Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)
  • How pathetic a middle-aged man are you?
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

With regard to TJ..I kinda get the LLB comparison (it’s the cravat..innit) ..however I think he is going for the “Sean Bean at a luvvies gathering” look ..and to be fair he quite suits it .
    What he is not telling is that he was 21 years old at the time ..😉😁

perchypanther
    Free Member

With regard to TJ….

Let’s face it.

It’s not hard to look suave when you’re stood next to a dude in a too small, leather waistcoat and a bum bag. 😉

kcr
    Free Member

hodgynd
    Free Member

Long may I still leap like a gibbon…😂

trustysteed

@cougar Leeds/Harrogate area. I’ve tried looking for local MTB groups, but it all seems to be roadie groups around here.

@raybanwomble
    I appreciate your words. Perhaps I’ll start my own local MTB group or something. The previously mentioned bike shop does rides from the shop, but the thought of joining one terrifies me!

They’ll be all like “Hey dude, let’s pull some sick moves on the berms* and loam* and then drop some edits”, and I’ll be like “Errm, I just wanna go MTB’ing on some nice paths and tracks and maybe upload a short video of my unexciting adventures later”.

*I have no idea what these are, but I see them mentioned a lot. A berm sounds like a type of small rodent.

wingnuts

This sparked an interesting conversation in our house last night. I share all the above symptoms. 64 a few weeks ago with average fitness but bald and bit overweight. So George Clooney is an extreme aspiration. I can accept that Matt Lucas is probably more realistic.
    Anyway I asked my (wonderful, intelligent, fit and considerably younger) wife who I compared with and she said a younger Kirk Douglas. We discussed and compared the merits of my flab and his athletic prowess and she said the most seductive features about any man start with the twinkle in the eyes. Get that right and you can get away with a lot apparently.
    My pathetic defence strategy will be to issue any younger pretenders coming into the house with dark sunglasses from now on!

theteaboy
    Free Member

The TV show Teachers came out when I was 21 and I remember loving it. These teachers were cool, mature and how I aspired to be.

Watching it again this week, they’re pathetic borderline alcoholic perverts.

My wife pointed out that they hadn’t changed but I had. I’m old 😲.

The soundtrack is still great though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

48 next month, my Mum brings me a cuppa every workday morning, most days I can get away without speaking to anyone at work and I can only reminisce about when I was one of the Top 5 Big Hitters on this very forum.

I’d say I’m doing alright.

weeksy

48 next month, my Mum brings me a cuppa every workday morning

I’m hoping thats “as she walks past my house on the way to pick up the morning paper”

rather than “while she also tucks me in at night with my blanket and a kiss on the cheek”

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Is Weeksy jealous I wonder!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I wouldn’t blame him, I bet He has to open his own curtains in the morning!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yep,mid fiffties here,achieved very little and starting to creak a bit.I still notice the young ladies walking past and the dagger in your eyes look I sometimes get.I also find modern Britain utterly repulsive.It’s loud,selfish,violent and dishonest/greedy.Either, I really am a miserable old get or the countries gone down the pan.Feel free to tell me.

binners

Both?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Explain how I,m wrong binners.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I was wondering why the country is getting 20,000 more Police Officers.It must be because everything is going so well!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Anyway I asked my (wonderful, intelligent, fit and considerably younger) wife who I compared with and she said a younger Kirk Douglas. We discussed and compared the merits of my flab and his athletic prowess and she said the most seductive features about any man start with the twinkle in the eyes. Get that right and you can get away with a lot apparently

This.

Older blokes who are happy and fun are hard to find – women place a huge emphasis on it. And it explains exactly why the older blokes with a bit of “Cool Hand Luke” about them having younger women attracted to them.

Many of the women I know would be happy to go on dates with older guys, it’s just they can tell if you’re a leery perv who hates the world, yourself and everyone around you.

Be happier and more fun if you’re single and in your 40 or 50s. Basically get over the teenage angst and your divorce.

svladcjelli
    Free Member

I thought I was pathetic until I read this thread. Keep up the low work my friends.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

This….

monkeycmonkeydo

I also find modern Britain utterly repulsive.It’s loud,selfish,violent and dishonest/greedy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was wondering why the country is getting 20,000 more Police <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>Officers</span>

Just replacing a small %’age that Maybot got rid of.

FB-ATB

perchypanther

With regard to TJ….

Let’s face it.

It’s not hard to look suave when you’re stood next to a dude in a too small, leather waistcoat and a bum bag. 😉

I thought it was a Wurzels tribute act.

dissonance

Clothes that are 20 years too young for them? I tend to wear whatever I am comfortable in.

Cant that be the same thing? Given my fashion sense, such as it was, has been stuck for quite a while I suspect I will be wearing trendy stuff at some point soon unintentionally.

theboatman
    Free Member

47, third year into single life after 20+ years of a very convenient marriage. 3 daughters, 2 adult and one 12. Long story short, ex meets new bloke, amicable split, kids pretty good with it all, change of house’s but no major upheavals.

20+ year’s of nursing under the belt after coming out of the army. Still got hair, teeth and fitness, with no gut to suck in. Pretty standard issue bloke, not trying to be any younger or older than I am and happy with my lot. Enjoyed a move to a more 9-5 life. Had a fun and interesting time on the dating front, only issue seems to be I’m not looking for another long term partner, but outside of that I have been pleasantly surprised by what’s on offer.

