Home Forums Bike Forum Is anyone driving a Fordbidden Druid V2?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Is anyone driving a Fordbidden Druid V2?
  • sharkattack

These things have been keeping me awake at night for a while. I’ve ended up with 2 quite similar bikes and I’d like to switch one of the frames out for something which I’ve never had. A carbon, lightish, short travel trail bike. But one that can still haul ass in the chunky bits.

Then this review came out today…https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-forbidden-druid-travel-is-just-a-number.html

Pretty much reaffirming everything I was already imagining. Someone talk me about of it because I can’t really afford one right now!

honourablegeorge

Yeah, liked the sound of it too, but they’re super expensive, a thousand more than other stupidly expensive frames

sharkattack

They are stupidly expensive. The frame is comfortably more than most full bikes I’ve had. I keep checking for used ones but I haven’t seen any yet.

a11y

A carbon, lightish, short travel trail bike. But one that can still haul ass in the chunky bits.

Deviate Highlander with the 140mm linkage might fit that description, although 10mm more rear than the Druid V2. Fraction of the price though if you wanted a barely ridden XL frame…

goby

My mate has the V1, and i admit i ride hard-tail only but he let me have a ride on it down the local tracks and woohoo its like a magic carpet ride! Seriously fun and off the back of that another mate has now also bought one too. Not a V2 but i can only assume its tweaked and even more fun! Not what you want to here eh

core

I want to know when 150mm became short travel?

chakaping

So it’s a 130nmm bike which rides like a 150mm bike, and weighs the same as well.

I mean, you could just buy a 150mm bike for half the price, eh?

honourablegeorge

The frame is 130mm, just takes a bigger fork.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Someone in the Pinkbike comments said their friend had their 1st frame and it’s replacement both crack within 2 months. Probably not riding it like a 130mm bike though.

joebristol

It’s a funny one this – I was looking at the v1 and the v2 is meant to ride better (still high pivot but is really an upside down 4 bar – rather than a true single pivot).

Cost for the v1 frame only looked acceptable when I was looking (it was on sale) but there are downsides to the setup – longer chain with idler can get very noisy in mediocre conditions and the v1 had a habit of catching stones between the swingarm and the frame. The v2 still has the idler – although I think it’s better designed than the v1. Have a look on Pinkbike – there’s a long thread about them.

Personally I went for a carbon Sentinel instead – it had less downsides and had a better reach vs seat tube length ratio for me. Love the thing.

gkeeffe

I have a V1. I absolutely love it. Amazing traction uphill and almost bottomless travel down.  The only disadvantage is the chain routing. You can hear the chain as soon as you’ve been through a puddle.  I replaced the bottom chain device with the cascade components device which has no pulley which has improved things.  You need to oil the chain every ride!   Finally as a whole bike It’s also not particularly light.   My mate has a V2 and previously a V1 he says the differences are that v2 doesn’t feel so bottomless but sits higher in its travel and uses the travel better. The V1 relies on a late ramp up on the travel and wallows a bit in mid travel.

fenboy

If its any help I rode one round the carpark at Biketrek in Keswick yesterday, managers new ride as I’m considering a new frame. It was very very nice and super bling. Also showed me the mechanics lilac one which looked great in the flesh, like the one reviewed in pinkbike. He said 8 of them at Biketreks were riding them and loved them but that will be at trade prices. Not something I’d considered until that moment! it ticks a lot of boxes for your description OP but expensive!

sharkattack

Biketreks in Keswick is the first place I saw a Druid V2 in the flesh back in February. A couple of the staff were raving about them, saying they’d bought them. I was planning to take out one of their demo bikes but we haven’t been back to the Lakes since.

He said 8 of them at Biketreks were riding them and loved them but that will be at trade prices.

Trade prices are the only reason that I’ve had most of the bikes I’ve had. I don’t have access to them these days though so if I want a properly nice bike I’ll have to just suck it up one day. It helps that components are never, ever full price and on this occasion I’ve got a full bike to frame swap anyway. I think I’d only need a dropper.

alpin
    Free Member

Driving? Are you German?

dartdude
    Free Member

Just buy a complete GT FORCE idler carbon bike and have like £800 cash saved on top

No brainer

sweaman2
    Free Member

chakaping +1

I had a driud v1 and thought long and hard about upgrading to a v2 but for me I decided to get a Hightower instead.  The extra weight and complexity of things like the idler do make a difference in my opinion.  On the right terrain it’s an absolutely fantastic descender (fast, rough basically) but for me the pro’s didn’t outweigh the complexity.

bikesandboots

I replaced the bottom chain device with the cascade components device which has no pulley which has improved things.

