Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • How many letters are in the answer to this question?
  • wwaswas

I won’t spoil it with actual answer but I’m amazed that, even once knowing the answer, our house seems to be split between ‘yep, I get that’ and ‘no way could you ever deduce that answer from that question’.

So does being able to work out the answer mean it’s a reasonable question or would it still be reasonable even if you can’t/couldn’t?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Is it 1 or four?
    Actually not 1, of course.

DrP

23?

DrP

PJay
    Free Member

6?

Superficial
    Free Member

DrP? Or DrNP?

wwaswas

23?

DrP

Neither of those answers

Mister-P
    Free Member

I can see the thinking with four so I’ll jump on that answer.

maccruiskeen

I think it should really be ‘riddle’ rather than ‘question’

vinnyeh

four

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a feeling that 23 is going to be about as valid an answer as whatever smart-arsery the originator intended.

jag61

I can see 3 questions so three well 5. what do i win?

phil56

I’ll go with 13

Cougar

I have a feeling that 23 is going to be about as valid an answer as whatever smart-arsery the originator intended.

Indeed. It looks like the sort of vague meme that pops up on Facebook, multiple answers = lots of clicks.

23 is valid as it’s the literal answer to the question, How many letters are in “the answer to this question”? It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

“Four” is equally valid as it’s the first (only?) number I can think of with the same amount of letters as its value.

There’s probably other solutions you could make fit as well. There is (I think) 13 different letters in “the answer to this question” for instance.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I didn’t see 23; I suppose putting “answer to this question” would make it too obvious.

greencrisps
    Free Member

I’ll go with none.

colournoise

Ro5ey
    Free Member

16 ….. different letters

But 6 looking at it again

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

5!

funkmasterp

What’s the answer to the question? That’d be a fine place to start

Daffy

None – so, four. Or Zero, also four.

Greybeard
    Free Member

None – so, four. Or Zero, also four.

As I see it, number and the number of letters have to match, so it’s four. But it could be 0, as it has no letters, and the question says letters not characters.

sirromj

All the answers have been written on postcards, so there’s no letters, zero or none, so four.

andrewh
    Free Member

Four

136stu
    Free Member

joeydeacon
    Free Member

11.. the original answer is 23 I think, and twenty three has 11 letters. This is assuming that you ask the question twice, which is a bit of a stretch. You can then answer the question again which would be 6, and then 3, and then 5 and then 4.. so 4 would be the final answer if you took that approach.

mariner
    Free Member

scaredypants

either 12 or wot joeydeacon said

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

BigJohn

How many letters in a postman’s bedroom?

tmb467
    Free Member

Millions mate

shermer75
    Free Member

23 makes sense.

It’s great that 4 has 4 letters in it, but how is the riddle asking for that? At what point does it say ‘think of a number that has the equal number of letters to it’s numerical value’?

funkmasterp

500 plus VAT so 600

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

@shermer75 I was mulling this over on my ride home last night and no matter how I picked apart the question, I couldn’t find any logic that would suggest the “4/four” answer, maybe only for smartarse value. I’ve googled the question and a few forums throw up that four is correct, but I still hereby withdraw the four.

FuzzyWuzzy

I went with 4, the logic being “how many” is asking for a number and we aren’t provided with any further information to suggest a specific number so it’s logical to assume you are writing a number as a word as the answer and the only number which has the same amount of letters in it as the value of the number is four.

That said I can see why 23 works now others have mentioned it – that’s seems a bit more cheesy though :p

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I went with 4, the logic being “how many” is asking for a number and we aren’t provided with any further information to suggest a specific number so it’s logical to assume you are writing a number as a word as the answer and the only number which has the same amount of letters in it as the value of the number is four.

If you don’t overthink it – the answer is a number so there are no letters in the answer

wwaswas

the answer causing controversy is ‘four’

ie. four has 4 letters in it so answers the question accurately.

no matter how I picked apart the question, I couldn’t find any logic that would suggest the “4/four” answer

This is the argument being given here against it.

But also (my) logic dictates that the number of letters in the answer is also the answer, hence the disagreement.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lim x->(infinity), n = 4 where x is the number of iterations.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don’t overthink it – the answer is a number so there are no letters in the answer

That’s bobbins because a numeric answer can be written in letters.

Four is also a bobbins answer. The question does not make semantic sense. It may come as a surprise to learn that it is possible to write a sentence that is syntactically correct but has no semantic meaning. So there’s no point in looking for one; likewise focusing on one possible interpretation of something and claiming that as ‘the answer’ is folly.

funkynick

Four may be a ‘bobbins’ answer, but given the question as written, and without adding any additional punctuation, is ‘four’ a correct answer?

funkmasterp

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How many letters are in the answer to this question?’ is closed to new replies.