• This topic has 49 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • I think Lance might be in trouble
  • brooess
    Free Member
    large418
    Free Member

I would like to say I feel sorry for him, but I don’t. His eyes in that photo say he’s worried (to me).

edward2000
    Free Member

Reminds me of a Simpsons quote, ‘The firm declared super-duper bankruptcy. Which is terrible news for the company’s only stock-holder… Homer Simpson’

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure why Landis [ who did exactly what LA did – cheat and lie] should benefit from any of this

brooess
    Free Member

Not sure why Landis [ who did exactly what LA did – cheat and lie] should benefit from any of this

I think the argument for this is that it encourages whistleblowing. And if Landis getting a reward means Lance is brought down then justice is seen to be done… there is a significant difference to the magnitudes of what they did after all…

I agree, it doesn’t seem ideal but you can’t disagree with the potential final outcome…

tpbiker
    Free Member

This

+ infinity

I don’t mind Armstrong being forced into coughing up, but the thought of that cheating little rodent getting rich on the back of this makes me slightly sick….

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Lance in 2014

shortcut

Hang one, hang them all. Or preferably not and just improve the sport and its cleanliness going forward.

Nothing is gained by making Lance homeless. The sponsors benefit at the time is still what it was.

Poo happens. They should get over it. Stick them all on community service or in jail for a while. Levy a % of wealth fine and move forward. Job done, easy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it encourages whistleblowing

what fraudster [ he repaid to avoid prosecution in a deal]finally gives in and takes as many folk with him as possible and hacks some computers – this is not whistleblowing as I understand it.

you can’t disagree with the potential final outcome…

[quote]
    I just did , twice 😉

Fine for what happened to LA but landis getting wealthy on this NO

Northwind

Junkyard – Member

Because Armstrong is personally responsible for all doping ever, and once they bring him down, the sport will be rehabilitated and they can all have medals 😉

svalgis
    Free Member

Lance who?

br
    Free Member

So, the US Postal Service never benefited from been associated with Lance – if that WAS the case then whoever agreed the sponsorship is the fraud, for wasting taxpayers money.

Its just another example of what happens when you’ve too many lawyers.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The government suing someone for lying to and defrauding the public? Excellent! When are they going after the politicians then?

tbark22
    Free Member

So, the US Postal Service never benefited from been associated with Lance

This is what I struggle with, maybe the US postal service should also have to pay back any profits, distributed evenly to all its customers for the period in which they sponsored lance. That would cost them more in what they recoup.
    All it is is people jumping on the bandwagon trying to get a payout.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it’s what happens when you let America become independent….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

we have similar principles as to benefit applied in Competition Law, the whistleblower essentially gets immunity from prosecution and no penalties

the Landis/ Lance thing is based on US legislation and has been used a few times by their financial authorities

for cycling/ all sport on the issue of doping the issue is getting the witnesses and the evidence. I’d be happy if some similar setup could be created to kill the omerta on doping in all sports coupled with financial penalties to fund further traditional testing and research etc

lazybike
    Free Member

Lance’s lawyers will prove that everyone in the pro peleton.. was, in some shape or form.. cheating, they will also prove that everyone, from the UCI down to coach drivers, new about the doping…Lance will probably end up richer…ironically he’ll also be the reason doping gets eradicated.

brodie
    Free Member

Lance’s lawyers will prove that everyone in the pro peleton.. was, in some shape or form.. cheating, they will also prove that everyone, from the UCI down to coach drivers, new about the doping…Lance will probably end up richer…ironically he’ll also be the reason doping gets eradicated.

This. I’m imagine his book sales are through the roof at the moment.

cb

This is going too far now, he deserves to be punished but there is only so much stress one man can take. I am somewhat fearful of where this could all lead.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

cb – Member

This is going too far now, he deserves to be punished but there is only so much stress one man can take. I am somewhat fearful of where this could all lead.

where is it going to lead?

Was there a limit to the stress he dealt out?

