Home Forums Bike Forum How to fit dropper to Giant Revolt Advanced Frame 2023

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How to fit dropper to Giant Revolt Advanced Frame 2023
  • fpdave

Bought the Revolt frame only as my previous frame (10+ years Kenesis TRipster ATR Ti) had developed a rather terminal looking crack around the BB  welds ( I will try and get it welded up).  It was also rather stiff for the gnarmac riding I tend to do.

I have bought a PMW dropper for it (reasonably light, decent price)

I was hoping I might be able to fit it myself, using the “spare” cable hole at the front, and I can feed a cable as far as the BB, but thats where it and I get stuck!  Obviously its got an annoying press fit BB!!

I was hoping to use the rubber grommet on the BB underside to help feed the cable up the seat tube, but cant figure out how to get that off without damaging paintwork (anymore :-( )

BTW, the Giant Revolt is a lovely ride on rough stuff, not as progressive geometry as some, and that painy job is wonderful, especially in the sun!

Any advice?  or do I just need to get my LBS to do it?Clipboard Image (19)Clipboard Image (17)

davy90
    Free Member

I managed to remove the BB grommet with a small flat bladed screwdriver. I probably damaged the paint.

I gave up trying to replace the front mech cable and took it to the LBS..

Rich_s

Surely it’s just a job of pulling the crank off and pressing one side of the BB out? Then you’ll be able to see the holes in the “tubes” and pass the cable outer through. If it’s tight, you might need to leave the central tube out of the PF BB but generally Giants have quite roomy bottom brackets.

Or, wireless dropper.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I think you will need to take the press fit BB out to see what you’re doing to get the cable through. Then fit a new BB.

Looks a very nice bike. I have one on order. I don’t think I will fit a dropper just big tyres for increased comfort/grip/cornering.

RichBowman

Nice bike – I had one built up from a frameset.

From what I remember, that lower plastic grommet is ‘just’ a cable guide for the mechs. I don’t recall it allowing any access.

I think it’s a BB out job…

fpdave

Cheers for all the comments.

I couldn’t get the grommet fully off but I think @RichBowman, you are correct as it seems to have plastic behind it.

Oh, well, another trip to the LBS.

I didnt have a dropper before, but then i had a quick release on the seat pin for really steep gnarly stuff.
    Annoyingly this frame doesnt support a quick release stem clamp, so i think a dropper is called for.

I do have a dropper on my MTB tho, and its really useful.  I am basically a roady and so a bit pathetic at going down steep rough stuff and I ride with a load of MTBers (MTB and gravel) who are very good at it!

It will also allow me to ride with my saddle in the optimum position for pedalling efficiency when I dont need to drop the saddle, rather 3.5cm lower than on my road bike.  So, I Think the extra weight might actually be worth it.

davy90
    Free Member

It definitely comes out if you loosen the front mech cable (assuming it is mechanical), not sure it will help though having watched this

iainc

i put a Reverb AXS on mine, no cable routing to worry about… :)

wors

Out of interest, how easy/hard was it to build up the frameset with regards the internal routing for the brakes/derailleur?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.