Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)
  • How much does your road bike weigh?
  • flange
    Free Member

Righty – I’ll give Rob a call tonight. And start selling some stuff…

asterix
    Free Member

asterix – Member

@thisisnotaspoon

just weighed my CAAD4 R500 and measured 9.1 kg

it does have two bottle cages and a computer/watch on it, but I’d love to work out where the rest of the excess is. It has a 105 groupset. Do you have carbon seatpost. bars etc – I dont. How to find those extra kgs?

thisisnotaspoon- Member
    Little bits everywhere.

Carbon (Canyon) post, alu (ritchey WCS) bar and stem
    1300g wheelset (stans alpha without stickers to keep the ‘looks cheep’/sleeper illusion)
    FSA carbon chainset
    DA7800 groupset
    Planet X brakes
    Ultremo ZX tyres
    Conti supersonic tubes

I paid £300 for the whole bike with tiagra s/h in 2004, then spent about £900 to lose the weight. The onyy standard bits are the frame and fork. I started by stripping and weighing each components, then seeing how much weight I could squeeze off without going silly, the criteria was it had to cost less in total than a new CAAD10 105 whilst manageing to be significantly lighter.

Cheers. I suppose I do have a steel seat post and a (very comfy) Brookes saddle that could be changed out to lose a pound or two. Also got winter tyres on just at the moment too, so that might help once spring really sets in

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tyres and tubes do seem to make the most difference, both on the scales and to feel.

But I was plesently suprised how light it feels even with older heavy wheels and winter tyres despite being ‘only’ about 3lb lighter than it was when new (4lb in the complete new build). Although an equal ammount of that feel probably comes from better quality bits like the comfier seatpost, stiffer stem, better shaped bars, nicer tape, fresh gears etc as well as the weight loss.

brakes
    Free Member

FYI, my pedals weigh 262g

frazered
    Free Member

triban 3 – 10.5kg

rusty90
    Free Member

only had to purchase the frame as all other parts found in boxes in the attic

Damn, I wish I had an attic like that!

asterix
    Free Member

FYI my saddle and seatpost weigh 500g in total

sputnik
    Free Member

Brakes FYI my pedals weigh 227 grams 😉

matttromans
    Free Member

I don’t understand. Why give the weight ‘without pedals’….they’re an essential part of the bike! I get the stipulation of ‘with mudguards/bottles/garmin etc….but without pedals?! Yeah, my bike weighs 5kg…without the wheels.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Not a great looker but rides nice! As above 15.51lbs or 7035g.

njee20
    Free Member

Brakes FYI my pedals weigh 227 grams

FYI both of you, my pedals weigh 195g 😉

I don’t understand. Why give the weight ‘without pedals’….they’re an essential part of the bike!

I think it’s basically because pedals are personal – top end bikes very rarely include them and pedal weights vary pretty significantly, so a lot of manufacturers claim weights without pedals, as many people will have a personal choice and weight likely doesn’t influence that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

don’t understand. Why give the weight ‘without pedals’….they’re an essential part of the bike! I get the stipulation of ‘with mudguards/bottles/garmin etc….but without pedals?! Yeah, my bike weighs 5kg…without the wheels.

We’ve covered this already, read the thread. Everyone has their prefered pedal system, you could use Shimano/Look/Time (heavy pedal light cleat), or speedplay (light pedal, heavy cleat). So shops sell bikes without pedals and quote weight accordingly,

It’s not uncommon for mountain bike weights to be quoted “without tyres” (or more commonly, the weight given without tyres, but without telling you it’s without tyres)!

[edit] beaten by faster fingers.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

ok, big guns….

9.5 lb’s

gary bike by botsholt, on Flickr

custom built beauty made up of the lightest stuff available at the time.

mboy
    Free Member

I don’t understand. Why give the weight ‘without pedals’.

