Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • I questioned someone leaving a bagged dog poo in a hedge.
  • wilburt
    Free Member

great when you have kids who love to run in the undergrowth.

Like I said punchy, you make a decision on the specific situation.

RustySpanner

Why not just take it home, wherever you are?

singletrackmind

If spotted hiding bag in tree or hedge why not retreive said bag and throw it at the back of their head ” I think you dropped this , by mistake, here you are ”

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Dog community leaders should have to condemn it

I asked and they said “woof bark growl woof” and then peed on my leg.

theotherjonv

Why not just take it home, wherever you are?

exactly

that can never be wrong. As soon as you allow ‘discretion’ about whether you have to bag or not then people will decide not to. As I said in a previous thread there’s plenty of situations where stick and flick isn’t appropriate.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/government-to-take-action-on-dog-poo-in-trees

pictonroad

You lot seem to see issues way beyond what I see, never seen it as bad as some of you describe.

You’re lucky then, every walk round here, there’s probably 50 bags easily visible.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My philosophy is all you dog owners are to blame

What, EVERY dog owner?

Nob.

Although I do often feel like printing some A4 posters off & laminating them saying, ‘Does whoever this crap parcel belong to actually think the Dogshit Fairy comes round every night & clears this shite up? Cos she doesn’t, there’s no such thing as a Dogshit Fairy (unlike the Tooth Fairy, which is real) So Dear ignorant Shite for brains, take your mutts crap away from here & dispose of it in a non childish manner.’

Or words to that effect.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Seems the forestry commission are fed up with the bags too;

Stick and Flick – Forestry Commission have a poem

1,000 tons of dog-poo a day 😯

project
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    You lot seem to see issues way beyond what I see, never seen it as bad as some of you describe.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0EKfYlyqkM[/video]

some dog owners appear to have the co ordination of a dead frog and be unable to deposit a bag of doggy plops into a bin, through the rather large orifice in the front or back, and to think this location after dark is a doggers visiting place, hope they have better luck selecting the correct orifice then.

rmacattack
    Free Member

i agree with op 100 %. i clearly cannot get the logic that must be in some people’s heads. you got to wonder who you share oxygen with these days. people are just dicks.

loddrik
    Free Member

I blame brexit

wilburt
    Free Member

I blame the absence of natural selection for poo bags in trees and poo nazis and brexit.

kudos100
    Free Member

I think shooting dog owners is the only way to go. As someone above mentioned, sniper rifle squad in the bushes.

Leave a dog poo bag on a tree and you are taken out of the gene pool. Less dog shit in the countryside and fewer people who lack common sense breeding.

Win-win.

pictonroad

My philosophy is all you dog owners are to blame
    What, EVERY dog owner?

Nob.

This is the point of my impotent ranting. I KNOW that not all dog owners are to blame, some of my mates have dogs and they’d never dream of such activities.

However, I’ve lost the ability to see rationally on the subject, it’s SO disgusting, SO unnneccessary and it’s becoming normal now.

Those of us without dogs but with the constant joy of picking shit out of our kids shoes are asking these responsible owners if theyve got a f-ing clue how to stop the seemingly incessant tide?

wilburt
    Free Member

Why bring kids into it, just a question… I mean why should I give a fk more about your kids than I do about you?

So yes, we all agree dog shit is not nice, there is a long list of stuff that is not nice, you can either make that list and start at the top shooting everyone and everything you dont like or find solutions that work.

(or go online ranting with the occasional capital letter)

pictonroad

Shooting people? What now?

Finding solutions? That’s what I’m asking dog owners, what is the solution?

Exactly what have I said that’s riled you? Seriously, is anything in any of my posts unreasonable?

Why kids? Why not? I’ve got two, today my two year old ended up smeared in dog shit, should I not mention it?

sgn23
    Free Member

There needs to be a deterrent. Bring back the dog license + mandatory dog micro chipping. Record the DNA of every dog (paid from the high tax). If a tree hanger is found the authorities analyse the poo and the offending owner has one warning, then second offence and their dog is euthanaised.
    Won’t go down well with the liberals.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Anyone caught leaving dog mess, bagged or not, whatever the excuse, should have their dog destroyed (humanely, of course).

