Home Forums Chat Forum How do I get temp insurance for car while selling?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How do I get temp insurance for car while selling?
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

Looking for some advice please…

Im taking delivery of new car on Wednesday. Need to insure my current car for another few weeks while I try to sell it. Also going to have some scratches and scuffs buffed out.

I can switch over my insurance policy to new car. Need to pay additional £70 premium for the remaining policy term which i suppose is fair enough.

Thing is, it seems my provider wont give temp cover for my current car. Ive also gone for the cheapest online provider – so no human to get advise from.

Had a look at a few temp cover providers but they want about £30 per day or £200 per month! Talking about having you over a barrel!

Any suggestions please?

windydave13
    Free Member

I found the cheapest way after using the 14 days my existing policy gave me was to take out a new policy and then cancel once sold. Think this cost me about £50 in the end vs the £500+ the temp cover was going to cost.

If you do this, don’t tell them it’s only whilst you sell the car as they don’t like the idea it will only be driven for test drives and may refuse you

maccruiskeen

Depends on how long you have to run on your current policy. I usually take out a new policy on the new car then cancel the old policy on the old car when its sold rather than pay a fee for moving an existing policy from one car to another. £70 is about a third of a years premium for me

Do some sums though – paying the extra in insurance and paying to have some scratches buffed – you want to be pretty sure thats going to make an appreciable difference to what the car will sell for.

downshift

But surely you can only use NCB on one of the policies? Interested as I’m about to be in the very same situation…

hodgynd
    Free Member

Try Cuvva ..you can insure a car by the hour ..there is an app to download on Play store or Apple ..

It might work out cheaper just insuring the car for the times you are driving it if you aren’t going to be using it much ..

Sometimes you can cover the car for 3 hours for the same price as one hour ..but be aware that the excess goes up if you do this ..

Worth a look anyway …

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks all!

Cuvva looks ideal. 👍🏼

convert

Thanks for the Cuvva lead – very useful knowledge for potential test drivers.

lerk
    Free Member

Though bear in mind if not insured you will also need to SORN the car and park it off road.

DVLA are quite hot on this at the moment apparently.

downshift

FWIW I’ve just spoken to my insurance co (Privilige). They will add the old car onto the same policy temporarily, up to a total of 90 days in the year in maximum of 30 day chunks. Not super cheap, but easy and convenient.

jackf

When I bought a ‘new’ car last, Admiral were more than happy to swap my new car with the old, then set me up a new policy for the temp cover for the old car. I’m sure 30 days was minimal cost, probably because multicar discount… They were very helpful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How do I get temp insurance for car while selling?’ is closed to new replies.