Thought we’d covered that one on the previous 2 pages of this thread…? No? 😕

EDIT: Shouldn’t leave a page open for 15 minutes without refreshing before responding!

aracer
    Free Member

why all the weights “without bikes”?

aracer
    Free Member

…though if we’re going to pedal wave, mine are 164g 158g

(not my picture)

…I think I might win that one 🙂

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

those are ludicrous!

mboy
    Free Member

I win the pedal War!

Well I would, if I owned a pair… 😉

130g the pair… Silly money though!

racefaceec90

my new tarmac sport i reckon is about 19lbs at present (all standard kit that came with bike).

once i’ve finished paying it off,i hope to upgrade it with lighter stuff (funds allowing).

i know that if i had a bottomless bank balance,i could build it very light (compared to what it is at present).

edit i currently have some cheapo toeclips/straps pedals (cannot afford to buy clipless yet) so that is partly why it is over 19 lbs.

richpips
    Free Member

7.2kgs with pedals, bottle cages, and lights.

Pictured earlier today.

Not like this last time I was up here. by RichSeipp, on Flickr

Edric64
    Free Member

Mine weighs about 25 lb .The bloke who runs out LBS had his down to 11 lbs 😯

michaellivett
    Free Member

16.6 lbs with pedals and Garmin.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dirtyrider, what build spec are those Enve’s?

Enve 45 Tubulars with Tune Hubs and CX-Ray Spokes

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i Had to wonder!
    i built some exactly the same as that on mig70/mag170’s a few months back with white spokes.

thats a lovely bike build.

brakes
    Free Member

Michaellivett, who are your wheels powered by? Can’t quite make out the stickers.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

the front has a weird squeak, seemingly common problem, probably because the hub shell is not one piece 🙁

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

a squeak?
    never had that before.

Kato

My 56cm Spesh Secteur is a disgusting 22 lbs.

AND it’s a triple

Scapegoat

My Cube Peloton SL is a slightly tubby 9.74kg with mudguards, lights bottle cage, pump and pedals (PD A600’s)

Gary_M
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon what are your thoughts on the ultremo zx, I’m running open corsa cx at the moment but they’re due to be be replaced. The ultremo or new open corsa sl are top of the list.

Anyway my road bike weighs around 7kg helped by a slammed stem, which I find comfortable, latex tubes, and a 76g saddle. I can definately cut a couple of 100g though.

Kryton57

Bianchi Sempre Ultegra with 4za wheels at 18.9lbs.

Today my saddle started creaking on the down stroke, making me feel as first the BB had died until I located the source.

crazy-legs

thisisnotaspoon what are your thoughts on the ultremo zx, I’m running open corsa cx at the moment but they’re due to be be replaced. The ultremo or new open corsa sl are top of the list.

I had ZX’s on my bike last year.
    Great tyres, very light but they’re very prone to cuts and nicks. They never punctured but they were definitely one season only. I took them off just before I did LEJOG, wouldn’t have faniced my chances on them for that!

I’ll probably get another pair of ZXs for this season but just be aware that they’re not the most durable tyre ever. Great in all other respects – grippy, fast rolling, lightweight.

aracer
    Free Member

I win the pedal War!

Not when “the cleats weigh only 88.5 grams per pair”

anyway, I actually have a set of the 158g ones on my bike 8)

Kryton57

Oh great. I just bought Ultremo ZX to replace my Durano S.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

An Addict, its light.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cheers crazy-legs I didn’t expect durability to be a strong point. The do seem to be the ‘darling’ tyre of the moment and just want to check its not all hype. It’s for the dry weather bike only so durability isn’t such an issue.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Double post weirdness

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

20.3 pounds for a 59cm 853 frame with 32 spoke wheels, compared to my old S-Works its noticibly slower on the climbs but its buttery smooth.

I could probably lose a pound with different wheels but that not why I bought it.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

BTW unless you are getting down towards 4.5 kg its not light 🙂

Start with pedals

71 grams a pair

boblo
    Free Member

aracer – Member

…though if we’re going to pedal wave, mine are 164g 158g

(not my picture)

…I think I might win that one

Aahhhh but….. would you want a pedal stickered ex-paedo….? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘How much does your road bike weigh?’ is closed to new replies.