Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 212 total)
  • How much does your road bike weigh?
  • aracer
    Free Member

I could probably lose a pound with different wheels but that not why I bought it.

Let me guess – you bought it to keep the sheep out of your back garden?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Let me guess – you bought it to keep the sheep out of your back garden?

We can’t all be short arses riding 54cm bikes then willy wave how light our small bikes are

asterix
    Free Member

this thread is getting to me – I have just been looking for latex inner tubes

sputnik
    Free Member

Asterix, me too! How much weight can be saved using latex inner tubes ? It obviously depends on ones current inner tunes. I’ve got some rather porky Spesh butyls.
    I suspect losing weight in the right places can make a big difference, and the inertia effect of having ones wheels lighter around the outside could be quite noticeable .

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Continental Supersonics weigh 50 grams, a Specialized butyl is around 100 grams in 25 c

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ride feel of latex tubes is great though.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

59cm is a gate now? You’d love my 64cm.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It’s just his short man syndrome coming out ormondroyd 😉

TheDoctor
    Free Member

6.8kg, without pedals 😉

7.2kg with more normal wheels 😀

Not bad for a 60cm custom Waterford!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

that is one helluva poverty spec indy fab!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

that is one helluva poverty spec indy fab!

Cheers, oh it’s not an indy fab but a Waterford.

I could go lighter and put carbon seatpost, bar and stem but that would look like i’m trying too hard 😉

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

What tubing is it TheDoctor?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Full True Temper S3 Tubeset, Tear drop top tube, Bi-oval Downtube.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

She sure is pretty, reckon I’ve got half a pound in the lugs on mine

TheDoctor
    Free Member

reckon I’ve got half a pound in the lugs on mine

Yeah, but you cannot beat a classic lugged steel frame 😀

njee20
    Free Member

We can’t all be short arses riding 54cm bikes then willy wave how light our small bikes are

Size really is a red herring IMO. I’ve weighed identical production bikes with a bigger variation in one size than between sizes! Yes a 64 will be heavier than a 52cm frame, but it’s not the pounds difference people seem to think.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Hi Njee, material is the bigger issue; the kit on my Jackson came straight over from a 58cm S-Works and the weight has leapt from 18.5 to 20 pounds by moving from carbon to steel

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon what are your thoughts on the ultremo zx, I’m running open corsa cx at the moment but they’re due to be be replaced. The ultremo or new open corsa sl are top of the list.

[quote] had ZX’s on my bike last year.
    Great tyres, very light but they’re very prone to cuts and nicks. They never punctured but they were definitely one season only. I took them off just before I did LEJOG, wouldn’t have faniced my chances on them for that!

I’ll probably get another pair of ZXs for this season but just be aware that they’re not the most durable tyre ever. Great in all other respects – grippy, fast rolling, lightweight. [/quote]

Not had them long enough to comment on durability, but to ride they’re the best summer/race tyre I’ve tried (out of these, Pro3 and GP4000). I’ve not tried tubulars, tubeless or ‘open tubular’ tyres so can’t comment against those. They only cost me about 2/3rds the price of a pair of GP4000S’ so if they last through the summer I’ll be happy.

I don’t race (or even ride as much as I used to) so quite happy to sacrifice durability for the sake of ‘nice’. If I was doing 1000’s of miles a month I’d probbaly pick some cheeper more durable tyre’s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ride feel of latex tubes is great though.

Are they actualy better than conti supersonics? I like the fact I can repair supersonics if needed.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

According to the bathroom scales 6.5 kilos,

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Lovely bike there TheDoctor, very classy wheels!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not tried conti supersonic tubes as I’ve read they aren’t very durable. Don’t know if thats true or not.

2orangey4crows

About 8.3kgs. That’s with mountain bike pedals, a terrible seatpost (since changed to Thomson) and heavy wheels (1.9kg). Groupset is Rival, stem & bars are EA50.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not tried conti supersonictubes as I’ve read they aren’t very durable. Don’t know if thats true or not.

