Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 258 total)
  • homophobia alive and well on the streets
  • Stoner
    Free Member

alerter les authorités, Juan!!!!!

juan
    Free Member

on se tutoie ?

Nope. Bayrou, humm let me think, the one who is still against “le marriage Gay”. Well I’ll let you ponder about this one.

Stoner
    Free Member

on se tutoie ?

Nope

touchy 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – sorry I disagree with you very strongly.

Edukator puts the onus on emsz to alter her behaviour to avoid these incidents. Thats making it her responsibility that the incident happened IE blaming the victim. It makes it her fault it happened.

Its not like your parallel with the Asian and the EDL at all this is to people holding hands in public. Its not provocative behaviour its normal behaviour. By putting the onus on emsz to modify her behaviour to avoid this type of incident its making normal behaviour appear abnormal.

Edukator
    Free Member

Maybe, Mr Juan, but Bayrou is in favour of giving gays the same rights as anyone else including the right to adopt.

philconsequence
    Free Member

WOAH THERE (thats old fashioned speak for stop a horse) WOAH WOAH!

holding hands before marriage?!

juan
    Free Member

on se tutoie ?

Nope

touchy

Not touching but I wouldn’t want a complete stranger to do it in the street, why would it be different on here 😉

And get your fact at least edukator, Bayrou is still against gay marriage.

Stoner
    Free Member

Enchanté

kaesae
    Free Member

Eh! excuse you lot!

This thread is about shitty stuff happening to emsz and homophobia, it’s not a hand bag swinging strop out for the old ladies in you!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4aHrRocA3E[/video]

v8ninety

Its not like your parallel with the Asian and the EDL at all this is to people holding hands in public. Its not provocative behaviour its normal behaviour.

But that’s where you are wrong TJ. I don’t like it any more than you, but the behaviour in question provoked a reaction from the Neanderthals. Ergo, the behaviour was provocative in this instance.
    As usual, you are mistaking the argument of how things should be with how things are at present. It is not the OPs primary responsibility to rail against prejudice, it is to get home safe at night.

Edukator
    Free Member

Like Bayrou I think lesbian couples having the right to adopt children is more important than being able to get married when a pacs gives gay couples a suitable legal framework.

Cougar

the behaviour in question provoked a reaction from the Neanderthals.

I’m guessing of course but,

Given the intellectual proletariat we’re dealing with here, I suspect Emsz and her partner would probably have provoked a reaction from them regardless, just perhaps a slightly different one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK I know I said I’d given up, but…I’ve taken what Edukator says as:

“Sometimes, such as when in fear of your safety or you just don’t want the hassle, you can avoid that by not having any public displays of affection”.

Seems a reasonable choice to me – of course any right thinking person wants all of this to be a non issue, but it’s not for us to tell the OP that she has to fight that battle.

And as for his joke, of course it could be taken as offensive, it could also be taken as funny, I took a bit of both (I didn’t see how there could be any malice behind it, it was a joke about straight men, fantasies and lesbians) but it just a bit wearing when all the PC types jump on the thread to tell him off – the OP can do so herself, but no, you have to tell edukator off and tell her to right the battle against homophobia.

Must be great getting to tell folk what to do all the time,I wish I was that wise.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5S2Dio2_Y[/video]

teasel
    Free Member

“Sometimes, such as when in fear of your safety or you just don’t want the hassle, you can avoid that…

Indeed. But whether holding hands should be considered risky is really the point this thread is now attempting to establish, isn’t it? Personlly I believe not but it would seem from the viewpoint of Emsz it was quite frightening, in which case Eddy’s viewpoint stands-up in order to protect herself and her partner. He’s simply suggesting a pragmatic stance in these kind of matters as opposed to the knee-jerk ‘it’s my right’ reaction when it’s not always safe do to so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

COMMON SENSE AT LAST.

Thanks you.

Edukator
    Free Member

Dare I point out that emsz referred to her aggressors as “tossers” in her opening post which made me smile and prompted my quip. Another poster later referred to them as a “bunch of wee chuggers” which again made me smile though I don’t know the dictionary difinition of the expression. Smile in the face of adversity. Make light of things, indulge in a bit of black humour and life’s injustices are easier to deal with IME.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

OK I know I said I’d given up, but…I’ve taken what Edukator says as:

“Sometimes, such as when in fear of your safety or you just don’t want the hassle, you can avoid that by not having any public displays of affection”.

But we’re not talking about “sometimes” are we? We’re talking about always– because you can never predict when some random person in the street will turn out to be a nutter.

It’s not like they walked hand-in-hand past a frothing anti-gay preacher or a skinhead rally or something, where there’s a real indication of risk.

yunki
    Free Member

aaaaaaaahhh.. REAL common sense at last

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I cannot believe that someone has suggested that Emz and her other half alter their behavior when all they were doing is holding hands ffs, this makes my blood boil, same as the idiots who have a go at women for breast feeding in public utter twunts. And breath!

