• This topic has 76 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • How old is your computer?
  • phil5556

7½ years.

It’s a Dell Vostro laptop, i5 something or other.

I’ve put extra ram in it and an SSD and it runs better than when it was new.

It’s set up as a desktop now as the battery is no use and the only issue is the fan had always been so loud.

It’s run out of space so I was going to buy a new desktop to replace it but I just can’t justify getting rid, so it’ll probably get a USB HDD plugged in to it.

supernova

2008 Mac Pro
    There’s nothing to replace an indestructible workstation like that, except perhaps a slightly newer second hand one.
    Hurry up and release a proper new Mac Pro, Apple.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

For just one person I have too many – 6 PCs and 2 laptops!

Oldest are 2 Dell SC440 servers – not in use anymore but knocking on 15 years old!

Most recent PC is about a year old, and built with help from some very kind peeps on this forum 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

2-3 years, but it was only £170. A new SSD sped it up.

mattyfez

The guts in mine are relatively newish, but the case and power supply are about 11 years old.. I bought a fancy lian-li brushed aluminium case which in theory will last forever, and a top of the line 620watt psu that was about a hundred quid at the time, so that should last well too as my PC doesn’t push the power supply too hard even at maximum load.
    I also repurpose my old hard drives as storage drives since getting an SSD as the main drive, running 4 drives in total
    1x 240gb Samsung SSD
    1x 620/40(?) gb WD Black edition as main storage
    And 2 random 250gb drives as a mirrored back up for docs and music.

simondbarnes

About 4 months. Acer Chromebook.

dovebiker

2x MacBook Pros – 2011 and 2012

chewkw
    Free Member

10 to 12 years old desktop. First generation i5 but with SSD.

sirromj

Desktop 4 years old, bought shortly after starting a new job, went on Scan and configured something to last me a while:
    Quad core i7 4790K (currently not OCd), 16gb ram, SSD + HDD, Nvidia GTX 970 960
    Fractal Design Define case – built like a brick shithouse, big + heavy + black, sucks the light out the room, with internal sound damping stuff.
    Das Keyboard – cherry keyboard, alu top panel, sweet volume knob, no key markings just because.
    27″ Acer IPS monitor.
    Running Arch Linux with Win 10 in VM.

xora

One of mine, 39 years old 😀

fossy

Quite a few older PC/Laptops – SSD’s make them so much more usable.

I’ve got an old ‘mini’ pc in the garage for music, it’s got nothing on it, but because it has a normal HD it takes minutes to boot up (OK less than 120 seconds).

Main laptop is 5 years old – I7 4 series with an Nvidia GTX740m, 16gb ram, 1gb SSD, 1GB HD, OK for games still (although not at the res my son likes) but it’s fine when away from home. It still runs lightning fast, but games are starting to out run it.

Main PC is a refurbed Lenovo workstation, 8gb, but it has a Zeon Server processor, and a Quadro graphics card – it’s possibly about 7 years old, but we got it for a song a couple of years ago – swapped in an SSD, and the thing is fab for general office work, and internet – blisteringly fast (price new on these was £1500) – more than fine for general work – two screens.

Son has a gaming PC – about 4 years old but I7 4790k, GTX 970, 16gb, 3 large monitors -runs everything in HD, but he is complaining of slight ‘stutter’ in some brand new games now. He has to fund any upgrades if he wants, as he ploughed a lot of money into it at the time. He is into racing sims, so 3 screens look ace with the G29 steering wheel too. All I can hear now is the rumble of the force feedback and swearing as the race doesn’t go too well (he’s now 18).

1 x 6 year old HP Pavilion (upgraded SSD) which my daughter uses all the time for ‘League of Legends’ – still does the job, although the battery is knackered.

2 x I5 4 series ex office PC’s – 1 as a media pc for the telly, and 1 in my ‘arcade cabinet’. Both have SSD’s.

SSD’s have made a huge difference, and , unless you game, then there is getting less reasons to upgrade.

takisawa2

Dell Precision, M4800.
    It’s about 2 years old.
    The IT chap has just put Windows 10 on it, which seems ok.
    It runs Inventor quite well.
    No idea what size it is inside, has a 7i sticker on it.

parkesie
    Free Member

2005 Sony laptop it won’t die

sirromj

Feels like a good excuse for a screenshot!

fooman

Although not the oldest machine we have kicking about, my daily works laptop – a Dell Studio is circa 2009 – came with Intel i7, HD 1920×1080 screen, ATI Radeon (SSD & 8Gb have been added since) and I find the performance indistinguishable from my home 2018 Asus Zenbook that cost about the same… Used for development not gaming mind. What happened to Moores Law? Ok the Zenbook is thinner but the only real improvement is the Zenbook gets 8 hours on the battery while the Studio only ever got 60-90 minutes…

Waderider
    Free Member

2007 Mesh bought at the launch of Vista. Triggers broom though, everything but the motherboard and case upgraded. That said the spec is modest, dual core Intel processor, maxed out at 4gb ram, 1GB graphics card, 3 spinny hard drives, two parallel one serial. Serial drive has XP to run legacy software (Autocad, Silent Hunter III), another drive Ubuntu 16.05LTS which is nice and stable, and the last drive I keep putting modern distros on to see how they run.

The secret to long life is cleaning dust out of them and knowing how to reinstall OSs.

