Home Forums Bike Forum Hope HB916

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Hope HB916
  • duir
    Free Member

Anyone else ordered one? First Carbon & first 29er for me, two things I swore I would never have. Made a liar of myself with this one though!

Can’t wait!

teethgrinder

Aye. Frame only size H2, with most bits coming over from my HB160. Went for the Ohlins coil, and hopefully it’ll be the new TTX.M2.

Going black components this time rather than the understated orange/green on the 160. Just need the Evo cranks now.

duir
    Free Member

Aye. Frame only size H2, with most bits coming over from my HB160. Went for the Ohlins coil, and hopefully it’ll be the new TTX.M2.

Going black components this time rather than the understated orange/green on the 160. Just need the Evo cranks now.

Yep frame only here too H3, going Ohlins coil rear and RFXM2 36 or 38 front. Going to run as mullet as that saves in new rear wheel!

mboy
    Free Member

Joe Barnes @ Innerleithen last weekend...

teethgrinder

Saw the chameleon one at the factory. It’s very nice, but can’t justify the extra £500 over the also very nice plain carbon.

duir
    Free Member

Saw the chameleon one at the factory. It’s very nice, but can’t justify the extra £500 over the also very nice plain carbon.

Personally I think the plain carbon looks incredible. As a previous lover of CNC, tig welding or steel bikes it has taken a lot for me to want to go carbon. The geometry, build quality and attention to detail won for me with the HB916 but let’s be honest it’s one if the best looking bikes anyone has produced in years!

v7fmp

i didnt really take much notice of the previous bike, but having had a quick look… that is a delightful looking machine!

Unfortunately i dont have any need for an Enduro race bike, but if i did, that would be very high on the list of wants!

I look forward to seeing some of your builds!

teethgrinder

I have no need for an endure race bike either, and I’m still getting one.

Mine will/should be:
    H2 frame in raw carbon, Ohlins TTX.m2 shock
    Fox 36 Grip2 Factory Elite uppers* with new 29″ lowers
    Hope Pro4 in black on DT XM481 with Mary and Betty 29×2.4″
    Hope bars* and black Hope AM stem, Bjorn grips
    OneUp 210mm dropper* & 30.9-31.6mm shim
    Stealth Charge Spoon
    Hope Evo crank in black with black 30t round ring
    GX AXS* with 10-50t cassette*
    Tech3 E4 with Tech4 lever blades**

* Off of HB160
    ** Off of hard tail

duir
    Free Member

i didnt really take much notice of the previous bike, but having had a quick look… that is a delightful looking machine!

Unfortunately i dont have any need for an Enduro race bike, but if i did, that would be very high on the list of wants!

I look forward to seeing some of your builds!

I think that this and similar bikes while billed as Enduro race bikes actually make fantastic all day bikes in places like the Lakes and the Highlands where it is often very rough and steep.

v7fmp

yeah, bike’s pedal so well these days, you can ride them all over. Wont be the most efficient thing, especially with the idler drag, but if it doesnt bother you, then go wild! :D

duir
    Free Member

yeah, bike’s pedal so well these days, you can ride them all over. Wont be the most efficient thing, especially with the idler drag, but if it doesnt bother you, then go wild! 😀

I can’t imagine it’s not more efficient than my current 36lb steel all day bike that climbs really well! As for the idler, initial reports say that idler drag is almost unnoticeable.

teethgrinder

Seems the launch will be at Ard Rock next weekend with supply soon after to the early orders.

Fizzing!

v7fmp

yeah, i am looking forward to prodding one!

stevedoc
    Free Member

It truly is a thing of beauty. Im really not set on the high pivot after riding a Druid but the 916 would look stunning on the wall.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I think the chameleon looks stunning but a brief test on the Highlander and Claymore last weekend didn’t wow me so I wouldn’t buy without at least one test ride.

They had them on show at EWS @ Innerleithen and they are lovely

hannahjayy
    Free Member

We’re launching it at Ard Rock, if you’re there be sure to pop by the stand with any questions. We’ll have display bikes in the painted finishes and a few demo bikes in raw carbon.

chakaping

a brief test on the Highlander and Claymore last weekend didn’t wow me

Care to share a few bullet points on how they rode?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

@chapaping this was at Comrie Croft, both were running Fox air shocks, probably X2. The Highlander was the 140 version with Helms and the Claymore Zeb’s. I tested both in a large at 178cm tall. I’ve been on a ML AM9 coil shock for ages..

Reach is 465 on the Highlander and 490 on the Claymore iirc, the Bird is 475.

Both the Deviate bikes were super efficient on climbing. I actually prefer a bit more squidge or give on climbing, so never use the climb switch on my coil but the AM9 doesn’t climb too badly.

