Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 2011 ST4: Over Excited new bike gushing
  • Mal-ec
    Free Member

Took the new ST4 up to Brechfa for a scoot round the Black on pretty dry, fast trails in the sun.
    I’ve been impressed with it everywhere I’ve ridden so far, but it properly excelled at the fast swoopy bermy flow riding that is Brechfa.

Everything the original frame promised, but amplified + pared down to make attacking riding a total joy.
    LOTS stiffer back end, much less reliance on the pro-pedal and comfortably sitting into the travel + groveling for traction on steep / technical /off piste climbs, but still stiff enough to cope with fireroad slogging and out of the saddle efforts. The magic, tardis-style bottomless feel to the suspension is so good, pushing into corners, making body english really pay dividends. I don’t care if it really is much faster, but it feels it in a 100% engaging way. Feels allot more capable than the previous design + ends up out classing the forks (Reba, team maxles) which I never felt on the old bike.
    Not an XC super light, efficient map crossing bike, but i’ve not ridden a more engaging trail bike.
    Next years plans are changing. I now want to spend as much time as possible on the ST4 marinading myself in endorphins thinking holy ****.
    Finished the ride supping very fine coffee + munching Ian’s magic flapjacks at the Drop-off bus, shaking slightly + grinning in the sunshine. Ace day.
    No pics as the digi camera has given up the ghost + there was no way I was stopping anyhow.

vrapan
    Free Member

3000£ for SLX Speced bike? It really has to be brilliant in every way to be even considered.

rOcKeTdOg

i think someone has swallowed the bike reviewers manual, so many over used cliches in that lot

still, glad you liked it 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

3000£ for SLX Speced bike?

?????

My LBS has a full XTR equipped aluminium framed hardtail with nice carbon finishing kit, a top end fox fork and high spec wheels for £2500. Even adding a bit more money to change to an aluminium full sus frame, how does that happen??

GaryBanham
    Free Member

You know what I’m glad you like it, we invest a lot of money on our bikes so ENJOY.

Gaz

Alex

I like mine very much as well Alec. We’ve both had the “old” 2010 replaced with the 2011. It’s a lot of money to pay for a frame, but it is absolutely brilliant to ride.

The old one was good but flawed. This one is just good. In terms of “value”, well every time I ride mine I find myself giggling like a loon.

And Orange don’t have the buying power of the big brands. Mine’s a frame only, no idea what it cost to build, but it’s worth it. x2 🙂

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Orange proportionally put allot back into MTBing, treat their staff decently (I’m told) and have great customer support. I guess that stuff could be cost saved to put out cheaper bikes, but I’d prefer to pay a bit more + support a company thats trying to do the right thing.

Rubbish phone pic.

djglover
    Free Member

It looks like a Saracen

speaker2animals

I think the new one looks much better than original. I thought all the parts of the linkages seemed to overwhelm the frame somehow. I’d definitely be tempted if I had the cash, though a Trek Fuel would give it a close run.

gamo
    Free Member

What happened to your 2010 frames? I got mine in April and love it!
    Looking at the 2011 model other than shock/linkage positions it all
    looks very similiar.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m hoping they do the ST5 sort of thing that’s knocking about as a Strange at the moment.

soulrider
    Free Member

Looks a lot of fun…

If I could afford it I would have one to go along with my Five..

pedlad

Loving my new ST4 too. Big thanks for Orange and All About Bikes at Evesham for sorting out the warranty.

Changes from the 08 frame seem to be a much stiffer rear end which was definately “twangy” – For the first few rides with that twang missing I wondered if that contributed to the fun feeling of the old frame. But now a few more rides in I’ve sorted the re-bound damping a bit, replacedd the summer tyres and started to get over the new bike fear of binning it into the trees and starting to love it.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

rickos,, please elaborate or even pics!!!!!

ST5 ???

pedlad

Try to do it with a decent sized image! ….and failed. How do the above get them full size….goes over to help section

coogan
    Free Member

making body english really pay dividends

Someone explain this drivel please.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Nice.
    Moving around on the bike to make it go betterer. HTH
    Fastest I’ve ever been round Y Wall today. Ace bike

coogan
    Free Member

So basically your just riding the bike?

