Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Government to take action on dog poo in trees…
  • smokey_jo

‘Don’t bag up dog poo in countryside’, animal owners urged – Leave it on the ground instead[/URL]

mattsccm
    Free Member

It amazes me that this isn’t obvious. Why even take a bag with you? Kick it in the verge and something will eat it. If its a child it will only do it once!

Yak

Shitmaggeddon ahoy. Oh joy 😕

steezysix
    Free Member

I’m in favour of this, if people can just use a stick to push/fling it out of sight, it’ll disappear quick. Sealing it in a bag and leaving it on the ground or in a tree is moronic. Just got to learn to keep your mouth closed while riding!

martinhutch

It amazes me that this isn’t obvious

Not sure we should be encouraging ‘kick and flick’ as a universal concept. Farmers who have footpaths through their livestock will be delighted by the new dietary supplement provided by dog owners.

hatter

Because there’s nothing more important going on in Parliament today….

That’s my ‘local’ MP and a right nasty piece of work, gay marriage? against! Brexit? For! Fiddling expenses? Yes please!

Ghastly woman.

Yak

Dirty protest then. Flick it under her hedge.

convert

Can you imagine the state of the undergrowth in a heavily used urban park.

Also handy that Fido shits himself in a convenient hoofing distance to the nearest hedge or are owners expected to dribble it there from the middle of the park?

km79
    Free Member

The Forestry Commission has had a ‘flick it with a stick’ policy for years, makes sense in lower use areas.

oldtalent
    Free Member

gay marriage? against! Brexit? For!

Gets my vote.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Bag it. Take it home. Dispose as you would if it was done in your garden. Basic good manners.

Telling people to “flick it” is basically saying it’s ok to be a irresponsible dog owner.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Far too many dog owners seem to think that The Dog Shit Fairy comes along every night to take bags of shit away.
    Doesn’t happen, even if you do believe in fairies.

theotherjonv

It’s not that simple – plenty of dog walking areas are not woodland but for example open grassland where just because it’s not on a path doesn’t mean it won’t get stood on. Plus kids like to play in woodland, hide and seek in bushes, and so on. Just cos’ it’s out of sight doesn’t make the problem go away.

A second aspect is that some areas have highly specific and fragile soil ecologies, and the high N and P contents of dog waste change that balance. Additionally, residual levels of eg worming or flea treatments can be sufficient to kill invertebrates or lizards that feed on it.

http://www.frp.org.uk/pdf/frp/2_Acid_grassland_July_2004.pdf

Lastly – military areas are blighted by this, where owners kick their dogshit into a bush only for some poor soldier to then dive on it and spend the next 3 days covered in dog mess.

I know not all areas are susceptible to all these situations, but having different rules for different areas causes confusion and where that exists, excuses. The rule should be simple, if you have a dog you clear up after it and you deal with it until it’s in a bin. Leaving a bag ‘to collect later’ should carry the same penalty as not picking it up.

I’m a dog owner myself, and it’s part of the territory to me. And excuses like not wanting to carry it for miles or hours after just don’t wash, sorry. You knew the rules when you got the dog, double bag it and deal with it.

Alpha1653

It’s a terrible idea! I lived in Pembrokeshire for a few years near a beautiful place called Bosherston Lily Ponds and I recall talking to a volunteer when I visited one time. They were going through the massive site and picking up dog eggs which had been left behind as when they are left in the hedgerows they are a great source of fertiliser for the more aggressive plant life which grows at an increased rate, killing off the more delicate ecology in the area. I also second the point above from theotherjonv: being on exercise in an area where dog owners just leave their dog’s crap lying around is disgusting and poses a genuine health risk.

If you can be arsed to walk your dog, where’s the hassle in carrying their crap in a bag and binning it at the first opportunity?

When I rule the world, dog owners who leave their dog’s crap for others in public places, and those who pick it up and then hoof it into the trees (wtf?!) will be lined up and shot.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Around the MOD lands, the army often say they hate dog poo far more than mountain bikes (and a lot have little issue with the bikes). Crawling in undergrowth and having dog poo flicked in there will not go down well.

And then generally in the countryside, a lot of bike trails are off the main paths. Effectively in dog poo flicking territory.

The proper advice is to not be a dick and dispose of the poo properly.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

She does have a nice dog though 😀

Agreed, I hate to see dog muck in bags hanging from trees or left to the side of a footpath. Take it to a bin ffs! Dirty buggers!

ajantom

When I rule the world, dog owners who leave their dog’s crap for others in public places, and those who pick it up and then hoof it into the trees (wtf?!) will be lined up and shot.

Nah, shooting’s too nice. Anyone spotted not picking up dog poo would be forced to eat it on the spot. It’s an offence you’d only commit once. Unless you were really weird!

ferrals
    Free Member

I know not all areas are susceptible to all these situations, but having different rules for different areas causes confusion and where that exists, excuses. The rule should be simple, if you have a dog you clear up after it and you deal with it until it’s in a bin. Leaving a bag ‘to collect later’ should carry the same penalty as not picking it up.

I’m a dog owner myself, and it’s part of the territory to me. And excuses like not wanting to carry it for miles or hours after just don’t wash, sorry. You knew the rules when you got the dog, double bag it and deal with it

Agreed. people a f-ing lazy though. Confronted a middle-aged woman letting her dog crap outside my house once and not pick it up. Her excuses were a) well theres a bit of sheep shit there too and b) my mother never bothered picking up dogshit when I was young.

