Home Forums Chat Forum Hotpoint washing machine door not opening

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hotpoint washing machine door not opening
  • ononeorange

Any ideas? It’s an elderly Aquarius, cycle went fine (apart from the minor power hiccup in the middle) but now door won’t open. Re-ran the cycle but still not playing.

Please don’t tell me it’s the end of the line for an old friend……

Mantastic
    Free Member

Did you wait 2 mins?

Many moons ago when I lived at home, my mum went on hols for two weeks. I used the washing machine, didn’t wait the two minutes. Assumed it was broken and had to purchase new work shirts. She returned and opened the door. Oh how I laughed.

ononeorange

No, it’s an instant-opener – and I have been trying for half an hour or so. Great story though!

globalti
    Free Member

Your door interlock is broken. Get in touch with a good repairer who might have an old one you can have. Belec in Bury are good, ask for Simon.

It’s very easy to replace and I expect there are a very limited number of models of interlock. See the small screw by the latch? That’s what holds it in place.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Unplug it (that’s important!), remove 2 screws under the lid at the back, slide the lid off backwards and you should be able to reach down inside the front and find the door release. Can’t remember the details but if you push the right bit of the lock it should open. Another possibility is a thin knife blade pushed in where the lock is.

Easy enough to replace the lock once you get it empty. I use http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk for spare and their forum for advice.

We’ve had Hotpoint machines for 25 years but the last one went to the scrapyard – one piece drum, meaning there’s no way to take it apart when the bearings go; won’t buy another. Yours may be before

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nuke it from space!

Probably not the best solution but I haven’t read it on here for a while

ononeorange

Thanks guys. Will go and try. She’s still running (OK, the bearing sounds like an A380 on take off) so I object to paying squillions for a new one that will die in a couple of years.

compositepro
    Free Member

mine has an emergency door release hidden away behind the kickplate at the bottom its like a manual relaese in case the interlock gets stuck

nickjb
    Free Member

Turn it off, hit it, turn it back on. Usually frees a sticky door interlock. Temporary fix, though. Change the lock asap.

Cougar

Is there a drain plug? Generally, you can’t open the door it if they think they still have water in them (for fairly obvious reasons).

ononeorange

STW to the rescue!! Thanks guys. Popped open at the slightest touch. Have emailed ukwhitegoods.co.uk about the part.

Brilliant!

PS no there was no water in. It must be the interlock.

project
    Free Member

Nextt ime try pishing door slightly near the handle and then pull the release gently
    also try http://www.cpc.co.uk for spares.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hotpoint washing machine door not opening’ is closed to new replies.