Home Forums Bike Forum In praise of Aeroe’s bike rack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • In praise of Aeroe’s bike rack
    gazzab1955

Just completed a 6 day self supported bike packing tour of mid Wales, part of Trans Cambrian, part of Traws Eryri and a return route from Trawsfynydd to Rhayader via Bala Lake that we made up “on the fly”. Not being happy with my previous rack set up I “bit the bullet” and invested in the Aeroe Spider Rack, two extra cradles and two 12lt dry bags (in black, why don’t they sell them in orange like the 8lt ones? much more visible when on the road). The purchase was based on practicality, they fit any bike, and the fact that I couldn’t find anyone saying anything but good things about them, including Benji on here recently.

Once set up the system was absolutely rock solid on my Stumpjumper even though it was probably overloaded way beyond any Specialized weight limits. The suspension and dropper post worked as normal which made the off road sections much more comfortable to ride.

Not cheap, but I would highly recommend the investment as they really do fit any bike, future proofing for any new bike purchase down the road. Added bonus was Microsoft finding a 20% off voucher during the purchase!

2024-08-30 - bike packing test ride

Kramer
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m really pleased with mine too.

Not used mine in anger, but impressed nontheless. Have mine set up with panniers

lardman
    Free Member

I have these too. Swap between bikes easily as you say.

I bought the 8l orange ones for visibility, but also would have preferred the larger ones. Although and bright dry bag would fit too.

I fitted the ‘top’ cradle across (perpendicular to the bike) to get a longer pack that hovers above the side bags.

Very solid and wobble free. Just a bit of extra weight penalty over other type of racks is the only downside.

lardman
    Free Member

Doing the King Alfred’s Way next week, so I’ll see how they do in the likely/possible mud too!!

scotroutes

I’ve used mine with the 13 litre Alpkit bags. The one downside is the encouragement to take more stuff. I’ve since bought a couple of the 8 litre Aeroe bags but not tried them yet.

fossy

KAW is muddy at present.

If you see a wide path/road, sunken below the field on the Northern section. it’s a quagmire – Chalk mud, that’s thick and sticky.

easily
    Free Member

After advice from people here I bought a spider rack a month or so ago. I then spent loads more than I’d intended on various bits and pieces to fit onto it.

I’m happy with the rack, it works as well as I’d hoped on my bumpy commute – I’m looking forward to trying on something a bit gnarlier.

The bags and trunk are ok, but I wish Aeroe had thought about them a bit more. As said above it would be good to have orange in the large size, but they could also easily have added reflective patches.
    I’d also have liked a carrying handle on the trunk bag, straps to carry a jacket on the outside, a small external pocket, and mostly a place to clip lights as the bags cover my entire Seatpost.

Small things, I know, but these are expensive bags. You’d think Aeroe could splash out a bit on a few little things to make them more useful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.