That introduced, and a blitz of enforcement would focus a few minds.

slowoldman

What do dog owners who do this think would stop them doing it?

Drac

I’m not dogist I KNOW that not all dog owners are to blame, some of my mates have dogs 😆

mudmuncher

Great attitude Wilbert – the world would be a better place if it was filled with people like you.

the toxocariasis parasite in dog shite is responsible for a number of kids losing their sight in one or more eye every year, but I guess you don’t give a fk about that either.

wilburt
    Free Member

Ok, you can have this one on me:

Dog licencing- good idea.
    Education- when to pick and when flick.
    Bins- more of them and the taxes to pay for them.

That’ll fix it, all you have to do ask which mp or councilor to support those actions, then vote for them.

Whining on a bike forum isnt going to fix the problem. .

BurnBob
    Free Member

I’m surprised that no ones driven past these reprobates in a tractor with the silage spreader on full whack

What’s a silage spreader?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Come to think of it, I blame the (ingenious) inventor of the poo bag. What happened before poo bags & have they made the UK a better place?

What’s a silage spreader?

He’s a city bwoy & doesn’t know that sileage is food, not fertiliser. 😆

moose
    Free Member

I used to use a cheap climbing chalk bag, works a treat, especially if you double bag using scented nappy bags.

Rio

Bins- more of them and the taxes to pay for them.

Our village has recently gained several unsightly bright red dog shit bins. If the neighbouring village is anything to go by then come the summer they’ll stink and be festooned with bags that people can’t actually manage to get into the bins or have bags piled on top because as soon as one person leaves one there everyone else avoids moving them to put theirs in. Why do we need these? If it’s your dog, take its shit home with you.

wilburt
    Free Member

Youre not realy this stupid are you?

Why do we need any public infrastructure?

ahwiles
    Free Member

…Won’t go down well with the liberals.

Liberals get tarred with all sorts of brushes.

I’m a liberal, I favour the sniper-in-the-bushes approach.

Every now and then the peace of the great outdoors would be pierced by an echoing K’kowwwww! of a rifle shot making the world a better place.

As for the dog, we’ll happily take in a terrier or two.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Oddly people do what they’re told to some degree. At least the minimum possible.

They’ve been told to bag up dog poo. So they bag up dog poo. Then the rest of their responsibility is too much hassle, so in the tree or side of the path it goes.

They’re not going to change no matter how much you insist.

Not sure then if flicking it in the bushes is better. It’s certainly way better to not have plastic bags in the environment, but for riders off the path, kids playing or, in the case of MOD land the army crawling through the undergrowth, it’s literally shit and a danger to health.

Rio

Youre not realy this stupid are you?

No but thanks for asking, poor points for grammar and spelling.

Interesting that all the general litter bins have gone, like the ones that could be used for the hypothetical litter left by cyclists, but we still manage to pay for dog shit bins out of public money. Strange world we live in.

oldnpastit

I’ve been given the “but I’m going to pick it up on the way back” story.

This is not actually true. They don’t.

When dog walkers say this, I think you’re quite within your rights to say that they’re lying.

singletrackmind

So I will have to pay more tax to cover dog shit bins and pay the men to empty them, replace them when they get vandalised etc because some dog owners cannot face the public humility of walking round with a bag of warm dog turds. Sound fair to you?
    Much easier , fine them for littering. In that London you get an £80 on the spot fine for throwing a cigarette end on the floor. In a city , not an AOONB or National Park. Revenue generating and , maybe over a decade , change in attitude toward dog turd tree decorations.

allthepies
    Free Member

Judging by the amount of ciggy ends I see on the floor from my short daily walk from Bank to Liverpool St, it’s not an effective deterrent.

wilburt
    Free Member

We all pay for public services we may not use ourselves.

This thread is a perfect example of the dim witted thinking that leads(no pun) to this situation.

I say kick the occasional bit in to the undergrowth and what do we get..? A load nonsence about toddlers and soldiers ffs. I also clearly said “assess each specific area” to make a choice if its the right thing to do but that part of the suggestion is either too complex for some wombles or they just ignore so they can have a rant.
    So you can either have your social media rants to no effect whatsoever or you can:
    Put a few bins in areas were its a problem.
    Educate people on when its ok to flick.
    That would get rid of the problem and you can find something else to moan about.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You need to move to a better area.

