Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 223 total)
  • How to sort this one out?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Now I can stop worrying about money for 5 minutes, I’ve started to worry about women again! Grrr… Anyway…

Have been purposefully steering clear of women a little bit last 12 months or so for a couple of reasons, chiefly that my ex hurt me in a big way and I’m not ready for that again. Anyway… Have obviously met a few girls in that time, but very recently have met someone and we hit it off almost straight away.

Long story short, she’s very up front and honest, lets me know straight away she likes me quite a bit. Spent a while chatting to her, getting to know her a bit first, turns out she’s definitely right up my street. She’s as mad as a box of frogs (pre-requisite for me), evil sense of humour, very fit/active, pretty easy on the eye and errr… Well… She was out with a big group of mates for her birthday, but she spent most of the evening chatting to me.

Met up on yesterday for a coffee, and pretty much straight away she fires a curve ball… She says to me “I’ve got to let you know, whilst I do like you, you’re up against a few things going on in my life right now”… OK, no problems. She’s busy with work, sport etc. that’s all good. But then she adds (something she’s not told any one of her mates) she’s in love with a married man, who has been “threatening to leave his wife for the last 10 months”… :facepalm: 🙄

So yeah… How do I deal with that one? I presume telling her she’s fallen for the oldest trick in the book, and belittling her isn’t the done thing… Do I just need to make myself utterly irresistible so she forgets him, or just hang back and leave her tonnes of space, just be there in case she ever does see sense? Bit difficult you see, cos I already know in my head she’s worthy of the effort (I know quickly on these things), and I could definitely fall for her in a big way… Or should I just cut contact altogether?

molgrips
    Free Member

Get her to watch/read any of the innumerable films/books on that exact same subject.

druidh
    Free Member

Leave now.

He’ll keep her hanging on. She’ll keep you hanging on.

Think of it this way – you’ve not even been looking and you’ve found someone pretty much ideal. There will be more out there just like that now that you’ve opened your eyes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing you can do – walk away now to save more pain. It will not end well

ojom
    Free Member

Tonnes of space

Next.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Take her to see Fatal Attraction.

Cougar

Have fun, try not to commit emotionally?

Even if she gives up and goes out with you, if it were me it’d be in the back of my mind that I was second choice. And of course, her being with you could well force his hand…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Put on the Barry White and make her forget all about him….

(Or was that Fat Harry White?)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You are being played.

I dunno if you are the pawn or the king in this – but she is the queen. Tread carefully with your heart.

molgrips
    Free Member

More properly, just tell her straight how you see it.

“He’s leading you on; I’m your best bet, get it whilst the getting’s good”.

Or less directly – show her a hell of a good time and then point out how much of a good time she’s had without worrying about strings or being a homewrecker.

deluded
    Free Member

Move on and concentrate on your studies. That situation has mind **** written all over it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s not much you can do, unless you’re happy to be support guy in which case you’ll invest a lot of time in her and in return she’ll reassure you that you’re a top bloke who’ll be recommended to any of her single mates.

By all means be honest and say that you need to cut her off or risk falling for her. The rest is up to her. If she wants to know, she’ll be in touch.

PJM1974
    Free Member

and no-one in love with someone else is worthy of THAT much effort, take it from someone who’s had experience in these things.

Cougar

More properly, just tell her straight how you see it.

TBH, that’s good advice. If she’s as ‘straight talking’ as you say, she’ll appreciate the honesty.

molgrips
    Free Member

and no-one in love with someone else is worthy of THAT much effort

Don’t forget that many people don’t know themselves, especially in this area. When I met Mrs Grips she thought the douchebag jerking her around at the time was the one for her. Now the whole idea seems patently ridiculous. I did have to put in a fair bit of effort but it was certainly worth it 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

Move on and concentrate on your studies. That situation has mind **** written all over it.

By all means be honest and say that you need to cut her off or risk falling for her. The rest is up to her. If she wants to know, she’ll be in touch.

TBH, that’s good advice. If she’s as ‘straight talking’ as you say, she’ll appreciate the honesty.

All good advice

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers guys

There’s a part of me really wanting to do what molgrips says, and show her how good it can be so to speak. I kind’ve have done already (we had a great time on Saturday night without going into too many details), and certainly after 2 hours with her yesterday, she went from being a little cold and stand offish to being very cuddly and wanting a snog before we said goodbye. I did say the immortally cheesy line of “things are only as complicated as you make them” before she nodded, and nothing more was said and we parted.