Junkyard
    Free Member

what did he expect he had contracts wher ehe signed to say he was not a drug cheat and he even took one to court where he lied under oath to get his payments…what do you think these companies would do when they found out the liar and the cheat lied to them and cheated them out of money?
    He is merely reaping wht he has sowed. He shoudl be grateful no one has done a LA on him and threatened his charity, called him a whore or suggested he is mentally unstable.

Not nice man gets his comupance basically.

D0NK

He shoudl be grateful no one has done a LA on him and threatened his charity, called him a whore or suggested he is mentally unstable.

just aslong as you don’t call him fat you’ll be ok.

enfht
    Free Member

I’m disappointed that the many people he destroyed for trying to out him haven’t now moved in for the kill.

globalti
    Free Member

If you live by the sword you’ll die by the sword.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Lance Armstrong did drugs! 😯

brodie
    Free Member

Yes. The members of singletrackworld forum have decided that LA did in fact take drugs, therefor it is fact.

Thank you, goodnight.

lazybike
    Free Member

Lance Armstrong did drugs!

It was the done thing in professional cycling…m’lud

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think if it was anyone else I would feel sorry for them but seeing that LA bullied anyone that dared to question his validity I feel he deserves all he gets.

I think it is about time that all dopers should face a prison sentence. I see no difference between doping and match fixing. Both is basically cheating the paying sporting public/businesses.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The members of singletrackworld forum have decided that LA did in fact take drugs, therefor it is fact.

As has finally confessed I am failing to see what your point is here tbh

cb

I’ll try a different approach – what physical, mental and economic state would most of you like to see LA end up at? Where does it end? I am interested rather than being antagonistic. Broke, jail (for how long), straight jacket? To me, his main crime in life was being an arrogant p*ick and a bully. The rest was no worse than any other rider – he just happened to be better when doped.

Don’t go getting confused thinking I am condoning his actions but at some stage he’ll have to be considered as ‘time served’. And just don’t buy his bloody books – its quite simple.

crazy-legs

I’m with cb on this, I find the whole “we must bring LA down at all costs” approach a bit OTT really, a bit too much like a witch-hunt and vendetta rolled into one.

Re the bullying and lying – what exactly do you think goes on in the pro peloton? It’s a cartel, the omerta runs right through it at all levels. Every non-doper in there has suffered to some degree or other, even the neo-pros at the time (like Millar) who were staunchly anti-doping were eventually sucked in by peer pressure and what amounts to bullying from their teammates and managers. Or they quit.

LA (and USPS/Discovery) wasn’t doing anything different to any other rider/team. He just did it better. I don’t condone the doping in any way but cycling let itself get to that point with the tacit approval of the UCI, the team managers, the sponsors and the riders.

The constant “let’s get Lance” just continues to drag the name and reputation of cycling through the mud while doing nothing to tackle the current doping problem.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The rest was no worse than any other rider – he just happened to be better when doped.

Not this again For the record not every rider cheated – it is well known that many did not

LA (and USPS/Discovery) wasn’t doing anything different to any other rider/team

As above and frankly that is just LA BS said so often that some folk buy it. It is just not true- its celarly not true it just laughable [ and tragic] that folk are still saying this.
    It is factually untrue to claim they all cheated or to suggest that all teams behavedlike this or that all leaders or riders acted as LA did. Please stop doing it.

Personally as he seems to have made all his wealth from cheating it would not seem unreasonable that he looses it all due to it being fraud/cheating- bit like taking away the profits for crime for a caught drug dealer or bank robber.

at some stage he’ll have to be considered as ‘time served’.

what is the time – i assume you mean punishment here – that he has served so far exactly – it seems he has been stripped but remains personally a very wealthy man on the back of his cheating and has yet to engage fully in confessing or asking for forgiveness.

I would support truth and reconcilliation but as far as I can see LA has lied all his life except once to Oprah then refused to talk to the actual officials.
    If the bank robber confesses to Oprah would you or anyone consider that as “time served”?

crazy-legs

It is factually untrue to claim they all cheated or to suggest that all teams behavedlike this or that all leaders or riders acted as LA did. Please stop doing it.

Read the earlier books.

Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet
    Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle

Doping was endemic before Lance, it was endemic during Lance’s time and it’s a lot less endemic now. Lance is not and never was the be-all-and-end-all of doping. He’s a liar and a cheat and deserves to be stripped of his titles. But then so does Riis and Ullrich and Virenque and Rasmussen and probably 80% of the rest of the riders who stood on that podium or won a jersey. Let’s be fair.

And while we’re being fair, I really wish someone would open the door into the rest of the sports and athletes that Fuentes “treated”. I suspect that the football and tennis worlds would suddenly find themeselves with very red faces.

brodie
    Free Member

As has finally confessed I am failing to see what your point is here tbh

Bit fed up of all the Lance bashing to be honest. The regulars of Singletrack seem to have decided that LA is evil and every thread created about him decends into a barrage of boring quotes and examples of how awful he truly was.

Everyone overlooks the positive points of his career, just as I imagine everyone will forget that Pistorius has inspired a whole generation of athletes.

Why does Lance deserve a big house and a hot wife? Because he spent every waking moment of his whole life trying to be the best at something, same reason David Beckham deserves to stay in 14k hotel rooms.

Waderider
    Free Member

I think anyone still giving Lance some sympathy may very well have shaky morals themselves. Either that or a liberal mindset as wide as the Atlantic.

In this life you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Lance is the former. The gathering of ‘riches’ through cheating is immoral at the very least. It doesn’t matter a jot that you worked hard at your cheating. Brodie, tell me your post is a wind up?!

brodie
    Free Member

Well im not in love with the man but I think he has done enough good in his life to avoid being cast out onto the streets in poverty.

Unless I were looking up at him from the TdF podium in second place knowing I was clean as a whistle I’ve got better things to put effort into than destroying a man I don’t even know.

Northwind

Waderider – Member

I think anyone still giving Lance some sympathy may very well have shaky morals themselves. Either that or a liberal mindset as wide as the Atlantic.

Mmmmm. I think it was a dirty sport before he arrived, and I think since so many top riders were also doping, it’s hard to condemn one for doing something that was commonplace. It’d have been very hard to succeed at the top without doping (the “what clean rider would have won Lance’s tours” game is good fun.)

Did he ever beat a clean rider into second? Doesn’t seem so.

He didn’t have to be a **** about it though and that’s one of the reasons people will be happier to see him fall than they might otherwise, I think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Everyone overlooks the positive points of his career

what positives? he was a lying cheat who bullied the peleton, caused innocent riders who did not cheat to leave the peleton and sport. He threatened Le monds business, accused his wife suggested his masseuse was a drunk with loose morals aggressively suedd all those who spoke the truth and denied it till the end.

What are the positive aspects of his career that I am missing

it’s hard to condemn one for doing something that was commonplace.

Ah the nuremberg defence 😕

It’d have been very hard to succeed at the top without doping (the “what clean rider would have won Lance’s tours” game is good fun.)

True

Did he ever beat a clean rider into second? Doesn’t seem so.

No but clean riders lost jobs, stages and tours due to cheats

I do agree with the general point that we should be attempting to clean up the sport not just bring down LA however he needs to reap what he sows. He achieved everything by being a lying cheat and he should not prosper from this.

hora
    Free Member

Who cares?

They are always one step ahead the athletes. Look at Oscar- only caught out due the shooting of his girlfriend.

Cheats after fellow cheats. Wtf. Landis dragged the Tour through the court in attempt to keep his title. What a Hyena.

crazy-legs

Cheats after fellow cheats. Wtf. Landis dragged the Tour through the court in attempt to keep his title. What a Hyena.

It’s pretty despicable that Landis stands to gain a lot of money if the whistleblowing lawsuit ever actually comes to fruition – the Sunday Times today reckoned the case might take 3 or 4 YEARS to settle but Landis was just as much a cheat as LA… (and Ullrich, and all the others).

He continued to do dope and cheat while Team Leader at Phonak (basically demanding that the rest of the team dopes to enable him to “win”), he defrauded the general population with that “Floyd Fairness Fund” and a book about how he was innocent and now stands to come out of it several tens of millions of dollars better off… 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘I think Lance might be in trouble’ is closed to new replies.