WTAF??

mattsccm
    Free Member

Telling people to “flick it” is basically saying it’s ok to be a irresponsible dog owner
    Not in rural areas. And frankly I am totally fed up with everything being so bloody special in urban areas. I don’t give a whatsit. The odd plastic bag kicking around the average park is a drop in ocean from what I can see. Dangling from a tree in the middle of the woods is horrid and stupid. Why don’t people think? Grrrr Probably the same dimwits who I see riding their bikes in the winter with their kids crying because they have cold hands and no gloves or don’t understand that rural roads are not sodding footpaths.

kerley
    Free Member

don’t understand that rural roads are not sodding footpaths.

When there is no footpath then the road is the footpath. Blame the councils for not providing footpaths rather than people who might want to dare to walk somewhere.

mudmuncher

Mandatory DNA database for all dogs.

Any dog mess found in a public place is tested.

Owner get £1000 fine and the specimen returned and thinly spread on their living room carpet.

Problem solved.

https://www.ibdna.com/tests/dog-poop-dna-testing/

kerley
    Free Member

Mandatory DNA database for all dogs.

Any dog mess found in a public place is tested.

Owner get £1000 fine and the specimin returned and thinly spread on their living room carpet.

Problem solved.

Think you would need a fine much bigger than a £1000 to pay for that. DNA testing on every piece of poo just in a 200 metre walk up a road that I use would keep a team of 10 in a job.

globalti
    Free Member

But you can’t get DNA from faeces.

mudmuncher

But you can’t get DNA from faeces.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35363991

sparkyrhino

Always carry and put in a bin, make great hand warmers when its cold 😯

natrix
    Free Member

I agree with theotherjonv on this.

Lastly – military areas are blighted by this, where owners kick their dogshit into a bush only for some poor soldier to then dive on it and spend the next 3 days covered in dog mess.

Not just soldiers, some are school children in their schools CCF. The military are so fed up with this that they have started to close off parking spots near their training areas.

xora

Not military but happened to my mate when we were play some variation of hide and seek as kids. Face first too. He was not a happy bunny!

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Flick it under her hedge.

🙂 best euphemism I’ve seen on here in ages!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

In a public place bag it bin it. In the open countryside leave. When in a bag it’s a 5-25 year waste problem depending on bag design / material breakdown.

theotherjonv

define open countryside vs public place?

And bags disposed of in poo bins are incinerated so your 5-25 year decomposition isn’t correct. Of course, if they’re just left to decompose that’s another issue and worse than just leaving the poo, but that’s why I advocate the same penalty for both.

project
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0EKfYlyqkM[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

Telling people to “flick it” is basically saying it’s ok to be a irresponsible dog owner
    Not in rural areas. And frankly I am totally fed up with everything being so bloody special in urban areas. I don’t give a whatsit. The odd plastic bag kicking around the average park is a drop in ocean from what I can see. Dangling from a tree in the middle of the woods is horrid and stupid. Why don’t people think? Grrrr Probably the same dimwits who I see riding their bikes in the winter with their kids crying because they have cold hands and no gloves or don’t understand that rural roads are not sodding footpaths.

W. T. F.

Sandwich

In the open countryside leave.

Don’t do this as some dogs carry a disease that (Neosporosis)affects cattle and it is spread through faeces.

Bag it and take it home. (If I offer you a treat from the rhubarb and ginger tub run away. It’s there to stop the bagged pooh stinking out the car).

Edit. Bloody woman is a townie with no clue, or at least not an Archers fan. (Ed Grundy had a problem with it).

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

As per the title…poo left in bags on the side of a path, or hedge, or hung in a tree will take ages to break down if just left and not placed in the correct bin for burning. If on the street or path bag it take hone or place in correct bin. If on Dartmoor Exmoor move to the side of the trail if you can’t be bothered to bag and dispose of correctly

failedengineer

A good place to start would be to reduce the number of bloody dogs! Realistic price dog licences, a limit on breeding (and breeds) and proper enforcement.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just bag it and take it home! WTF is so difficult about that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

Just bag it and take it home! WTF is so difficult about that?

Getting them to do it, it seems.

kerley
    Free Member

A good place to start would be to reduce the number of bloody dogs! Realistic price dog licences, a limit on breeding (and breeds) and proper enforcement.

I would rather reduce the number of bloody people. Realistic child licenses, limit on breeding and proper enforcement.

People cause me far more of a problem than any dog.

brassneck

Flicking it is better than bagging and leaving.

Bagging and taking is better still, but appears to be a difficult concept for some.

Davesport

Bag it. Take it home. Dispose as you would if it was done in your garden. Basic good manners.

Telling people to “flick it” is basically saying it’s ok to be a irresponsible dog owner.

Exactly. Case in point the access to Tyninghame beach in East Lothian. Owner got fed up with shyte bags hung in trees, dumped alongside the paths and in piles in the car parking area. There were sensible and polite notices put up asking dog owners to flick the shyte and not to bother with bags. The result now is that the paths are once again fouled with dog eggs. It’s an alien concept to some that if you own a pet dog you have to pick up its mess, the dog can’t do it itself 😀

[/Breathe]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Government to take action on dog poo in trees…’ is closed to new replies.