Always enjoyed gigs, festivals, being outdoors, live footie/ RL, beer and have always incorporated the kids into this. Eldest daughter lives away, middle daughter lives with me (it’s closer to work…nice, ta) It seems the youngest will soon be joining me, as the ex intends to move in with new bloke, and the 12yo ‘ain’t up for that’. I’m over the moon about it as the kids have always been my main focus, ex not so much, but she’s set herself up for it. I can’t say I’m angry about the state of the country, other people, the neighbour’s or how much I’ve achieved/ not achieved. But I guess in terms of standing out, I’m pretty pathetic, but I’m happy to stay nicely average.

fossy

Average is the new awesome.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought it was a Wurzels tribute act.

I lol’ed 😀

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

+1

singletrackmind

Were you at a CAMRA beer festival. ?

Be more fun ? everyones definition of fun is different . I windsurf for ‘fun’ . 30knots + is fun. Your version of windsurfing may be 8knots , mill pond flat , drifting around. Its still windsurfing, you may be having fun , in that scenario I wouldn’t. in 35knots , yep I would be havin fun, you would be in the margins weaving baskets out of seaweed

Same skiing . Turbo puke blizzard , 1mtr of powder , sod all vis . I am oot all day . You would be in a chalet looking out the window waiting for the sun to come out and the piste bashers to make the runs all flat for you

I dont smile much but I have alot of ‘fun’ in my own way . I am just not wired to be the hostess with the mostest . I like reading , its not on the fonometer though .Used to enjoy trackdays , probably not ‘fun’ as they are fairly serious due to the inherrant risks

So what is the measure of ‘fun’ is there a list? Do these lamo things and women will think you a ‘fun’ guy and if you get a puppy as well you will beating them back with a big stick wrapped in barbed wire?

jam-bo

Who needs fun when you’re AWESOMZE.

Surf-mat is that you?

singletrackmind

Were you at an S&M fetish night at the local Legion? if thats all he was wearing ?
    pass the mind bleach please………

LAT

I go into the local outdoor shop and try on clothes in the hope that the ladies who work there will talk to me.

edit: I only try on the expensive clothes so they’ll think I’ve got some spare cash.

edit edit: @theboatman, that synopsis of your life sounds a long way from pathetic. Sounds pretty sweet.

martinhutch

No-one has summed up the predicament of the middle-aged, unimportant man better than TS Eliot.

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
    Am an attendant lord, one that will do
    To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
    Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

I grow old … I grow old …
    I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
    I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

Cougar

Be more fun ? everyones definition of fun is different .

The methods may vary, but you’re not sat at home all night watching Love Island and cataloguing paper-clips. Are you fun to be around, good company, or are you a miserable bastard? That’s what they were getting at I think.

BruceWee

Be more fun ? everyones definition of fun is different .

Are we about to have another 4 page argument about e-bikes?

johnx2
    Free Member

@martinhutch – perfect, but you left off the last few lines…

I grow old … I grow old …
    I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
    I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me
    No worries, my Strava time’s top three

On the day
    Out of the three riders who went that way. .

martinhutch

🙂

When the wind blows the water white and black.
    We have lingered in the segments of the Peak
    By E-bikes, wreathed with jerseys red and brown
    ’til human voices flag us, and we drown

madmechanist
    Free Member

What you need to define here is what is fun and what makes someone old..

I’m not middle ages but do I enjoy life for the most part ..not really.. I’m mutually competent with the way things are..do I have fun..sometimes yes..do I do stupid things to have fun ..well yes..but I live..

Do I fit in with my age group ..no ..I’m usually wearing cargo trousers,polishing and cycle shoes..am I comfortable ..yes..is it fashionable..I dont care..its just what i like and suits me..

Just because your middle aged doesn’t mean your life done..I’ve had some good laughs and felt pretty damn good with middle aged people..they are usually mature and have a good sense of humor ..what more do you need..

doris5000

couchy
    Free Member

Meh I’m 51 so grumpy middle aged man territory but my wife is 40, pretty and slim, my daughter is 6 and I work part time in my own business not stuck to a desk in a shit job. I still mountain bike and motorbike every week and still ride like a kid. Only my body telling me at times it’s getting old but tbh compared to the options I’m happy as I am. It does take some concentration at times not to be the grumpy old man though !

Cougar

What you need to define here is what is fun and what makes someone old..

Getting old doesn’t stop you having fun, rather stopping having fun is what makes you old.

tjagain

Diary of a NObody seems to be a manual for many of us. Definite Pooterish tendancies on here

Charles Pooter, his wife Carrie, his son William Lupin, Most of its humour derives from Charles Pooter’s unconscious and unwarranted sense of his own importance, and the frequency with which this delusion is punctured by gaffes and minor social humiliations. In an era of rising expectations within the lower-middle classes, the daily routines and modest ambitions described in the Diary were instantly recognised by its contemporary readers, and provided later generations with a glimpse of the past that it became fashionable to imitate.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m starting to fight against making a sighing sound when I stand up or sit down.
    Why fight it.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘How pathetic a middle-aged man are you?’ is closed to new replies.