How old is your computer?

• This topic has 76 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by  Rio.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • How old is your computer?
  • Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Typing this on an 8 years old Macbook Air. My heart says I want a new one, my head says not until it dies. How old is yours?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

About 10 maybe 12 years.

Premier Icon st colin
    Subscriber

4 year old windows PC. Built for gaming, i5 4590k CPU, GTX1060 3gb GPU, single 1080p monitor. Still giving good performance on the games I play, but always tempted to get a new machine. No point in upgrading, the CPU and motherboard would become bottlenecks.

Klunk

the case is from the last century, it’s that prosthetic beige

whitestone

9yr old iMac – will be 10yrs in a couple of months. Still running fine.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

8 months Desktop, 4 months laptop.

We’ve got a 3 year old desktop at home for my Son to “do homework on” Frotnite mostly.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Just had a replace this year, previous Dell Laptop was 8 years old, had a good but very hard life and retired rather than clean out the cooling fans.

scotroutes

8 years. Dell Windows desktop. I’m thinking I might treat it to a SSD and a re-build as it now has 8 years of clutter on it.

Flaperon

Changed from a Surface Pro 2 to a Matebook X Pro two weeks ago.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

I’m running a 2012 MacMini, and a 2011 Macbook Pro at home.

Also have a 18 month old Dell laptop which is mostly for MrsDubs.

Won’t be replacing the Macbook until it can’t run Zwift in the garage. MacMini seems like it will keep going forever, so probably won’t replace that for a while either.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

Changed from a Surface Pro 2 to a Matebook X Pro two weeks ago.

I wonder if Beijing is enjoying your posts on STW 😉

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

2 x 6year old Mac Minis with 16GB ram and 500GB SSD plus 2TB harddrives. I could get away with less RAM now with the SSD.
    Both more than capable of all the art/photo/newspaper stuff I need.
    Editing 4K video is no fun but I almost never do that.
    When I replace them it will be with another Mac Mini.

footflaps

At home I have a 2010 MBP, still working fine-ish. Battery life is 2 hours rather than original 8 and track pad is a bit dodgy, but no real reason to replace it.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

trigger’s broom

I don’t buy *a* computer. I just change or upgrade bits every so often. The important bit is probably about 2 years old. The oldest bit could be nearly a decade old.

My macbook didn’t last anywhere near that. Died around warranty replacement time, and was obsoleted within 4 years, because it wasn’t shiny enough to use in Starbucks afaict.

rene59

3.333333 years old approx.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

PC laptop is 5 years old(HP Pavillion p189sa), this mac(27in 2011) is 8 years old now, phone(moto g4) is about 3 years old.

Stuck SSDs in the comps and upped RAM in mac to 20gig.

Battery is completely goosed on the laptop mind, it’s only runs off mains.

Long as they all keep running, this set up will last me another good few years yet.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

10 years, but I’ve doubled the CPU power, doubled the Ram, tripled the GPU power and storage and moved to an SSD for boot.

Really, desktops FTW

Bimbler

10 years, but I’ve doubled the CPU power, doubled the Ram, tripled the GPU power and storage and moved to an SSD for boot.

Really, desktops FTW

Triggers broom.

Running a 2012 Dell. Added SSD. Works really well for all the usual browsing, office stuff etc.

Milkie

Built mine 8 years ago! I’ve only added SSD’s x2 and Raptor drives x2 for on fly video processing of 1080p/PIP/effects. Oh I bought a cheap RX580 last month as I’m using a 4k screen now, my previous GTX670 did not support 4k. Buying a new GoPro this year, so I think it will need some upgrades for 4k editing, hoping it’s only RAM and GFX card.

UrbanHiker

So new, I’ve not finished putting it together yet. Unfortunately, I’m beginning to wish I’d not bothered, as it’s struggling to do what I bought it for. Opps!

3.5 year old imac. Works fine, if I had the luxury of plenty of work on I might have updated it this year but as things are it’ll do for a while yet.

CraigW

About 7 years now. Works fine for most stuff, though can be a bit slow for photo/video editing.
    I am planning on replacing/upgrading it soon, mainly so I can give it to my dad. He is using my previous hand-me-down, which is getting a bit unreliable.

I replaced my 2011 MBP last year, but didn’t really need to. I wanted something lighter. This new one should see me out I think.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Dell Studio 1735 laptop, August 2008 vintage. Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, cost me £800.

In that time it’s had an SSD fitted and a larger spinnydisk in the second bay, and I had to replace the lid in 2015 after one of the hinges disintegrated. It came with Vista, now running Windows 10 quite happily. The only issue I have with it now is that the battery is sodded, which is hardly a surprise when it’s been on charge pretty much constantly for a decade.

One of my better purchases, really. I’ll be sad when it dies but it owes me nothing.

kerley

9yr old iMac – will be 10yrs in a couple of months. Still running fine

Same.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

9 year old £250 HP Laptop.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro. Best model in my view so I’m reluctant to upgrade.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

First of the unibody MacBooks so late 2008, upgraded to 8gb ram and 1tb ssd drive, never had a shutdown or failure so no need to replace it anytime soon.