Kinda feel that if I was given some alone time with her, we could really start to hit it off. But she’s busy (and busy still thinking about him no doubt at times), and she has said I’ll be lucky if she can fit me in more than a couple of hours next couple of weeks for a meet up.

Which leads me onto agreeing with what everyone else is saying…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

IMO druidh gives by far the best advice. But no doubt it’s not what you want to hear and you’ll ignore it.

So take molgrips instead

EDIT : “Which leads me onto agreeing with what everyone else is saying… “ Well done, you know it makes sense.

Garry_Lager

plenty more rides in the park mboy.

chutney13
    Free Member

See how things pan out. She’s been upfront with you, so you know to tread carefully. Wouldn’t agree that she’s the queen, not many queens wait ten months for anything.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would not advise walking away. Every relationship is worth the effort. Women are not a continuum, there is not a constant supply of good ones. They come about occasionally, and the really good ones are pretty rare, possibly unique.

pingu66
    Free Member

Pop it and move on. She’s already wasted an evening of your time nd will always be wondering about Mr Wonderful.

8.30 my place if Imnot there start without me!

mboy
    Free Member

and no-one in love with someone else is worthy of THAT much effort, take it from someone who’s had experience in these things.

He’s done nothing in 10 months apparently. She said she gathered up her self respect and actually told him she wasn’t being the other woman, and stopped having sex with him over 6 months ago, so I respect her a bit for that. The impression I got is she still longs for him, but has all but realised he’s not going to leave his wife (even though he texts her still quite regularly), and that she needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

I feel like I’m being tested, put it that way!

Being honest and straight talking are two very important factors for me in a potential partner. I’ve only just met her, and I know already she’s the most straight talking woman I’ve ever been involved with, even just slightly. We had a chat about why, and she has the same views as me on this kind of thing, that being there is no point in beating round the bush or lying about things.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Every relationship is worth the effort.

How do you work that out ? Plenty of relationships aren’t worth anything like the effort invested in them. That’s one of the major problems, ie, knowing when to let go.

Obviously it’s a bit different when commitments have been made, but this isn’t an example of that.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Agreed, the really good ones are awesome. I have one sleeping right next to me in fact.

But there have been a lot of women in the past whom I’ve thought were the bees knees, in retrospect they weren’t. I’ve been the patient guy in the past and got rewarded with little more than accusations of being a friend of Dorothy, certainly not the life happy ever after I knew I could provide.

So I just stopped trying to impress and let them come to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

will always be wondering about Mr Wonderful.

Nah you just show her how much of a jerk he was by being the proper Mr Wonderful. Situation seems ripe for it, it may even be a plea. An RFP if you like.

Get in there. It’s better to regret something you did do than regret something you didn’t do.

How do you work that out ?

Well.. of course one-sided ones aren’t so good. I suppose I meant every “decent” relationship is worth effort ie one on similar terms with merits for both parties.

This sounds like one of those.

druidh
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    there is no point in beating round the bush or lying about things.

But having a secret “illicit” love affair with a married man is OK? You’ve already said she has been deceiving her “mates” regarding this man. Do you not think that is a truer reflection of her character?

mboy
    Free Member

I would not advise walking away. Every relationship is worth the effort. Women are not a continuum, there is not a constant supply of good ones. They come about occasionally, and the really good ones are pretty rare, possibly unique.

You see, this is where I 100% agree with molgrips.

Most guys I know, as long as they meet someone with tits, who doesn’t detest their company, and puts out occasionally, that’s more than good enough for them. I’m errrrr… Well… I’m a whole lot more feminine in my approach to relationships, I hate to admit it! Probably why I was so cut up and hurt about my ex, who I really believed to be the one, when she moved on very swiftly. There is certainly no conveyor belt of suitable candidates, in fact I spent almost all of my time between 23 and 30 single cos I just didn’t find anyone that interested me enough during that time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then I would definitely take it further – sounds to me like she wants you to take her away from this other situation. Otherwise she’d not have told you about it. Sounds like a clear plea to me. I think I like this girl already 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    Most guys I know, as long as they meet someone with tits, who doesn’t detest their company, and puts out occasionally, that’s more than good enough for them

You have a very low opinion of your fellow man.

