twunts.

Stupid stupid things. I can imagine they are interesting for the first 30mins or so and then when you’ve pretty much mastered everything there is to master all that’s left to do is do more of that and annoy other people. You get the same sense of speed after learning to windsurf/kitesurf etc but it takes years of building up technique to get there. That’s where the sense of achievement comes from. Jetskis just seem to be for the knuckle draggers without either the skills or the patience.

And then there is the noise. Even one being used safely is **** annoying to listen to even a mile or two away. Hundreds of other beach and water users having their peace shattered by some fat skill void lump.

And breath.

julians
    Free Member

Anyone on here got one and shed any light on why they race up and down along the shore right next to swimmers etc?

Haven’t got one, but have seen loads driven in an annoying way. The only reason I can think of for being in amongst the surfers is to jump the breaking surf, but they should be doing that well away from swimmers obviously.

A lot of beaches have a designated swimming area cordoned off with a rope with floats to stop jetskis and boats getting mixed in with swimmers.

I don’t think they’re all driven annoyingly,the problem is that the ones not driven annoyingly will be miles away from anyone so never seen,leaving just the annoying ones .

As far as I know there is no legal requirement for any training to operate any kind of pleasure boat (Inc jet skis) up to a certain size (24m?) in the UK,so no surprise that there are some idiots driving them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Harbour master chased me out from the harbour on my paddleboard yesterday after I launched from the slip.

The three yobs on the jetskis causing havoc for all other users didn’t get any hassle at all.both on the water and with their complete lack of ability to reverse a trailer.

Harbour master obviously can’t see the dangers in his harbour for his own skewed prejudices …

Greybeard
    Free Member

…the police turned up. Said there was nothing they can really do.

Sadly, that is still the case. There was a consultation last year about changing the law, but they are still “analysing the feedback”:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/strengthening-enforcement-of-the-dangerous-use-of-recreational-and-personal-watercraft

mrchrist

Thanks for the replies.

Answer seems to be because they are utter w@***s.

The comment about them being the equivalent to MXers razzing around on foot paths is spot on.

Surly the consultation must have have simar feedback.

piemonster

Well, enough of them are indeed w****ers and in such a high profile way as to eliminate any good will for those that are not.

That said, whenever theyre out here theyre usually being utter cocks with the usual close passes with boarders/swimmers. So maybe it is all of them.

piemonster

@trail_Rat

That wasnt Stonehaven by any chance?

piemonster

I don’t think they’re all driven annoyingly,the problem is that the ones not driven annoyingly will be miles away from anyone so never seen,leaving just the annoying ones .

Hmm, i have a fuzzy memory about something along these lines. Isnt there a limit as to how far a watercraft of that size can travel from shore?

Edit, if there is I dont think its relevant to Git Skis

Greybeard
    Free Member

Surely the consultation must have have similar feedback.

It certainly did from me. Unfortunately it was a horribly flawed consultation paper. It started with the clear objective of regulating jetskis, but by the end of the document it was proposing to regulate literally (and I do mean literally) anything that floats, powered or unpowered, unless it’s under 2.5m long. It read as if somebody senior had written the objective, given it to a student to write the details, and then published it without checking it. So even though there will have been a lot of support for regulation of jetskis they can probably say that the feedback to the consultation was mixed.

julians
    Free Member

Hmm, i have a fuzzy memory about something along these lines. Isnt there a limit as to how far a watercraft of that size can travel from shore?

No definitely not. You’re only limited by the fuel you can carry and your own sense of survival.

I’m in two minds about them on the one hand people moaning about them sound very similar to the red socks moaning about mountain bikers on bridleways, on the other hand I have seen them being driven by absolute pillocks causing huge conflict with swimmers.

I guess the difference is there is no reason for the jetskis to be in amongst the swimmers,they could be doing exactly the same thing a mile offshore,whereas mountain bikers don’t have anywhere other than bridleways to ride.

I wonder if the people that buy them without any prior boating experience are a bit scared of going round the coast to a quieter area with no swimmers etc,or haven’t had a look at a chart to see what’s round the corner.

funkmasterp

Plus mountain bikes don’t have engines and the majority of riders I know and see on trails don’t endanger others. I’ve never seen a jet ski being used sensibly or courteously.

singletrackmind

To try to reduce the number of jetskis being misused locally the harbour board introduced a higher launch fee.
    Then they added the stipulation tjat you had to have 3rd party insurance
    Then, as the numbers and actions still left alot to be desired they made you have RYA powerboat 2 or pwc cert.
    This seems to have had the desired effect and the numbers are down.
    They still ignore the ” no power craft” zone.
    They still breach the “no landing zone”, an area of about 1 mile where everyone swims, kites, sups, windsurfs etc.
    The council toom away the beach patrol who could actually do something.
    They still speed in the harbour, seem to aim at swimmers.
    And go about 250mtrs, turn rpund, go back 250mtrs, turn round and repeat.
    As if all the female part of the beach will whip off their bikini tops and run out to sea screaming ” take me know, you jet ski stud” at their amazing abilty to use a twist grip accelerator

trail_rat
    Free Member

That wasnt Stonehaven by any chance?

Yeah it was.

Wouldn’t be so bad if access to botany bay wasn’t made terrible due to all the works going on to the harbour.

revs1972
    Free Member

Damn, tuned in to see if this was a post about recommendations for decent Jet Skis 😉

Been looking into it and plan to get one when the eldest turns 16. Will both be doing the RYI course ( which appears to be a requirement to obtain insurance etc)
    May even stretch the budget to one of the new fangled electric ones just to annoy the luddites even more 😀

convert

Been looking into it and plan to get one when the eldest turns 16.