My work laptop (self employed) is a HP Pavilion from about 2008. The battery is long dead but the computer never moves. It has an SSD and a bit more RAM, has always run Linux. No reason to replace for now.

stumpy01

Erm. Not quite sure. It’s an Acer laptop, I either bought in 2011 or early 2012, so it’s around 7-8 years old.

It’s an 17″ laptop, i5 with 6Gb of RAM & a 750Gb HDD; cost me £550.

I looked at sticking an SSD in it recently but bought the wrong one, returned it & haven’t got round to having another go at it.
    So, it is completely as I bought it hardware-wise, although it’s now running Win10.

I use it mainly for Zwift, 3-D modelling with Fusion360 & slicing 3-D models ready for printing.
    And, to be honest it is starting to struggle. Zwift & Cura (slicing software) are both graphics restricted, so run in a very low-res manner. Fusion 360 is OK, but stumbles at times.
    If I could upgrade the graphics processor then i reckon it would be fine but it’s got onboard Intel graphics that I guess was never meant to deal with high intensity graphics applications.

Loathe to get rid though, as I don’t really have the spare cash to flash on something worth upgrading to – something with a suitable separate graphics card & plenty of RAM.

Oldest part (CPU) is a 2008 QX6850 married to some a 2010 vintage mono, RAM and PSU. The graphics were upgraded to a HD7850OC somewhere around 2013 or early 2014 and an SSD was installed a couple of years ago.

Keep getting CPU fan errors despite it working so suspect the board is getting a bit senile. I’ll keep it going till it pops then do a proper upgrade. The RAM can probably go into the all in one thats not currently getting used and the SSD into the laptop if I haven’t got rid of it.

I have an even older late 2004 Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop up in the loft still running Windows 10 but it really does struggle. RAM is maxed already and processor swaps would produce marginal results at best, probably better just getting a lighter weight OS. Hard drive is IDE so would need an expensive SSD to fit.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

squirrelking

Oldest part (CPU) is a 2008 QX6850 married to some a 2010 vintage mono, RAM and PSU. The graphics were upgraded to a HD7850OC somewhere around 2013 or early 2014 and an SSD was installed a couple of years ago.

Keep getting CPU fan errors despite it working so suspect the board is getting a bit senile. I’ll keep it going till it pops then do a proper upgrade. The RAM can probably go into the all in one thats not currently getting used and the SSD into the laptop if I haven’t got rid of it.

I have an even older late 2004 Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop up in the loft still running Windows 10 but it really does struggle. RAM is maxed already and processor swaps would produce marginal results at best, probably better just getting a lighter weight OS. Hard drive is IDE so would need an expensive SSD to fit.

you should just buy a new computer tbh. 😆

kayla1

My laptop’s about 7 years old, it’s is a bit wheezy now but is ok for the interweb and retro games. My desktop is a reconditioned one (£100 or so) with loads of RAM (8GB) and an ok graphics card. I bought it to run CAD programs on.

rocketman

computer(s)

6 month old Dell desktop does everything & goes like shit off a shovel
    2016 MPB with moar RAM. it’s OK if you don’t know what you’re doing
    Dell somethingorother ‘media server’ which is rarely used and spends the first 2 hours of any activity updating itself
    HP laptop that serves only as a reminder of how bad things could be
    Custom gaming rig with many GB which is only better than the new Dell some of the time.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber
    mefty

I am using my newest which is a small laptop which is 2011,my desktop is 2003 but is in process of being retired.

you should just buy a new computer tbh.

I did, I have a Lenovo laptop with an i3 and it runs like a bag of crap even after a clean install. Might put the SSD in when I get a new desktop build (if I don’t sell it before that) but not in any great rush to do so.

@cougar nice suggestion but suspect I may have issues getting something that size into a laptop 😉

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

@cougar nice suggestion but suspect I may have issues getting something that size into a laptop 😉

Ah. Yes, quite.

Thinking about it, even if you could fit an SSD into an IDE bay it probably wouldn’t be a vast upgrade over a HDD. IDE craps out at 133MB/s, I’d have to google specifics but I’d hazard that’s probably around the maximum data rate that a modern xATA spinnydisk would be throwing out.

An SSD would have significantly lower latency (and would never need defragging), but actual data throughput isn’t going to change much above and beyond any boost you’d hypothetically get if you could replace a 15 year old IDE HDD with a modern mechanical equivalent.

Kuco

5 year old MacBook Air

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

Home desktop is a Dell workstation that’s 5 years old – but it does have a quad core CPU, 64GB of RAM and a load of SSD storage so still feeling pretty snappy. Might get a better CPU in there this year but otherwise still happy with it.

Laptop I’m using now is a mid 2012 Macbook Air – likewise, still happy with it. It got a new battery a couple of years ago and other than a nicer display, the new ones wouldn’t do anything better for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.