MrOvershoot

8 year old 17.3″ Samsung Laptop i5 2410M with 8Gb of ram
    Main drive is now an SSD drive with the original in a caddy in place of the optical drive.
    Its still running as sweet as a nut apart from the keyboard that succumbed to spilt coffee so have a USB one plugged in.
    Thinking about a new one but its only at the thinking stage 😉

Do have a 2016 gaming PC upstairs that’s pretty hi spec and an older 2007 desktop out in the workshop that runs through an older Samsung smart TV

mattyfez

I ‘upgraded’ my nans pc with a cheap ssd, it was running a duel core s775 chip, so a tenner for a quad core from Cex, and a a few more quid for an extra stick of ddr2 RAM. It was on its knees before but it absolutely flies now, but then it’s only used as Web browsing /media machine.

tjagain

About ten years old? Never been inside the case. Its struggling now tho

molgrips
    Free Member

My daughter is still using my 10 year old HP HDX18 with SSD. Celeron dual core 1.8GHz I think and 4GB RAM. Runs W10 and Office 365 a treat. Except for the cracked plastic case and missing/worn keys it’s like new. Better in fact, since it came with Vista!

mechanicaldope

Cougar

Subscriber
    Dell Studio 1735 laptop, August 2008 vintage. Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, cost me £800

Snap. Although mine is now very, very slow.

CountZero

Last of the 2010 Mac Minis, optical drive swapped out for a second drive. That drive failed a month ago, sadly, the WD My Book I was using as my Time Machine backup, has been misbehaving, which has meant my iTunes library, which was about 220 Gb, is now only about 100 Gb, that’s all that could be restored.
    Thankfully, I’ve kept all of my cd’s, plus the DVD’s full of ripped music a mate has given me, and all of the sampler cd’s from The Word, Uncut and Mojo, so it’s just a long-winded process of re-ripping the cd’s.
    Why not put all my music into Apple Music, then just download it all again? I would, if the highest bitrate available was 320Kb, or better still, Lossless, but it’s 256Kb, and I rip everything at 320, I’m not prepared to downgrade the quality further.
    Oh, I’ve also got an Apple PowerBook somewhere around 2005, a G4. Haven’t used it for years, it needs a new battery, but otherwise still works fine, looks brand new.
    Place I used to work at, their studio was still using a couple of old Mac desktop towers, somewhere areound 2000/2001 vintage, the anthracite/clear ones, as servers, and there was a Bondi blue/clear one from 1999 in storage. One of those was my old dual processor machine I did all my photoshop retouching on, until I got made redundant; it was good to see the machine still being used. My former studio manager and company director managed to keep hold of a couple of the Macs after the business finally went under, he got a job in the studio of the place I got a job at, and carried on using the old Macs for server work.

seosamh77
    Free Member

256Kb AAC is equivalent to 320 in other formats.

colournoise

Think my 17″ Dell laptop is 4 or 5 years old now. Was a reasonable spec (i7 4500U / 16Gb RAM) at the time and still handles my audio/photo/video (admittedly not 4k) processing with relative ease even without an SSD transplant.

Unless something falls over big time, I reckon it will see me another couple of years at least.

Might help I mostly run Linux rather than Windows?

Daffy

8 year old VAIO. If they still made them, I’d buy a replacement, but they don’t, so I’m keeping it until it dies.

jam-bo

About ten years old? Never been inside the case. Its struggling now tho

its probably chock full of dust…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

2008 Mac Pro
    There’s nothing to replace an indestructible workstation like that, except perhaps a slightly newer second hand one.
    Hurry up and release a proper new Mac Pro, Apple.

I felt like that until I saw the new Mac mini spec.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Desktop about 7 years old. 8g ram 500 g hd. 128ssd. I5. Going turn into server by adding a 2* 4tb for mirrored raid.

Laptop 1 year old. I7 32gb ram. 500gb hybrid hd. Once I have server sorted this will get a 2tb SSD.

Cougar

Snap. Although mine is now very, very slow.

Two things.

1) SSD and a wipe / reinstall of Windows 10.

2) Is the fan also running full tilt constantly and it’s shutting off under heavy load? I had mine in bits many times to clean out the fan over the course of a few months a good while back, but it always looked clear. Then one time I saw a bit of fluff sticking out from between the fan and the external heat sink vent, picked at it carefully with tweezers and extracted a hitherto-unnoticed ball of fluff the size of my thumb.

benp1

I have a little Asus X102BA that is over 4 years old now. It wasn’t much over £200 when I bought it but it’s really slow now

I don’t use it much as my internet browsing is mainly via ipad

I could do with speeding it up but I don’t know whether it’s a poor spec (suspect so given the price) or something else and therefore whether I can upgrade it easily

Northwind

Keyboard is about 13 years old I think, newest part is about a year.

frankconway

2015 macbook pro

funkmasterp

Just sold my 2011 MacBook Pro as it hadn’t been touched in years. Realised I was using my phone and tablet more than the computer. No longer have one in the house.

MrSmith
    Free Member

18 month old MacBook Pro touchbar. I buy a new one every 3 years as the second hand value is still high and there’s usually a significant performance bump.
    Might buy a Mac mini and eGPU very soon as that can take 64gb of ram.

Rarely keep a computer for very long, did have a G5 tower for about 6 years though, was sad to see it go as it so well put together.

Murray

Lenovo U310 – bought 2012, added maximum memory in 2013, SSD fitted in 2014. Pretty cheap and works well.

olddog

Two windows laptops. One is 7 years old and the other 5. Hardly use them though – pretty much for everything on phone or tablet

Rio

Our main home computer is a mid 2007 iMac with a hybrid drive installed, which is still sufficiently sprightly for anything short of large HD video editing. We’ll keep it going until Apple stop doing security updates for it at which time it will be replaced by an iPad or MacBook since the current iMacs are too big for the kitchen counter it lives on. I also have a trigger’s broom PC for games/video editing, the oldest bit is the Lian Li case which I think dates back to 2004.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘How old is your computer?’ is closed to new replies.