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

glad you like your new bike
    im happy to slum it with last years 🙄

my budget was a lot less but half price frame helped
    i do hope my fat ass does not break it !!!!!!!!

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

p.s djglover you are a sarcastic man!!!
    i suppose my build will look like a DAWES 😯

dseenya
    Free Member

[rickos,, please elaborate or even pics!!!!!

ST5 ???]

Thread here
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2011-orange-5-evo

pix from orange
    http://my.orangebikes.co.uk/showgallery.php?cat=510

kaesae
    Free Member

Orange are a great company in terms of supporting riders and developing out the MTB culture. I’m not that big on single pivots, the st4’s and other similar frames are a step in the right direction if you ask me.

Rickos
    Free Member

maxsatnav – see here on page 66 – http://wideopenmag.co.uk/the-magazine

and here for some shots – http://my.orangebikes.co.uk/showphoto.php?photo=3233

mafiafish
    Free Member

Even worse value than the five! There are tons of bikes out there now that (at least look) almost identical to this. I know a lot of people will evangelise the usual orange/buying british stuff but you could get a scott spark 20, fuel ex9 or a trance x1 and 900 quid in your back pocket.

simonm
    Free Member

There arn’t many bikes around with the Geometry VS Travel of the ST4… Orange are ahead of the pack.

Really you have to ride one to appreciate how good they are, on paper its ONLY 100mm travel, doesnt look that great etc etc.. but it is a unique bike at present.. That said, I think there are couple of other companies joining the Short Travel Slack geometry train.

The changes to the 2011 model do address the issues that some had with the older ST4 though and all good steps in the right direction, even the Trek fuel took a few years to get it right.

tragically1969
    Free Member

The magic, tardis-style bottomless feel to the suspension is so good, pushing into corners

groveling for traction on steep / technical /off piste climbs

I now want to spend as much time as possible on the ST4 marinading myself in endorphins thinking holy ****

but amplified + pared down to make attacking riding a total joy

I you wrote all this claptrap with your tongue in your cheek then bravo, if however you did not i feel really sorry for you…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Despite all of that flannel I still hate most is ‘it rides like a bike’

Inane and pointless. And it appeared at least twice in the last STW mag.

simonm
    Free Member

at least he’s not refered to it as “Stead”… most hated term for a bike.

zerolight
    Free Member

pedlad, you used the thumbnail version of your image. drop the th_ and the bit after.jpg and it’ll look like this… and very nice it is too, congrats.

coogan
    Free Member

I’ll admit I’ve never been a fan of Orange bikes or the daily wankathon threads gushing over them that seem to appear on here… but… dang it… that ST5 looks quite nice…

Kit
    Free Member

That is sweet. Wonder if a student loan would cover it…

m_t_b
    Free Member

Looks like very much like the SC blur family…

TheFopster
    Free Member

Looks like a Zesty. Only less French. Very nice.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

simonm- didnt commencal do this format first?

Twin
    Free Member

It does sound like a sponsored MBR style review. Next bit will be about the bars being a bit too wide or something.

What really does my head in stuff like this

LOTS stiffer back end, much less reliance on the pro-pedal and comfortably sitting into the travel

I’m sure someone wrote a review last year about how much stiffer the back end was, how much better the pro-pedal, how it used the travel more effectively etc.

So last years bike was sh!te then?

coogan
    Free Member

Twin – I think it’s known as ‘new bike syndrome’.

StuE
    Free Member

Like a less burly version of this

IMG_3433

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

oooooohh! more pics of the ST5! didn’t spot those around the web, thanks very much Rickos!

simonm
    Free Member

simonm- didnt commencal do this format first?

No, they were both more travel.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Commencal meta 4 was a 100mm – singletrack did a comparison a few years back and basically said the st4 followed the commencal design

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘2011 ST4: Over Excited new bike gushing’ is closed to new replies.