Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)
  • Huhne / Pryce sentencing
  • aracer
    Free Member

When you add in the costs they will have to pay, they will regret the day they started this whole thing…

I suspect there’s been a fair amount of regret on both sides for quite a while.

yossarian
    Free Member

Although the pair of them have acted dishonestly I feel some sympathy for both. It’s a stupid thing to have done and its very sad to see the breakdown of a relationship played out in public. I read the transcripts of text messages between him and his son. Horrible to read and I don’t really want to celebrate what is the destruction of their marriage and great personal heartache for all concerned.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t feel any sympathy for either of them 😐

I do feel for the family members who haven’t behaved like total arseholes but have been affected by the two that have.

But those two have brought it on themselves. No sympathy whatsoever.

chewkw
    Free Member

So I guess speeding will lead to the end of world … no?

yossarian
    Free Member

I don’t feel any sympathy for either of them

I’m not surprised

toxicsoks
    Free Member

rogermoore – Member

toxicsoks FTW.
    RM.

Ithangew.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not surprised

You’re judging me then presumably ?

Why should I feel sympathy for them.

yossarian
    Free Member

You’re judging me then presumably ?

I’ve formed an opinion based on my understanding of your contributions, yes.

I have no desire to change your mind. Or to argue the point with you.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Because they made a mistake ?

nealglover
    Free Member

I have no desire to change your mind. Or to argue the point with you.

Just enough to pass comment about it to get a response though eh 🙄

Jog on.

yossarian
    Free Member

Internet hardman 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

They both made loads, and they thought they were above the law, and its bitten them on the arse.

But I still can’t summon up any sympathy, because it was all their own fault.

I’ll save my sympathy for people in bad situations that weren’t caused totally by there own actions.

nealglover
    Free Member

Internet hardman

???

Please explain.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They both made loads

😀 What’s that got to do with it ?…….does it make their crime more serious ?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    They both made loads, and they thought they were above the law, and its bitten them on the arse.

+1

About as much sympathy for them as I had for the Hamiltons.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

E_L, without getting into the sympathy argument, isn’t the Judge’s conclusion exactly the fact that they compounded errors and that made the initial crime more serious? Plus he specifically noted that Huhne had lied “again and again.”

So it does look as though they compounded their errors and the justice system conlcudes that this makes their crimes more serious. That does not, in itself, prevent sympathy, but that is an individual call IMO.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

E_L, without getting into the sympathy argument, isn’t the Judge’s conclusion exactly the fact that they compounded errors and that made the initial crime more serious. Plus he specifically noted that Huhne had lied “again and again.”

And ? So he lied. I intensely dislike Chris Huhne and I was calling him a liar on here two years ago :

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/harriet-harman-might-not-be-that-bad-after-all#post-1953673

and guilty of election fraud :

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/harriet-harman-might-not-be-that-bad-after-all/page/2#post-1953943

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/harriet-harman-might-not-be-that-bad-after-all/page/2#post-1953978

But it doesn’t mean that I’ve lost grip of reality and now think that he has committed some sort of heinous crime. Yes he got his wife to take some speeding points, but that’s all. It’s certainly less serious than Neil Hamilton’s cash for questions.

hora
    Free Member

Shes an idiot many times over however she should have received a suspended sentance. He deserves it. Perjury is **** serious. Idiot.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

No, which is why they wouldn’t have been sent to jail if he’d been honest in the first place.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Perjury is **** serious. Idiot.

How about paying attention and figuring out what he was found guilty of ?

nealglover
    Free Member

Speeding hasn’t really got a lot to do with this has it.

They didn’t get 8 months each for speeding did they ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ernie, it was a straight point! No question of your grip on reality, just answering your question about does it make it more serious. But the whole case seems to be based on two people who compounded an underestimated, original offence (swapping points) with an even more serious, but still widely underestimated offence (perverting course of justice). So my point is, that from a legal perspective at least, the errors did compound the serious of their crime and the judge, for his part, had less sympathy with both as a result.

BTW – I am not commenting on the original crime but this case is a lesson to all on both counts.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Ernie, it was a straight point! No question of your grip on reality, just answering your question about does it make it more serious.

😕 Why don’t you go back and check what my question was. I asked whether the fact that they had “both made loads” made the crime more serious.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ernie, why the grumpy face?, I was interested in your question and the response. Nothing more, nothing less. Not looking for an argument about it. But to be clear, in answer to your question, yes it would appear so in this case. In fact, that seems to be the crux of the whole thing, surely?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, why the grumpy face?

