Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • It’s Liver for supper this evening…
  • slowoldman

I used to think liver was at the bottom of the food chain until someone tried to introduce me to tripe.

Now there is one thing I didn’t get at home – due largely to it’s place in my father’s upbringing.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

One of my favourites! Has to be liver, onions, bacon, thick gravy and mash….glass of red.

colp

That mash would have like half a tub of butter in too.

ransos
    Free Member

Dust in seasoned flour, flash fry, and serve with bacon, mash and onion gravy. Food of the gods.

rene59
    Free Member

Breakfast, lunch, dinner/supper

Looking around at some of my colleagues it’s more like 1st Breakfast, 2nd Breakfast, Something to tide you over until lunchtime, Lunch, Something on the way home to last you ’till dinner, Dinner, Supper.

slowoldman

My dad used to say “I just need 4 square meals a day and a bit of supper”.

binners

In the interests of research, and in an attempt to banish the horrorble memory of eating vile liver/shoe leather concoctions as a kid, I’m going to try liver again. This evening I’ll be cooking the liver, bacon and onion gravy, Hairy Bikers recipe Rocketman linked to

Will I die?

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s a taste sensation 🙂

johnx2
    Free Member

Lamb’s liver – food of the gods, fried dry with onions and some thyme. Not overcooked, eaten hot reminds me of old town Thesoloniki, eaten cold as a meze with beer takes me right back to the Olympiad bar in Kadikoy, Istanbul.

Pig’s liver – okay I guess, as long as I keep the phrase ‘pig’s liver’ out of my head whilst eating. They taste pretty similar tbf.

scaredypants

it’s “luncheon”, not “lunch”, you peasants

perhaps it’d help to think of it as a contraction of “love truncheon”, which of course would make a more enticing meal than **** liver

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Dried salted liver mmmmmm ! A cultured man’s biltong.

slowoldman

scaredypants I’m not dredging my love truncheon in flour and frying it with onions for anyone.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

just to update – it was f kin delish !

colp

Don’t forget some chunky bread and butter to mop the plate afterwards

Esme
    Free Member

binners
    This evening I’ll be cooking the liver, bacon and onion gravy

Well? Did you enjoy it?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with it tbh, bit rich for me but would be the last to criticise since I also eat haggis.

Tripe is just the food of sheer desperation.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper.

Tea time is mid morning and mid afternoon, and is for hot beverages.

Seared liver, nice n pink in the middle, with chips and bone marrow gravy. Ooft.

colp

We haven’t covered “afters” yet, which are clearly after tea/dinner.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never heard of it. Is it leftovers, or pudding?

binners

Well…. I’m still alive!

And that wasn’t bad! Quite enjoyed it. It’s my first time cooking it though, so I played safe and I reckon I overcooked it a bit. It was cooked through, but not pink.

Next time I’ll go a bit easier on the flash frying. But I’ll definitely do it again. It’s banished my demons of eating liver 😀

Should I look at it the same way as cooking steak? Get the pan hotter than the surface of the sun, then give it less time than you think you should?

binners

I’d just like to add that the liver and onions was for my tea earlier. Now I’m going to have ‘supper’.

Cheese, obviously. 😀

colp

Never heard of it. Is it leftovers, or pudding?

As in, “Mum, what’s for afters?”

Darn sarf I believe they call it dessert?

senorj

Bawk.
    My grandmother used to fry herself a liver as a superspecial treat and make that Hannibal Lecter sound whilst devouring it. I think she may have been a witch!

Scapegoat

That hairy bikers recipe is awesome…. We had it last week. I’m not normally a fan of liver, but Mrs Scape is, and every so often I’ll put up with it. That’s changed my mind completely.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘It’s Liver for supper this evening…’ is closed to new replies.