I see V2 comes without a lower guide, and found this explanation https://nsmb.com/articles/our-obsession-with-drag/

one of the key visual differences between V2 and V1 is the way the upper chain pulley has been moved rearward. This increases chain contact with the narrow-wide chainring, allowing Forbidden to sell the second generation bike without a lower chain guide pulley, or jockey wheel.

tall_martin

If you are not set on an idler….

https://www.nicolai-bicycles.com/saturn-16-limited-edition-en

€6000 and a return plane ticket to Germany is where my cash would be going

sharkattack

I still haven’t bought a Druid.

I have found one though. In stock, in black, in my size. Considerably reduced from RRP. Now I need to pull the trigger or admit that I’ve been an awful timewaster.

I keep looking at HB.916’s and Claymores but I’m conciously trying not to overbike myself. I want something light and nimble that will be fun on local trails and pedally days out (I’m not going crazy though. No XC bikes!) I’ll get something else for bikeparks and uplifts.

I’d consider a Hightower or something but the only ones in stock are still full price which is over £800 more than I can get the Druid for.

I’m confused. I might just swerve and buy an e-bike.

honourablegeorge

Considered a Highlander? Less bike than the claymore, and V1  and older V2s both hdiscounted

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I have a V2. 3 rides in and I’m loving it. Which is handy as it would have been a costly mistake otherwise. I also had the V1 too. Plus had a lengthy dabble with a Highlander.

I must admit I much prefer the V2. The fit and feel is different and for me improved over the V1. I found the latter too compact from a geo perspective (size L). Currently own the S3 V2 in 29 flavour.

It’s spritely and nimble, rides light (even though the build weighs the same as the previous 160/150 bike Canyon Spectral 29), carries speed well, feels planted and importantly feels balanced. It has trail bike feel with a little more travel up front.

There are downsides. Tyre clearance isn’t great with the 29er version. It’s OK but definitely something to keep an eye on. Yes, regardless of improvements and efficiencies, there’s an extra cog. Although so far this has been inobtrusive. I’ve noticed the frame protection near the idler has been rubbed in a short space of time when running the lowest gear.

But so far the pros outweigh the cons.

sharkattack

I have considered a Highlander and they both get excellent reviews.  For some reason though, having not ridden either of them I’m just more drawn to the Druid. The V2 in particular looks lovely, especially in the sparkly black.

Pinkbike reviews indicate that it will weigh in around 3kg lighter than my current ‘trail’ bike so that will be a nice bonus.

I plan to use it only as a 29er with probably 2.4 tyres.

honourablegeorge

sharkattack

Pinkbike reviews indicate that it will weigh in around 3kg lighter than my current ‘trail’ bike so that will be a nice bonus.

*raises eyebrow*

Can’t imagine the frame is saving you 3 kg….

sharkattack

Current trail bike is a Privateer 141 with a coil shock and clocks in around 17.5kg. Recent Druid V2 on Pinkbike is 14.6.

honourablegeorge

right but not really liek for like, if you put similar bits on the Druid it would be much closer.

a11y

Current trail bike is a Privateer 141 with a coil shock and clocks in around 17.5kg. Recent Druid V2 on Pinkbike is 14.6.

Seing quoted weights makes me think my scales are shonky AF as my bikes always seem to be on the heavy side, e.g. G16 with coil and Zebs at 16.7kg. But hearing your Privateer weight makes me think again!

You absolutely sure you don’t fancy a v1 Highlander at a lot less than a Druid V2?

sharkattack

right but not really liek for like, if you put similar bits on the Druid it would be much closer.

I last weighed the 141 with my light wheels and fast tyres with no inserts so that’s as light as it gets. I did just double check and spot the carbon rims and bars in the Druid review. I can fit carbon bars but I don’t have the rims.

I’ll be building the Druid with the parts from my redundant Norco Sight so I’ll be able to weigh them side by side before I sell the Privateer.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

For ref, my v2 is 15kg*. Which was the same weight as the outgoing Spectral*.

Carbon wheels too.

*Approximate weights based on bathroom scales.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My Druid V2 is about 14kg, nothing silly light, so it’s easy enough to get to that sort of weight.

