Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Horse Riders = Tossers too
  • CountZero

Both of my brother’s wives, (ex and current), have owned horses. Neither were snobby upper middle class.

My brother and his new wife when they got married last June. Hardly snobby horsey types.
    FWIW where I ride around N Wilts I’ve never had problems with horse riders, most say hello, and I always slow up when going towards riders, and call out and ask if it’s ok to pass when approaching from behind. I only ever had one problem with a spooked horse, when I called out to the rider who was in a world of her own and I made her jump, which made the horse spook. I apologised, but the rider said sorry, she should have been more aware of what was around her. It was a pretty quiet road.

RustySpanner

Apparently there’s as easily spooked as ramblers.

Hmmn, never had a rambler try to kick me, panic, then crap all over the trail before. Well, not all at the same time, obviously.

And the best reply to snooty female horsists is a nice, cheery
    ‘My God! Your bum looks heruuuuge in those jodphurs’

or

‘I’ve got an apple, but I’m not sure which of you to feed it to’.

I like horses.
    They’re very expensive to run, but delicious and surprisingly low in fat.

Northwind

I got shouted at by the lead rider in a group for going too fast, so I slowed down then got shouted by the rear rider of the same group for going too slow. But most horsiclists seem OK to me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never had a problem here in Softie Surrey. We’re all used to each other by now…

Me neither. (Had an argumnet down in the New Forest though…)
    That said, if you’re friendly and give the horses plenty of room I fing horsey people very friendly. More than once I’ve asked directions from them (they tend to know the bridleways…..) and never had a problem really

iDave
    Free Member

My dog loves chasing and barking at horses

chiefgrooveguru

The majority of riders I know are neither posh, nor rich. In fact ever since I started riding I’ve been surprised at how many fellow riders sound like they’d be at home on the set of Eastenders, darlin’. It is a predominantly white demographic but so is rambling and MTBing – possibly because the rural population of Britain is much less diverse than the cities.

Horses are inherently nervy creatures, with quite small brains. They’re rarely aggressive, they just panic when surprised and tend to bolt, occasionally kicking before they flee. Nothing like dogs, more like larger and brighter sheep. Very good hearing, so shout hello before braking and shocking them with freaky ultrasonic pad squeal that we can’t hear.

Duggan

The horse riders that frequent the trials where I ride are all noticeably more polite and cheerier than a lot of the ramblers and walkers I meet.

It can be a bit annoying if you get stuck behind them for ages but thems the breaks I guess.

As for passing them, I was told that essentially they don’t realise you’re people if you’re on a bike which is why they (and dogs) seem to get easily spooked by bikes. But if you talk as you go past or near than they realise you’re just a person and this calms them. Sounded plausible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do find horse spooked by bikes – however interestingly in Holland the horses I passed were not spooked by bikes or bike bells at all – must be habituated to them so there must be an element of training to avoid being spooked by bike possible

I find horses a pain when out on the trails because of how easily they are spooked and how dangerous they can be – however its rare I come across them and the riders have always been polite

Sandwich

My sisters horses will follow mountain bikes as they like the extra company. We ride together quite often and the red sub 5 horse is used to persuade them that the carrier bag or narrow track isn’t scary. One, sadly gone now, used to bite at my handlebar grips while we were trundling along at a fair clip which was a little disconcerting.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

My husband spooked a horse
    by riding a recumbent. The horse really didn’t like the look of it, just like a lot of other people we met along the trail that day!

supertackey
    Free Member

used to go on rides on my bike and my wife on her horse quite nice really.
    I have met plenty of mountain bikers on the trail who come across like total tossers. normally ones with all the gear and no idea. same as walkers, runners, whatever! you cant tar everyone with the same brush. there are idiots in all walks of life.
    apart from people with 5000 pound downhill rigs 300 quid troy lee helmets and matching race gear also a van with alloys and loads of stickers on it BUT THEY CANT BLOODY RIDE now they are abit shit.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Horse Riders = Tossers too’ is closed to new replies.