Home Forums Bike Forum Ideas to secure dropper cable

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ideas to secure dropper cable
  • crazyjenkins01

Evening boys and girls.
    I’m very close to getting the new Bossnut but have a small issue…
    I’m planning to rob the upgrades from my V1 and transfer to the new one, including a KS Lev dropper. HOWEVER, unlike the V1, the new frame doesn’t have cable clamps on the top tube (does have a stealth port on the seat tube though). As the Lev isn’t stealth routing, I can’t work out how to run the cable as before without having some shitty cable ties holding it in place and spoiling it.
    Any help or suggestions on what I could do to use what I have (money for new stealth dropper is non existent) would be greatly appreciated!
    Link to pictures.
    Picture of bike

fossy

If your careful, you might just need two cable ties on the top tube. Had to do this with my wife’s BMC Fourstroke and external reverb. 2 carefully placed ties and it looks fine. Cable runs under top tube.

tomparkin

Could you run it down the downtube with the brake and gear cables, then up in line with the seattube? I did that with my Ariel and it seems to work out better than trying to tack it to the top tube.

Not sure if the Lev cable terminates at the post head or collar – my BX unit terminates at the collar which makes things a bit easier as I don’t have a big loop of cable to accommodate when the dropper is down.

crazyjenkins01

Thanks fozzy, I might have to do that.
    Lev terminates at the collar @tomparkin that’s why I bought that one (had the e-ten before which terminated at the post end) I did think I could use the cable guides on the down tube, but I reckon I’d still need to secure it (with a bloody cable tie!) somewhere on the seat tube 😔

guglielmo
    Free Member

You can buy stick on cable “bosses”, they work great for a dropper cable or brake line

hols2
    Free Member

Just get some cable ties that match your frame colour and ignore how it looks. They are cheap and effective. Stick-on cable guides get ripped off easily IME, so you end up with cables flapping around mid-ride.

Or just buy a stealth dropper post.

timbog160
    Free Member

Can’t you use some of those rotating cable clips to attach to your brake or gear cables on the downtube. If you cable tie it to the frame you will inevitably end up with scratches and wear marks….

hols2
    Free Member

If you cable tie it to the frameride the bike you will inevitably end up with scratches and wear marks….

crazyjenkins01

Well, the problem will be the same(ish) but on the new Triple B instead!
    It does come with a stealth dropper, but I like the Lev and it was a bit more expensive than the one provided on the build!

DezB
    Free Member

My old Yeti had a cable tie on the back of the seatpost. A glob of Sugru inbetween the suspension plates and a stick on cable guide under the downtube. The stick on cable guide eventually fell off, so another cable tie was used.
    I swapped back to the sticky one to sell it cos it looked neater. Don’t know how long that’ll last!

wzzzz
    Free Member

Use the 2 zip tie method. Stops it rotating round and scratching the frame.

Looks neater too

crazyjenkins01

Kinda like the look of those green ones Tracey! Cheers

DezB
    Free Member

under the downtube” (Toptube, obvs )

weeksy

Wzzz that’s ace!!!

I’ve used stick one ones, some are better than others. The best ones j found went length ways and it clipped in, rather than the C clip ones that were rubbish

crazyjenkins01

wzzzz, that is a great idea! Now I’m looking at the Triple B, the colour does mean I can hide zip ties a bit easier!

hols2
    Free Member

You can just use a plastic washer instead of the second cable tie if you want it to sit a bit flatter.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Sell it and buy a stealth

crazyjenkins01

I did consider selling nwmlarge. The triple B comes with a stealth, but I really like the Lev!

Kryton57

I move mine between bikes and just use electrical tape – cheap quick and easy.

Without cutting it, one wrap around the top tube so you have tape between the frame and cable, hold the cable in place and wrap the tape around tightly twice.  Cut neatly. I did this twice along the TT.

The cable will eventually wear through the tape so keep an eye on it, although I had mine on for 3 months last winter and it barely marked the tape, I suspect because my method prevented much cable movement.

crazyjenkins01

That seems pretty good Kryton, I like that idea 🙂
    Dirt cheap too.

batman11
    Free Member
    damascus
    Free Member

What’s the dropper that comes on it?

Can you sell both droppers and buy a stealth brand x dropper?

crazyjenkins01

@damascus its a KS Rage-i, so its the same brand and internal routed so I could stick with it. Only real issue is the Rage is a budget option and the Lev isn’t!

damascus
    Free Member

How old is your preferred dropper?

crazyjenkins01

About 18months or so

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ideas to secure dropper cable’ is closed to new replies.