Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How much do people pay to have teeth crowned ?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I was forced to go private with a tooth issue as my NHS dentist refused to believe my tooth was problematic. It turned out I had a massive abcess underneath it. It has cost me several hundered to have this sorted out and get a root filling. I have been putting off getting the crown made and put on though for over year due to even more cost (most of the origninal tooth is still there at the moment, but will break in the end)as I have been told just doing the crown will be £700 – £800 in addition to what I have already paid. Is this a fair rate for a crown (given the root filling is done already) or do I have an expensive dentist?

Moses

I don’t know – but I do know that lots of people with teeth problems fly to Hungary or POland for cheaper dentistry, have a short fun holiday and save money. If you’ve other work that needs doing, check it out. But I’ve no idea where to look. The Cosmopolitan forum?

Sandwich

Your dentist sounds expensive. My last molar crown was £500 all in. It lasted a month 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

£7-800+ seems outrageous – is it somewhere very flash around Harley Street ?

I’ve just had the root done on one of mine today (privately)and so far it has cost me £140 and will be another £250 max when I get the crown.

Happy with that and I had a nice chat with my dentist about how much he enjoyed his 3 weeks skiing in Whistler over xmas, which he does every year with his family.

Don’t grudge him it in the slightest as he works hard, causes me virtually no pain and doesn’t overcharge. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It all depends on many factors. I paid around £1000 to have a root canal and crown fitted

Woody
    Free Member

It all depends on many factors

The main one being how greedy the dentist is.

When I lived in London, a dentist near Tower bridge was going to charge me £1500 for the tooth I am having crowned in the next few weeks. I went home to my old dentist who fixed it for £40…….18 years ago !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In my case it was a repair of a previous failed root canal treatment – 2 appointments of an hour each, titanium pins inserted and a build up with amalgam – 2 more appointments, temporary filling and white crown, 2 more appointments. 6 hrs of dentistry, several hundred pounds worth of hi tech stuff and a private porcelain crown which is a couple of hundred to make.

Woody
    Free Member

That sounds like fun 😯

2 hours so far for me, with another couple (hopefully) to go

cynic-al
    Free Member

£500 a couple of years ago in Edinburgh. Think this was private.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheer up – MrsSwadey found yesterday she needs £2.5k of dental work to sort out a tooth oming through in the wrong place.

Wouldn’t be so bad, but she spent the same on laser eye surgery just before Xmas.

I have not yet used the phrase “you could buy a bike for that!”

Caher

i need an implant as my tooth was knocked out as i went down some steps n my bike. I had a crown done on the NHS soem years ago and now this has failed thus the implant. So i am looking at the treament abroad option and its much cheaper than the UK private method.

kona_uk
    Free Member

I paid 490 quid for root canal treatment (private). As my dentist was struggling with the position of the tooth and I was referred to someone private.

Then the NHS quoted just under 200 quid for the crown which will be done shortly…

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

It does sound expensive, but there are crowns and there are crowns…

A very good crown will fit properly, with the margins fitted into the gum and the colour will match the surrounding teeth with the right amount of translucence so it looks like a natural tooth. A bad crown will have a gap at the top between the gum and the crown which will look dark, be a poor colour match and look obviously false.

A lot depends on the skill of the dentist and the lab technician to get it looking just right. Trouble is spending a lot is no guarantee that you will get a good crown, you need to find a dentist with a good reputation in the cosmetic area (assuming you want a good crown).

The price can be negotiated, I managed to get a decent pair of crowns fitted for £350, by paying cash and paying the lab bill seperately, but I did know the guy who did it fairly well at the time and was in the dental industry myself back then.

So in summary, shop around, ask for pictures of work they have carried out and see if you can shave a bit off the price, but if you want a decent crown be prepared to shell out a bit.

WGA

matt_bl
    Free Member

I had to have a root canal and then a crown on one of my molars. Up to the point of going to the dentist I spent a week holding cold pint glasses to the side of my face and fighting back tears every time I had something hot.

Doing it privately it was 180 for the root canal and 420 for the best white crown I could get.

To be honest during the week before I would have paid double or treble.

Matt

5thElefant
    Free Member

The Mrs had 3 done is Spain for £500 (about £600 with air-fares). They wanted £3K at home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How much do people pay to have teeth crowned ?’ is closed to new replies.