Damn, sorry to hear he was born with learning difficulties. Well done you though for finding him something he can do as well as everyone else 😉

p.s. It’s RYA – not been around boats much maybe?

mrchrist

An electric one would reduce the w****er rating a bit actually.

They seem to love revving them as then come in to shore and when they are on their trailer on the prom.

At one point I could taste petrol.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no idea what the attraction is. I mean motorbikes go on trails or roads which go up, down and side to side. Jet skis just go zip on way then zip the other way. I can’t imagine how it would hold any attraction after the first go.

julians
    Free Member

They seem to love revving them as then come in to shore

Need to use a fair few revs to push the ski onto the trailer.plus they don’t turn unless under power.

and when they are on their trailer on the prom.

Flushing the engine through with fresh water, to get rid of the salt water. The engine needs to run for a bit with the fresh water supply connected. If its not done various engine bits will corrode over time.

julians
    Free Member

I have no idea what the attraction is. I mean motorbikes go on trails or roads which go up, down and side to side. Jet skis just go zip on way then zip the other way. I can’t imagine how it would hold any attraction after the first go.

I don’t know what the attraction is when all they do is zip up and down the same beach 100 times,but like I mentioned up there you don’t have to do this,you can use them to go places, but I don’t know why most users don’t do this, I presume it’s because they’re a bit lacking in confidence to go a few miles round the coast and explore.if I had one I’d use it to go places and explore.

convert

I mentioned up there you don’t have to do this,you can use them to go places, but I don’t know why most users don’t do this,

I’d say its because if you are into noisy ways to travel around on water and go places, you’d have bought a rib.

To me fair there is a photographer I watch the odd youtube video of in Canada. He has a big old jetski and uses it to go places on the lakes and it looks a bit more fun than what the twunts you see on theme here in the UK do. But I’d still buy a rib instead.

mashr

I’d say its because if you are into noisy ways to travel around on water and go places, you’d have bought a rib.

Something you don’t get soaked using, can tie up or anchor wherever you want? Madness

julians
    Free Member

But I’d still buy a rib instead.

I think that’s the issue, they don’t do anything better than a rib/small boat, except go faster in very flat conditions.and I guess they take up less space 9m the drive or in storage

They’re no cheaper to buy, not significantly cheaper to run or maintain (arguably jetskis cost more to maintain than a rib with outboard), they have less space on board, and can’t handle the chop as well as a rib.

A rib is a better all round bet for travelling between places.

shermer75
    Free Member

My neighbour used to have a ‘big’ one – used to spend quite a while hosing the intakes out 

Flushing out the frozen sausages?

mikertroid
    Free Member

They are useful for water rescue/safety, but sadly the rest get used by utter knobs.

Near me, they buzz surfers, seals, paddle boarders, ignore the 5 knot speed limit for nesting birds and make such an irritating drone next to the most beautiful spots.

I’ve used them and honestly, within 30 seconds you’re at a pro level; they’re so unbelievably boring.

They attract a certain type, don’t they…? 😖

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I used one to visit my girlfriend on the Isle Of Man once. Only time the rozzers ever took an interest in my activities. ☹️

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Edit: Double Post

bearnecessities

I once hired a jet ski in Kefalonia, about 20 years ago now.

It was amazing. 20 minutes of absolutely ridiculous fun flying back and forth and, as my confidence built, diving down and up out of the water like a dolphin.

When my 20 minutes was up I asked for another go as I was absolutely buzzing..I was advised not, but I ignored their advice.

I’ll cut to the chase. A few minutes later I inevitably fell off, and my arms were so battered from wrestling this thing I was actually unable to get back onto it.

So yes, I was floating like a limp cock in the Med and had to be rescued by the hire people and dragged back onto the jetski by my swimmers – in front of my girlfriend who was watching from the shore – and towed back to safety.

And that’s my story about jetskis.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I used one to visit my girlfriend on the Isle Of Man once. Only time the rozzers ever took an interest in my activities. ☹️

Reminds me of a time when a mate rescued a jetskier who, whilst attempting to cross the Irish Sea, ran out of fuel…🙄

Said Jetskier tried to bill them for the loss of the jetski as they only winched him on the Sea King and left the ski behind… the boss acknowledged the cost of the ski and said he’d deduct the £3k, or whatever it was, off the £50k he was going to charge for the cost of the rescue. They didn’t get a reply after that…

The big problem is they’re so easy to use (hence the boredom issue). Folk buy one and don’t have any seamanship to safely and responsibly use them. Something that is also happening in paddleboarding, sadly, but with different outcomes requiring rescue.

convert

I used one to visit my girlfriend on the Isle Of Man once. Only time the rozzers ever took an interest in my activities

The lad that did that had a some bollox……
    that needed emptying pretty badly to take that on!

revs1972
    Free Member

Damn, sorry to hear he was born with learning difficulties. Well done you though for finding him something he can do as well as everyone else 😉

p.s. It’s RYA – not been around boats much maybe?

Thanks for the correction, I knew what I meant, just used the wrong letter 😎
    Oh and it’s the youngest who has learning difficulties , but luckily I’m not offended by idiotic comments 🙄

I don’t know what the attraction is when all they do is zip up and down the same beach 100 times,but like I mentioned up there you don’t have to do this,you can use them to go places, but I don’t know why most users don’t do this, I presume it’s because they’re a bit lacking in confidence to go a few miles round the coast and explore.if I had one I’d use it to go places and explore

That’s the plan, use it for exploring, with a bit of adrenaline rush when its safe to do so. The kid likes his cliff jumping so will be able to find new spots for him ( lights blue touch paper and retires to safety 😉)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.