Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • How many letters are in the answer to this question?
  • ayjaydoubleyou

23 is valid as it’s the literal answer to the question, How many letters are in “the answer to this question”? It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

I didn’t see this at all, but now you’ve said it, seems a completely valid one (I would call this the smartarse approach though).

My immediate thought was – the answer is an integer (and expressed in written, not numerical form)… making a grammatically correct answer. ie “bananas” would not be ok at all. “seven” is grammatically correct but mathematically incorrect.

And then, the answer must reference itself, and therefore we can deduce that it must be a number that contains the number of letters – so this is where:

At what point does it say ‘think of a number that has the equal number of letters to it’s numerical value’?

you have to think it up for yourself.

Anyone know if there are any other answers that follow this logic? and what answers are there in different languages.

RobHilton
    Free Member

we can deduce that it must be a number that contains the number of letters

We, over here, can’t. 🙂

I got 11, and I’m neither right nor worng.

Greybeard
    Free Member

We, over here, can’t.

I see the challenge as “think of a valid answer to this question”. The question says “How many…” so the answer has to be a number. Try some numbers as see if they fit:

one, that must wrong, as ‘one’ has 3 letters, not 1
    two, (ditto)
    three, has five letters
    four – has 4 letters – yay!
    five, only has 4 letters
    etc, until it become obvious that the number is higher than any spelled out number.

I can see why 23, but don’t understand 11?

Greybeard
    Free Member

what answers are there in different languages

German would still be 4 (vier)
    French and Japanese, I can’t find an answer.
    Traditional Cumbrian sheep-counting would be 6 (hovera)

GrahamS

There are thirty-six letters in this answer.

molgrips
    Free Member

is ‘four’ a correct answer?

No, there aren’t any correct answers* because it’s not a correct question. It’s like asking someone to add up 1+ 4 + fish + blue. That’s why there is argument over it – different people are coming up with different reasoning to try and make it make sense.

* unless you argue 23, which is pretty peurile along the lines of ‘how do you spell ‘it’ joke we all loved aged 9 or so.

FuzzyWuzzy

Makes perfect sense to me, sure it’s contrived but you can deduce the answer with logic. You can’t deduce an answer to 1 + 4 + fish + blue, it’s not a comparable question.

molgrips
    Free Member

*You* think you can deduce the answer with logic.. but it’s logic you’ve chosen, which backs up my claim.

FuzzyWuzzy

OK, you’re right, it’s 42 – happy now?

TheBrick
    Free Member

All logic is based on your initial axioms if choice. That’s the entire basis of logic

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How many letters are in the answer to this question?’ is closed to new replies.