It’s a confused face, hence it is expressed thus : ?

But to be clear, in answer to your question, yes it would appear so in this case.

What, the judge said it was more serious because they had “both made loads” ? Well admittedly I haven’t read the judge’s remarks but that is so unlikely imo, that I don’t actually believe you.

nealglover
    Free Member

Why don’t you go back and check what my question was. I asked whether the fact that they had “both made loads” made the crime more serious.

Did you misunderstand what I meant when I said “made loads” ?

They both made loads….etc ….

I was just pointing out the fact that just because they “made a mistake” or actually “made loads” didn’t automatically qualify them for sympathy by default.

They made loads (of mistakes) and showed total contempt for the law in trying to “win” a personal battle with each other, while presuming they were just going to get away with it because of who they are.

And I said I had no sympathy, because it was totally their own fault.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you misunderstand what I meant when I said “made loads” ?

Well if you didn’t mean loads of money, then yes. What did you mean they made loads of then ?

Edited in response to your edited post :

OK fair enough, apologies, it wasn’t clear to me that you meant loads of mistakes. Yeah they made plenty of them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fine, leave it there then. We can both read the judge’s comments at our leisure.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We can both read the judge’s comments at our leisure.

You haven’t read them either ?

nealglover
    Free Member

What did you mean they made loads of then ?

Crossed posts. See above.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah I edited my post. And there’s no doubt that they compounded the problem – this is what happens when you dig yourself into a hole. But it is still not the reason why I intensely dislike Huhne. The speeding affair/getting the wife to take points was not that serious imo. And yes, I do feel a little sympathy for him, on a purely personal level. He has truly screwed up his life, with his kids etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

The kids I do have sympathy for.

Because they haven’t acted like self indulgent arses.

They are innocent and yet have been dragged into it all and suffered.

That’s who I’ll save my sympathy for.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

At the end of the day, they both made a decision they knew was wrong as they thought they could get away with it.

They got found out and they both still thought they could get away with it. I suspect they may have made the assumption that they were ‘above the law’. They have now found out.

Daft thing is that he was a serial speeder and got banned a short while afterwards anyway – suggests he doesn’t learn!

Anyway, they are both criminals now and that is a recorded fact. They knew what they were doing was illegal, end of. Do I feel sympathetic towards them? Not really. They played the system and lost. They have no excuse.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I suspect they may have made the assumption that they were ‘above the law’.

I suspect that they didn’t think they were “above the law”, the fixed penalty for speeding was a clue. What they appear to have thought was that they could get away with falsely claiming Pryce was the driver. Which was a perfectly fair assumption as there was no evidence to suggest the contrary, until Pryce decided to provide it.

IMO the 8 month sentence was correct and fair, what they did was wrong and deserved to be punished. I can however still feel some sympathy for the fact that they made a mistake which has deeply effected their lives, their families, and their careers. Their crime was not a wicked one which fills me with revulsion. And I’m not so perfect myself – I too have on occasions broken the law, almost always in connection with driving and car ownership. Luckily the consequences have never been that serious for me.

billyboy
    Free Member

My thought would be that the Justice System is so weak in this country that any offence against it has to be dealt with severely

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you’re not happy with 8 months then, bearing in mind that the maximum for the offence is life ?

aracer
    Free Member

Daft thing is that he was a serial speeder and got banned a short while afterwards anyway

Though to be strictly accurate, the offence he eventually got banned for wasn’t speeding.

asc73
    Free Member

always wondered why certain police/witnesses have’nt being prosecuted for perverting the course of justice,two cases spring to mind,hillsborough and stefan kiszko especially the later case when the whole prosicution lied or withheld evidence,bit worse then fibbing about who was driving a car that was speeding.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

asc73, agreed 100%. My thoughts exactly.

What a complete misappropriation of finite resources and failure to respect the priorities of a nation.

…and I can’t help but think he may well have already suffered enough through having the misfortune of acqiring an (ex)partner who’s evidently so vicious and vindictive.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s usually down to the standard of proof required I think – not that easy to prove beyond reasonable doubt in most of those cases I suspect. In this case Pryce conveniently provided them with all the evidence they needed to convict her.

I have to admit I didn’t know much about Kiszko – the wiki does have this little snippet “Kiszko also had an unusual hobby of writing down registration numbers of cars that annoyed him, which supported police suspicions” – which ought to worry some helmet cam users 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Huhne / Pryce sentencing’ is closed to new replies.