Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Horse Riders = Tossers too
  • IanMmmm
    Free Member

I was out this morning on my local trails in East Leeds (the flat and boring bit) unusually I came across quite a few horse riders – must be due to the improving weather. I passed one set with a cheery ‘good morning’ who proceeded to glare at me like I’d just called their children ugly retards. I then passed another group of three, once again with a cheery ‘good morning’ only to be told to ‘watch that mare, she’s a bit wayward’. Said mare then tries to kick me in the head and push me off the track.

Is it only me, or does anyone else think that if it was mostly poor people or black people that rode horses, they probably be illegal? What would it be like if the boot was on the other foot? Say you were out riding and you met some horse riders, or walkers and said ‘watch out for my mate, he can’t control his bike and he might veer into you and hit you at any time’, how would that go down?

Also they were all fat or borderline obese, so I feel sorry for the horses really.

Thanks. Rant over.

jon1973
    Free Member

Is it only me, or does anyone else think that if it was mostly poor people or black people that rode horses, they probably be illegal?

Does the same thing go for lycra-clad roadies?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve been told if passing them from behind it’s good to start talking before you do so and keep talking so as to not spook the horse.

Apparently there’s as easily spooked as ramblers.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Don’t even get me started on the regular abuse and threats of death I get from our horsey friends.

Nowt you can do about it, they have equally as much right to be there.

Wouldn’t hurt to try out a few manners to us bikers though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

“Black people” WTF?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never had a problem here in Softie Surrey. We’re all used to each other by now…

if passing them from behind it’s good to start talking before you do so and keep talking so as to not spook the horse.

Correct. And slow down.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One time NOT to use a bell – apparently it spooks the horse. 😆

crikey
    Free Member

Is it only me, or does anyone else think that if it was mostly poor people or black people that rode horses, they probably be illegal?

I’m really not sure what you’re trying to say here, would you care to explain?

keavo
    Free Member

so somebody on horse was concerned enough about your safety to give a warning about their horse. what a tosser:-)

Jeffus
    Free Member

I ride horses and mountain bikes, horses have a very small brain :-), that is programmed to runaway, they don’t have disc brakes and they can be spooked by sudden noises as said if you talk or just make them aware you are coming from behind this helps, its better than them being spooked and hurting you or the rider or themselves, generally a good rule of thumb is to dismount and push our bike on the side away from the horse,if the horse is being a plonker,some horse riders can be rude as can bikers, I had a near miss with a guy on his mountain bike trundling towards me with his head down listening to his iPod, I shouted and called and stopped my horse but we had no where to go, at the last second the guy looked up and cra**ed himself. My horse had a bit of a jump around, but luckily I stopped him from bolting into the guy, and no one was hurt,
    so please don’t have a go at all horse people some of us arn’t that bad. 😀

nickc

wrightyson +1

parkesie
    Free Member

YAWN

allthepies
    Free Member

“Black people” WTF?

No, seriously, they exist. And you’ll never believe this but the goddam president of the U.S of A is one of said ethnic grouping

andy7t2
    Free Member

if the rider is unable to control the horse then they SHOULD NOT be in a public place what happens if they pass by a young child who might make a sudden move or scream.

juan
    Free Member

generally a good rule of thumb is to dismount and push our bike on the side away from the horse

Why don’t the horse rider dismount and push the horse until the bike has passed 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Nowt you can do about it, they have equally as much right to be there.

Legally, they have more right.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

A while back i was riding around the back of Brown Wardle Hill & heading down a ribbon of singletrack that has since been sadly destroyed.
    Coming the other way were 3 women on horseback so i stopped & waited for them to pass.
    The lead rider stopped alongside me, rapped me on the helmet with her crop & demanded “Young Man, is that a bridleway ahead?” 😯

Fortunately, her mates had the sense to look embarrassed – i didn’t know whether to burst out laughing or drag the snooty cow off the horse…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Had the very same discussion on a motorbike forum a few weeks ago, funny thing is all the same arguments come out on here!

Have found that hope freewheel noise spooks the hell out of em though.

(horses not motorcycles)

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve seen all types of horse riders around Guildford. There are quite a few stables so you sometimes see inexperienced riders and/or horses. I find if you stop as they come towards you or ask to pass if you are going the same way it’s generally OK. I have has the ocassional verbal altercation but in the end we are all out enjoying our hobby so I find it best to live and let live. It’s too crowded round here to think you can have exclusive use of the countryside.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Sure, the point I was making was that the establishment think horses are ‘OK’ because they are riden and loved by rich and powerful people, such as, for example, the Queen and her extended family.

If they were predominately ridden and loved by a minority that didn’t have such as degree of influence, it would be acceptable to raise the question as to whether or not they are safe to be ridden in places where they might come into close proximity with people other than their riders.

Is that clear enough?

rubberneck
    Free Member

if my local horse riders are not blocking the narrow country lanes on the way to my local trails then i find them bombing through the woods without a bell,,,,,, its just not on,,,, somebody could get killed with them giving me a wide berth and slowing down as they approach,,,, bloody vandals.

@insert irony smiley@

glenp
    Free Member

We just have a blanket policy – we don’t ride past horses, we stop and let them ride past us. I they are going in the same direction we make sure they have heard us and ride dead slow a good distance behind until the horse riders acknowledge us and wave us past.

Not so difficult, and much more civil.

druidh
    Free Member

glenp – Member
    We just have a blanket policy – we don’t ride past horses, we stop and let them ride past us. I they are going in the same direction we make sure they have heard us and ride dead slow a good distance behind until the horse riders acknowledge us and wave us past.

