Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 874 total)
  • Is it racist…
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Good point Graham. 😀

So the racist version MAY be used at one quater of the rate in more modern published texts.

funkmasterp

It wasn’t just Graham smiling 🙂

GrahamS

Although…

Yup fair enough, case may not be a great determinator, but it does offer some clues. Both graphs cast a fair bit of doubt on your assertion that growth of the word correlates with Western/Chinese conflicts.

The first derogatory use of “Chink” recorded in the OED entry is 1901, which correlates with the emergence of the capitalised version pretty well. At that time the non-capitalised version was still as widely used as ever, possibly at its peak.

aracer
    Free Member

Gosh, no.

That happened ages ago 😉

Cougar

Graham, FYI, I’ve edited your post to include links to the full-sized images, they’re a bit hard to read when shrunk to fit the page.

GrahamS

Ah cheers Cougar, very helpful.

I meant to give links to the Google-ngrams source, but I completely forgot myself in the excitement of scoring a point 😉

Leku
    Free Member

So to recap.

If referring to a badly made suit of armour – not offensive.
    If referring to local take-away – yes offensive.

Generally I assume if Nigel Farage thinks it’s ok, it isn’t.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The google thing is really quite cool, check out the spike for the lower case n word leading up to the abolishment of slavery in 1865. The drop during the war when black people were seen to be doing their part during the war and people forgot they hated them – and then the spike during the 1960s civil rights era.

The trend only really levels out for a bit after that era though…

poah
    Free Member

I’m having Turk and iti for dinner tonight

GrahamS

Pretty much Leku, though you missed “Chinese guy referring to his own families take-away” which was a little thornier. 😀

Anyways, I’m spent.

So I’ll leave you with a nicely non-contentious use of the word (even if you choose to misinterpret the meaning) from Jonathan Swift’s translation of one of Martial’s famous Epigrams:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m cooking a curry. Loads of ginger, garlic and chicken in a madras.

This is totally irrelevant to the thread, but I feel it’s a lot more constructive than a lot of the previous posts.

Drac

Oooh I love Asian food.

Drac

The pink panther?

Solo
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Does anybody understand what Tom is attempting to prove here?

As far as I can see, it’s that forum member appears to approach topics such as this, with their owns prejudices. Go figure.

Cougar – Moderator
    You posted that at almost exactly 2:30, known in playgrounds across the land as “Chinese Dentist Time.” You racist.

LMAO! I have been, because my tooth was hurting.

Remove temporary dressing from a month ago and rebuild cusp on LR7.
    £110 lighter and still numb.

22 pages

25 pages.

funkmasterp

Curse you all! Grahams’s last post was a perfect end to this torid affair.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I’m cooking a curry. Loads of ginger, garlic and chicken in a madras.
    This is totally irrelevant to the thread, but I feel it’s a lot more constructive than a lot of the previous posts.”

An Indy?

tjagain

* pulls pin and runs away*
    Here is a little thought in case this thread was running out of steam
    West Indies. Anglo imperialist construct. Whats it west from or in relation to? Europe. Mrs TJ was told at a piece of equality training that this is a racist term. Unfortunately the cricket team are the west Indies cricket team controlled by the West Indies Cricket board.

~So to refer to the Caribbean islands ( fortunately there is an alternative term that is not too clumsy) as the west indies would be racist to some but to refer to the cricket team as the west indians would seem to be OK?

discuss
    * ducks and covers*

Drac

http://www.uwi.edu/index.asp

Whoever took her course was wrong.

Whats it west from or in relation to?

Florida.

outofbreath
    Free Member

In a similar vein, I’ve been dying to ask the groups opinion on the term “porridge wog”. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

West Indies. Anglo imperialist construct. Whats it west from or in relation to? Europe. Mrs TJ was told at a piece of equality training that this is a racist term

Is her name Clare? Does she work in the community?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Whats it west from or in relation to? Europe.

India I thought, not Europe. Apparently Christopher Columbus was a little confused with regards to where he had arrived.

Drac

India I thought, not Europe. Apparently Christopher Columbus was a little confused with regards to where he had arrived.

Isn’t that a misconception?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So why are native Americans often refereed to as “Indians” ?

EDIT : I have no idea whether it’s a misconception btw, I just assumed that was the reason for “West Indies” (there is also East Indies) West Indians, Indian tribes, etc.

funkmasterp

Porridge wog? Too lazy to google, but it sounds adorable. Like something from an old timey kids book. A misguided breakfast goblin or some such. It’s something really bad isn’t it?

Drac

So why are native Americans often refereed to as “Indians” ?

I’d have to google as I’m struggling to remember other than it was to identify they weren’t the East Indies and not because Columbus thought he was somewhere else.

tjagain

Porridge wog is a pejorative term for scots

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And wog is an extremely offensive term, but you knew that.

tjagain

Ernie – I would tend to agree. they were looking for a route to the spice islands ( the east indies) by going west rather than east and found the carribean islands – thats my understanding so they thought they had found the westernmost part of india and its associated islands. they knew the world was round at that point but thought it rather smaller than it is

CFH – very good sir!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Neal

I get your point

but Jap goes positive off the scale during the war – so words do seem to correlate pretty well with the political leanings and events of the time.

EDIT: Rink-a-Dink is cockney rhyming slang for chink isn’t it. So what’s your point again?

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal

I get your point

but Jap goes positive off the scale during the war – so words do seem to correlate pretty well with the political leanings and events of the time.

EDIT: Rink-a-Dink is cockney rhyming slang for chink isn’t it. So what’s your point again?

I’m from leeds so not up on Cockney rhyming slang I’m afraid. So I googled it:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fterm%3DRink-a-dink%26amp%3Dtrue

Actually I was just pissing about with the google thing, and put in some words that rhymed.

So I wasn’t actually making a point, everyone else seemed to realise that, but I’m sure if anyone can, you can turn it into an argument.

Go on, have a try, I’m sure your up to it. 🙄

Drac

EDIT : I have no idea whether it’s a misconception btw, I just assumed that was the reason for “West Indies” (there is also East Indies) West Indians, Indian trib

I thought I’d read it was bollocks but can’t actually find any evidence to support that, looks like I was mistaken. 😳

scotroutes

Anyway it’s spelt P O R A G E!

tjagain

Not if you are posh English scotroutes. I like my porridge I do! 😉

funkmasterp

And wog is an extremely offensive term, but you knew that.

Depends where you live.

Guardian Article

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh,**** off.

You know, just because you can use the word
    It doesn’t mean you should.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Anyway it’s spelt P O R A G E!”

Oh happy day. Not only do I now have a term to offend Scottish people but I also learn that if I emphasise the D I can twist the knife.

Now I’m off to research pissing off Cornish people.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 874 total)

The topic ‘Is it racist…’ is closed to new replies.