There was no bob to be felt in the open setting, and watching my mate climb on the Claymore you could tell this was the case visually.

The suspension wasn’t really optimised to my prefrences, I used probably 80% of the travel but there wasn’t much pep although the Croft is not really Claymore territory..

I preferred the Highlander for the terrain but there was nothing in it climbing wise. The Claymore was noticeably more lazy on the front end but no doubt it would excel in fast terrain.

Descending there was a bit more noise than I expected and I felt a bit detached when pedalling (maybe due to the extra chain, pulley etc)

Really smart looking bikes and I am local enough to organise an extended test ride to get the suspension more to my liking. The I prefer the simplicity of coil over the five variables of the X2.. the Deviate can run coil too.

chakaping

Interesting, ta.

Big difference in feel over the rough bits? Magic rock-gobbling properties live up to the hype?

teethgrinder

Chod just got real!

I have a shipping date for my frame now.

mark88

@teethgrinder – how long until you get it?

Has anyone tried one yet? They had demos at Ard Rock but the S3 was out and I didn’t have time to wait for it to return.

They look great, would love to have a play on one.

teethgrinder

Dunno yet. Should have shipped to the shop yesterday but I’m wanting it Invisiframed so may need to go to them to get scanned.

Ringing the shop soon to find out so I’ll update after that.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’ll start building my drool reserves ready for the pics when it arrives!

dumbbot
    Free Member

I was considering this frame until I noticed it doesn’t have ISCG tabs, ..I’m wondering why on this type of bike you would omit these?

The alternative options for chainring protection are pretty rubbish,..a BB mounted bash? Or as Joe Barnes has a rather dated Hope 1/4 Bash plate which requires spider mounted chainring…and this is only available for 32t and up(I’m currently using a 30t)

Anyways, so much about this bike seems right but such a simple thing put me right off.

teethgrinder

It’s on it’s way to the shop. Invisiframe probably not ready until next week, but the shop are sending me some photos when it arrives with them.

Fizzing!

a11y

I was considering this frame until I noticed it doesn’t have ISCG tabs, ..I’m wondering why on this type of bike you would omit these?

That does seem a bit strange. Not ideal – and assuming it has a regular HT2-type BB – but I used a BB-mounted bash on a previous bike that lacked ISCG tabs, it replaced one of the spacers. Strange omission on such a bike though.

teethgrinder

BB is T47, like the HB.160 BB. There’s a bonded in alloy shell, then a screw in alloy shell in which the bearings are pressed.

TBH, I’m not bothered about lack of ISCG05 mounts for a bash guard. Rather the ring takes the brunt than it gets transmitted to the frame.

honourablegeorge

I dunno – people don’t really use chain guides all that much these days

teethgrinder

It’s at the shop! Just waiting on invisiframe…

edd

Exciting for you, looking forward to seeing pictures of it built up

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

FFS, as if I wasn’t dehydrated enough! 🤤🤤🤤

pigyn
    Free Member

I have seen our first one in the flesh today, it looks amazing. Had a good poke around then wrapped it up to be sent for the Invisiframe template, it’s an H2 so you will be waiting on this if yours is an H2 teethgrinder.

In typical fashion the first one to be delivered is the only one we haven’t pre-sold, so if anyone wants a real treat have a look at this
    https://www.pedalsbikecare.co.uk/products/hope-hb916-stock-bike-h2-air-neutral

The pictures aren’t what it is – you have to read the spec.

In even more typical fashion, our demo (that I will be stealing) is one of the last to arrive and might be into October, so I can’t give any ride feedback/review type stuff yet. Except that it’s very well put together, as expected, same as the 130s.

teethgrinder

Nice! How long do invisiframe usually take too turn around the templating?

pigyn
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be too long, just been picked up so they will have it tomorrow, hopefully next week sometime but I don’t want to put words in their mouth. I have no idea how they do it 😂

teethgrinder

Guess so. Almost tempted to not have it done so I can go get it.

Moar pics courtesy of Biketreks Grizedale…

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChHeUySsc-v/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

pigyn
    Free Member

The raw carbon finish does wear really well, my 130 was one of the first to be built and still looks great after a clean down. Or get it done with one of the generic kits like a ridewrap Covered kit, gets the most high traffic areas.

mark88

Must be time for some built pics @teethgrinder ?

I’m hoping to get a demo at Tweedlove.

teethgrinder

I started a new thread

NBD – A New Hope

It is rather good, though. Harder work going up, but it’s a 29er with 165mm cranks… I just need to pedal harder.

teethgrinder

url=https://postimg.cc/3ykdksf6][/url]

sharkattack

Any long term reviews of these things? I can’t stop looking at them. I’m hoping someone can put me off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.