Not tried conti supersonic latex[/i] tubes as I’ve read they aren’t very durable. Don’t know if thats true or not.

Guess they’re probably quite similar. Given that ‘latex’ (even 100% natural is usualy only a few percent out of a tree) is usualy (or a significant protion) butadiene, which is also the main component of tyre rubber (I think, used to work on a chemical plant making the stuff, but just the chemical, not the end product).

njee20
    Free Member

Not tried conti supersonic tubes as I’ve read they aren’t very durable. Don’t know if thats true or not.

I used Supersonic tubes with some Fusion 2s for quite a while and didn’t have any real problems.

My tube of choice is the Spesh Turbo – a bit lighter than ‘normal’ tubes, but don’t seem any more puncture prone. Only a pound or so more expensive, and they come in a pre-talced bag too.

damitamit
    Free Member

fogliettaz, is that a FM066?

fogliettaz
    Free Member

fogliettaz, is that a FM066?

It is.

damitamit
    Free Member

Nice, how’d you like it?

I’ve had a FM028 for a year now and it’s been great.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

damitamit

First ride tomorrow, apartment a pootle up the road to check everything works. I have had an FM001 for the last 4 years which will be up for sale. I also have an MTB frame from the same supplier, they are all good.

trickydisco
    Free Member

pahh.. 64!.. 72 is where it’s at

(tooTall’s bike)

TiRed

Alloy TCR with Ultegra 6600 and Ksyrium Elite wheels weighs just over 8 kilos. Will replace the alloy bars with carbon, carbon/alloy fork with a full carbon one and some nicer KEO blade pedals. And that’s about it for weight saving. Frame is 1400g, the same weight as my former Ti Merlin with Centaur. Target would be 7.3 kilos. But it does include a 20g power meter now.

Rider needs to shed a little too (11st at the moment)

EDIT: and since we are weighweenying, the Elite wheels don’t require rim tape, and the tubes are 50g Continentals. Tyres are Mavic, about 200g each. There is only one bottle cage and I’ve just bought a carbon 28g Bonty one. Normal saddle is a Flite Ti, but I also have the carbon shell of an old SLR with Ti rails that weighs only 130g.

EDIT2:

Ultremo ZX to replace my Durano S

saves only 100g in total. Same as the tubes.

EDIT3: My low-grade steel fixed wheel Kona Paddy Wagon road bike is 9.8 kilos with full SKS mudguards and custom wheels. That’s lighter than stock and feels great.

boblo
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member
    pahh.. 64!.. 72 is where it is

Yuk, that’s horrible. Sorry. 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

Not that light (but could be easily), but look what I get to have a go on tomorrow… 😛

Just superb!

We’ve got a customer who’s after a high end road bike ATM, and wants (rightly so) to demo a few top end bikes first. So I’ve borrowed the above off our rep to take him out on… And of course I’ve got to take it for a spin first… 😉

Taff
    Free Member

My giant is a beast at 27lbs!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

27lbs…! Is the frame full of sand.?

sputnik
    Free Member

Mboy, that Bianchi looks stunning . Cost?

Taff
    Free Member

Neilsonwheels – may have had saddle bag on cant remember but using bathroom scales that’s what it came out as. It’s heavier than my epic so about right.

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy, that Bianchi looks stunning . Cost?

I’m sorry to report, its one of those “if you have to ask” prices…

£7500

Not cheap!

Can tell you after 35 miles on it today though, it’s certainly the nicest road bike I’ve ridden by some distance. I even quite liked the Campy Super Record despite the position of the thumb shifters being not very intuitive (compared to Shimano) in my eyes.

Oh, and it’s bang on 6.8kg without pedals. Or 7kg with Look Keo Carbon Blades fitted.

boblo
    Free Member

Campag old boy. This is the United Kingdom.

oldgit
    Free Member

No idea 😐

Light, but it has to stand up to very working class racing. here’s a section of the second road race this month,

Might need some 28’s

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘How much does your road bike weigh?’ is closed to new replies.