Sue_W
    Free Member

emsz – that’s shit! Really glad you and Sara are OK, It’s a horrible thing to happen (a long time ago a similar thing happened to me and my girlfriend – got a load of abuse from a couple of very drunk guys. And it can be pretty scary – the phrase ‘best way to sort out a lesbian is to give her a good seeing to by a real man’ can be fairly frightening when it’s said to you and your girlfriend, even when of course they don’t actually go on to do anything).

Good on you for reporting it to the police (that in itself is a courageous thing to do), and carry on holding hands whenever you want to – it normal behaviour FFS!

As for those that say that Emsz (or anyone other gay couple) should not hold hands in public as it is against ‘social norms’ – have a proper think about the implications of what you are saying. How can anything change in society if it is always hidden away? Plus, it effectively means that emsz (or any other gay couple) can NEVER hold hands or express any affection in public, because you can never tell if the person near you might be some homophobic twunk. Last time I checked, homosexuality was not considered to only be acceptable ‘behind closed doors’ in the UK in the current day, it is (and should be) a normal relationship that’s no different from any straight couple.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think we are talking about “sometimes”. Weighing people up on the basis of a long list of criteria is something humans are very good at. Dress, body language, facial expression etc. tell us a lot about people and it’s safe to do most things in most places most of the time. Just now and then something about people tells you to be wary of them.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Edukator – sorry, but that isn’t the case. You can’t ‘spot’ an homophobic bigot in advance, they tend to appear in all guises. Or just appear unexpectedly round the corner, or be unseen walking behind you. Which is why I tried to suggest that you to have a proper think about what you were saying, as to take your approach (which I also consider to be unjustifiable even if only ‘sometimes’), would mean as a gay person you could never have any public expression of affection. Which is utterly unacceptable.

Plus, the best way to overcome any bigotry is just to be open and normal (and no, that is not the same as some kind of ‘militant campaign’!)

binners

Lesbians? holding hands, you say?

Ultimately, the world is populated by some right idiots. I think there’s a percentage of the population that will be offended by pretty much anything, as a justification for their subsequent actions. Glad you’re ok though. **** ’em!

hora
    Free Member

same as the idiots who have a go at women for breast feeding in public

Just because you have a baby attached doesn’t make it decent public behaviour. Sorry.

yunki
    Free Member

oh dear 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Heterosexual couples don’t seem to feel the need to hold hands everywhere. Madame is selective about where and when it’s acceptable to her, and sometimes I’d much rather have both hands free; the last metro from Marseille centre to Prado for example.

crankboy
    Free Member

i’ll rise to that one hora what exactly is indecent about breast feeding?

philconsequence
    Free Member

why should the baby have access to boob but not hora? its jealousy 😉

binners

And right on cue….. along he comes to illustrate my point

He objects to breast feeding as he is possessed by the spirit of this Benny Hill, and believes norks are only for one thing. Some people think its funny, but its actually tragic.

This is what the world looks like through Hora’s eyes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQwhR49jwU&feature=related[/video]

hora
    Free Member

i’ll rise to that one hora what exactly is indecent about breast feeding?

Your level of decency isn’t the same as everyone elses. Why should everyone be told to expect a partial level of nudity in every day life?

Why should we be told that its liberating and/or natural and we should accept it?

A cover over the baby protects both the Mothers privacy and others who may find it offensive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Heterosexual couples don’t seem to feel the need to hold hands everywhere.

True I have travelled in the middle east and public shows of affection are frowned on so i did not hold hands with my wif ein public

Oddly you can hold hands with a man in public[ as a man but not women holding hands with women]

The thing here edukator is your choice about holding hands is exactly that your choice. It is not being not done to avoid offending bigotted f wits. I agree it is often prudent to do this on occasions for gay couples but it is also a shame they have to in general. their treatment is nothing like the treatment breeders get in public.

You got some allies with your point stop digging dude

Why should we be told that its liberating and/or natural and we should accept it?

you think breast feeding is not natural 😯 suppose flashy cars and mtb is normal though eh.If it offends have you though about looking away?

binners

Perhaps you could write us out a list of what you do, and what you don’t find acceptable Hora. In fact, when you’ve done that, why not get a friend to video you reading your new ‘moral code’? You could post it on the web

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m not rising to Hora’s troll 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Boobies out in public?
    I’m not rising either. 😈

crankboy
    Free Member

er cos breast feeding is natural? it’s what the breast is designed for? why should my child go hungry or have to have his dinner in a toilet because some people can’t get past a schoolboy attitude to the opposite sex?

There is actually sod all partial nudity involved in the way most women breast feed.

nsdog
    Free Member

“Binners Law” the 2012 version of Godwins law? Comparing a poster with the Taliban?

Reductio ad Jihadium. I like it, very much.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Because their lazy wifes bottle fed, nowt wrong with some bitty!

maccruiskeen

I can’t really be bothered to read all that. The sad thing is Emsz has experienced something very upsetting, the encouraging thing is that she doesn’t usually experience things like this. Attacks like this used to be typical, now they are seldom, soon they’ll be never. Theres nothing Emsz needs to change, other than to continue to be a force for change. The changes that need to happen are happening.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

twohundred

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 258 total)

The topic ‘homophobia alive and well on the streets’ is closed to new replies.