Not so difficult, and much more civil.

I’m sorry, but you are being far too reasonable.
    Please leave this forum immediately.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

andy7t2 – Member
    if the rider is unable to control the horse then they SHOULD NOT be in a public place what happens if they pass by a young child who might make a sudden move or scream.

Well at least someone is thinking of the children!

backhander
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of horses or horse riders generally.
    When a dog behaves as badly as some of the horses, there’s uproar. If they’re dangerous and likely to kick somebody they shouldn’t be out in the same way that poorly trained dogs should be on a lead. I reserve my most choice language for snotty horsey types who inform me what I should/shouldn’t be doing.

wrightyson
    Free Member

To be fair good old Derbyshire has it’s good and bad horse riders. Same as anywhere I suppose, I try and be polite and courteous no matter who I come across. One thing that does grate me tho is hosreriders or cyclists who ride two abreast on twisty country roads.

tazzymtb

the horsey brigade that use the chase are usually lovely and we always have some cheeky banter with them. It always pays to be nice to people in different user groups as each and every one of us is an ambassador for the sport. If there are too many complaints or objections from significantly larger groups like the bobble hatters or horse riders especially then it could all get a bit messy. (obviously depending upon the land owner and legal access rights) Much like when the FC decided they hated mountain bikers in the late 80’s early 90’s.

rickmeister

We’re probably all tossers/stereotyped in our own special way… it always makes me smile how one act viewed by an individual then morphs into a blanket generalisation about the group doing the observed tossing activity…. Collectively we may be seen as Mountain Bike Tossers… as much as you may deny it, other folk will have decided thats collectively what we all are based on meeting a few of us….

See the information to support your view… confirm your perspective therefore its is true for the rest of the tossers doing the same thing….

Just insert the individual and focus of tossish activity into the following sentence, would probably cover all eventualities….

If the rider/driver/author/rambler/spokesperson/tv personality/politician (you an add your own here) is unable to control their horse/dog/car/red socks/bigoted or sexist attitude/pram/small child/litter/BMW/craving then they SHOULD NOT be choose your location/action ….

How about a bit of management bollocks to close…

We are all part of the problem and part of the solution…… thats why the access agreement in Scotland depends on and works in the main as people are being reasonable and looking out for each other…

But anyway, what do I care, I’m just a tosser with a mountain bike….

spooky_b329

As a couple of others have said…stop for horses.

If you treat them like walkers and just pass when you feel like it, you are going to have to expect some abuse. (though Pic N Mix is obviously riding like a prat to get ‘regular abuse and death threats’)

Walkers will jump if you pass quietly, a horse is no different…except that instead of shouting ‘get a bell!’ the horse will just try and escape, with or without its rider.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😉

I understand this perfectly. I do hope us brown people are included in this analysis though. 😉

The OP means that if ‘less desirable’ types were to ride horses in the manner that some white middle-class types do, there’d be an outrage in Royal Tunbridge Wells*. No, it’s true.

I have a lot of time for horse riders, and always give way to horses. In Epping Forest, where I ride a bit, you often see people riding horses. I’ve never had a problem with any of them. Quite a few nice young ladies in tight jodphurs…(back to the topic please Elf).

My understanding is that it’s considered quite a ‘Middle ClassActivity’. Some people can be quite rude, and inconsiderate of others.

I think what the OP meant, that if this were ‘Chavs’ or Darkies behaving in such a manner, Outraged of RTW would be apoplectic. I think this is quite a good point actually.

Discuss.

(*Token White Middle CLass Little Englander Enclave. Other pockets of bigotry are available. I am aware that this is generalising and possibly derogatory towards residents of RTW but… oh sod it you get my point)

tazzymtb

yep they’d never let ’em do it 🙄

grantway
    Free Member

You wanna try Epping Forest

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can’t see that image Tazzy. Tell me it’s not a picture of Oliver Skeet.

EDIT Oh I can see it now. It’s almost embarrassing. Every time somone wants to make the point it’s ‘not only white folk that ride horses you know’, they drag out an image of Oliver Skeet. ‘Ooh but look; black people ride horses too!’.

gwaelod
    Free Member

is ok to kick horses in the head if they chase you and try to bite?…it’s just my legs might not reach that high.

tazzymtb

Tell me it’s not a picture of Oliver Skeet.

Ok It’s not a picture of oliver skeet….it might be his identical twin though….or a stunt double…… 😉

tazzymtb

well my little elfin, if horsey types like using oliver as an example it just goes to show that not only is he admired amongst his peers but that he is a fantastic role model.

llama

I never have a problem with horse riders.

I like horses and have ridden a fair bit. I don’t tend to like horsey types, but I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m with Elfin on this.

I suspect it wasn’t meant to be derogatory, but the implication seemed to be that if ‘less desirable‘ Ahem, I mean minorities that didn’t have such a degree of influence, then it would become illegal.

Like black people or the poor….

As I say, I’m hopeful it wasn’t meant that way, but poor choice of metaphor…

Jeffus
    Free Member

My horse who is now long gone once pinched a mars bar, we rode passed a car and the girl got out, unwrapped her mars bar, and at that point my horse stopped turned and pinched it,very embarrasing , luckily the girl found it funny, now that was a horse out of control, she always had a liking for mars bars after that, and Guiness 😳
    I’m just an ordinary person who does not have much money , mainly because of my passion for horses and my passion for mountain biking 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Always find horse riders to be very polite. Wife is a good horse rider and trainer, iI have,worked with them. Maybe its just you that has the problem?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Horse Riders = Tossers too’ is closed to new replies.