Having had a 916 & my other half has a Claymore, the Druid is a considerably more versatile bike overall. I took a tape measure to mine as it also ‘felt’ bigger than the numbers suggested – it’s slacker & longer than the charts state.

I wasn’t after one, but found a barely used, cheap second hand frame, which. I could just punt on if I didn’t like & thought why not -it’s still here, so that probably says it all.

bikesandboots

Have you ridden a high pivot bike before? The growing chainstay as you go through the travel apparently takes some getting used to and isn’t for everyone.

Just thinking of the risk of lusting after something then being disappointed.

mildred

I’ve a highlander v1 150 – amazing bike; did the mega on it last year and rips local woodsy trails. Best all rounder I’ve ever owned – I’ve never ridden a bike that carries speed like it does. If you want a high pivot it’s got to be a consideration. I think the Claymore would be great if I had access to bigger mountains but I think for the UK the Highlander is perfect.

mildred

The growing chainstay as you go through the travel apparently takes some getting used to and isn’t for everyone

My other bike is a Raaw Madonna, & before that a Stage Evo & I really don’t think the high pivot highlander takes any getting used to. I can jump between bikes without having to engage brain. They’re just different bikes. The thing that surprised me the most was just how much speed it carries over very rocky rough terrain. First few corners were interesting as I was going too quick get round them..!

sharkattack

I have’t ridden a high pivot yet but everything I read is a selling point rather than an alarm bell. I’m a DH rider at heart I just don’t have access to mountains and chairlifts, I have endless chunky bridelways instead.

I also ride flat pedals and like to drop my heels and monster truck through rough stuff. Behaviour that really isn’t fun on most trail bikes which is why I always end up on big travel porkers.

sharkattack

I just sealed the deal on a sparkly black S4 frameset which I found in a sale somehow.

And now, we begin, the most painful part of any build…

waiting-waiting-patiently

honourablegeorge

where did you find it on sale?

sharkattack

Biketreks in Keswick. It’s the same one I saw hanging on the wall in February. I contacted them and they still had it, the only thing that had changed was the price.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I bought mine out to the Alps, along with my big bike & have ended up riding it more, generally as I prefer shorter travel bikes.

I don’t tend to ride the battered main lines, so I don’t need lots of travel & it’s been surprisingly good down the Pleney mega steeps, I’ve genuinely not wished to ride the other bike over it.

My only real issue so far has been in the sticky clay, where it’s been drying out here is it still packs mud into the lower link & it gets compressed as the suspension returns, but the weather has been pretty unique here this week & my usual riding conditions are not like that.

Does it feel like it has ‘more’ travel? No, I’d say it just feels like a very good trail bike, which has a different take on how it deals with things. I would say due to the high pivot it rides better on chunkier stuff than any bike I’ve ridden with 150mm of travel, or less though.

This one can stay for a while.

sharkattack

Sounds ideal really. I can bring it out to the Alps next month but I might still have the 141 Ohlins with a coil shock and longer fork which might be more suitable.

It’s due to a burglary and trying to replace bikes during Covid that I ended up with two good but very similar bikes. Now that I can switch things up a bit I want the Druid as a ‘trail bike’ for trail centres, exploring and big days out in the Peak.

I’m planning to sell the 141 and get a longer travel, mullet wheeled sled for holidays, uplifts and bike park stuff. That will have to wait now though (unless someone buys my motorbike on eBay then I’ll be buying 2 frames in one week!)

Then I won’t have to stand in the garage before every ride looking at my two 29er enduro bikes wondering which one to ride. It’ll be a really obvious choice depending on where I’m going.

chiefgrooveguru

I bet it’ll be great, look forward to seeing pics and ride reports!

“Then I won’t have to stand in the garage before every ride looking at my two 29er enduro bikes wondering which one to ride.”

I’ve always struggled with this – I hate feeling I picked the wrong bike. My current solution is having two bikes which have super similar geometry and parts but one of them has rear suspension and gears and a motor, and the other one doesn’t! They both ride well on all the trails I ride but do it in very different ways (whilst also being weirdly similar in how they handle).

sharkattack

Well I didn’t have to wait very long! Thanks to Biketreks for the overnight courier.

Frame is covered in sparkles which are hard to photograph but will probably look awesome in the sun (which is currently missing).

I ‘think’ I have everything I need to build it but no doubt I’ll be stuck in compatibility purgatory soon. I do need some fresh tyres because my current stock is clapped out.

My problem now is that I’m home alone with a toddler all day so all I can do is look at it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.