My local parks even provide free poo bags, I rarely if ever, see a discarded bag or dog shit. It is Tunbridge Wells Council though.

One of the largest Tory majorities on the Country and voted against Brexit. So I blame Brexit and Labour voters for leaving their dog shit behind.

theotherjonv

Judging by the amount of ciggy ends I see on the floor from my short daily walk from Bank to Liverpool St, it’s not an effective deterrent.

Hate to tie this to a more serious thread but it is similar to the Aldershot drink driving murderer soldier; punishment is one thing but for a deterrent to work there also has to be a likelihood of being caught.

Trouble with society today is that people are thinking ‘how can I get away with this?’ / ‘Can I get away with this?’ instead of taking responsibility in the first place. So the rest of us with a higher moral conscience need to stand up to it.

If someone leaves it lying there, tell them to pick it up. If they bag and drop, ask them not to. If they refuse, call it in and describe them / dog to the council. It’s not acceptable and to let them do it makes you in a small part complicit.

As for drink driving – £500 reward for anyone supplying information leading to an arrest. I wouldn’t allow a mate to drive me when drunk, and if he then insisted on driving anyway I’d happily grass him up if I can’t talk prevent him driving by other means. Make it so that equation of ‘Will I get away with this?’ becomes a lot trickier, knowing that your number plate may now be on every police car in the area’s computer screen.

pictonroad

Morning Wilburt
    8)

Lovely day down south, I’ll have to pop out for a walk with the kids. 😉

I’m actually not against kicking the odd bit into the undergrowth if that’s the alternative, makes sense to me.

As you’ve said, public services benefit all people, maybe not you directly, so perhaps you can concede that just because you don’t have a child it is an issue for toddlers to repeatedly get covered in dog shit?

I tend to stick to actual practical actions to help causes I believe in, I think this is my first social* media rant so I hope you can forgive me…

theotherjonv

A load nonsence about toddlers and soldiers ffs. I also clearly said “assess each specific area” to make a choice if its the right thing to do but that part of the suggestion is either too complex for some wombles or they just ignore so they can have a rant.

@wilbur

Neither too complex nor ignored. In fact I think you’ve ‘ignored’ my counter to it (although as it was in a linked thread you may just not have clicked through). So here it is in full c&p glory:

It’s not that simple – plenty of dog walking areas are not woodland but for example open grassland where just because it’s not on a path doesn’t mean it won’t get stood on. Plus kids like to play in woodland, hide and seek in bushes, and so on. Just cos’ it’s out of sight doesn’t make the problem go away.

A second aspect is that some areas have highly specific and fragile soil ecologies, and the high N and P contents of dog waste change that balance. Additionally, residual levels of eg worming or flea treatments can be sufficient to kill invertebrates or lizards that feed on it.

http://www.frp.org.uk/pdf/frp/2_Acid_grassland_July_2004.pdf

Lastly – military areas are blighted by this, where owners kick their dogshit into a bush only for some poor soldier to then dive on it and spend the next 3 days covered in dog mess.

I know not all areas are susceptible to all these situations, but having different rules for different areas causes confusion and where that exists, excuses. The rule should be simple, if you have a dog you clear up after it and you deal with it until it’s in a bin. Leaving a bag ‘to collect later’ should carry the same penalty as not picking it up.

Bagging and binning is never wrong; allowing people to make judgement just adds another layer of excuse (I didn’t realise you had to pick up here / I never saw the signs….. etc.) If people can’t do the basics now, don’t make it more complex by adding a decision too 🙂

martinhutch

Bagging and binning is never wrong; allowing people to make judgement just adds another layer of excuse (I didn’t realise you had to pick up here / I never saw the signs….. etc.) If people can’t do the basics now, don’t make it more complex by adding a decision too

This.

jimjam
    Free Member

Offending owners should be compelled at gunpoint to put their dogs into a woodchipper. Followed by said owners. Who would miss them?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘I questioned someone leaving a bagged dog poo in a hedge.’ is closed to new replies.