Nonetheless, it would appear that, despite coming onto the forum and asking for advice, you’ve already made up your mind. Good luck. I hope you don’t get hurt too badly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I hope you don’t get hurt too badly.

That’s not really playing fair to a bloke who’s just getting over a bad relationship!

Cougar

Heads up mboy, Molly’s moving in on your territory!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You see, this is where I 100% agree with molgrips.

Well that sorts out your dilemma then. Go with the suggestion which you wanted to hear.

Sorted 8)

dazz
    Free Member

Just my opinion,

Run away, I couldn’t be with someone who was happy to be a bit on the side. I personally would have trouble trusting them in the future, after all she’s proved she’s happy to aid this fella’s deceit already.

Sorry I just have an issue with people who have affairs, if you’re not happy in a relationship then leave, don’t mess with someone elses feelings.

mboy
    Free Member

So I just stopped trying to impress and let them come to me.

Which is kinda exactly what has happened here… I went out that night, couldn’t give two hoots about meeting women. I hadn’t even shaved in days! Bumped into my new housemate, was trying to chat to her, when up comes this very attractive petite redhead who butts in, demanding my attention, and basically wants to know me! Like I said, I was taken aback, but was calm and chatted a few moments before leaving.

FFWD 2 weeks, and now she’s a bit more sober, we get chatting… And she tells me pretty much straight away, she really fancies me! So I spent the next 4 hours or so, mainly chatting with her, and realised she and I had a lot in common.

But having a secret “illicit” love affair with a married man is OK? You’ve already said she has been deceiving her “mates” regarding this man. Do you not think that is a truer reflection of her character?

That much I don’t know… All I’ll say is we all do stupid things when we’re in love. I’ve certainly lied for ex GF’s when they were totally unreasonable to me in front of my friends/family, done it several times in fact. When we’re in love with someone, I think we will make exceptions to our normal behaviour for the other person. I think she genuinely is honest, I just think she’s let herself get led astray slightly, and that in 5 years time she’ll look back on the married guy with disgust.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’m changing my earlier opinion.

You are a sucker.

Good luck.

Really you should be out “hunting” for what you want / need. Not sitting on your lardy ass waiting for some reject to have you as second best.

#Edit – Meant in a nice way.

mboy
    Free Member

Nah you just show her how much of a jerk he was by being the proper Mr Wonderful. Situation seems ripe for it, it may even be a plea. An RFP if you like.

Get in there. It’s better to regret something you did do than regret something you didn’t do.

Yes… I agree in principle… But…

I’ve always been “too nice” or come across as a bit needy in the past. I’m not needy, just don’t see the point in playing games and would rather just see someone ASAP if I like them. Whether I’m too nice or not, well, I personally don’t think that too nice should exist. I’m not perfect by any stretch, but I do seem to have met a lot of girls that like bad boys, to treat em mean and keep em keen, which I am not.

molgrips
    Free Member

I couldn’t be with someone who was happy to be a bit on the side.

She’s not happy being the bit on the side, clearly.

MBoy you sound like me in those respects (although I usually don’t shave for more than 3 days). You just be you and hopefully you meet someone who likes that.

Oh wait, you already have. What’s the problem again?

Life is too short!

mboy
    Free Member

You have a very low opinion of your fellow man.

No… Just some of them. Not everyone is the same of course, but I know a lot of people who have even by their own admission, just settled, and at quite early ages too. Call me old fashioned, but I do still believe in romance and true love!

Nonetheless, it would appear that, despite coming onto the forum and asking for advice, you’ve already made up your mind. Good luck. I hope you don’t get hurt too badly.

Absolutely not. Me airing my voice and where and why I agree with molgrips is literally just that. Me airing my voice. I’m listening 100% to everyone’s input here, and I’m very definitely taking everything everyone says on board. I’ve cocked up before more often than not by following my heart, I should probably have listened to other people’s advice more in the past. I would like to believe this girl is worth it, but being rational, she’s probably not worth it until she realises what a dick the other bloke is and forgets about him totally, and then sees what she’s missing in me.

molgrips
    Free Member

See I think the cockups you make by NOT following your heart are cockups you need to make.

What else is there to follow? Can’t see how it’d work any other way to be honest.

she’s probably not worth it until she realises what a dick the other bloke is and forgets about him totally, and then sees what she’s missing in me.

Yeah but she won’t realise that until you take the initiative. She’s all but asking you to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 223 total)

The topic ‘How to sort this one out?’ is closed to new replies.