• This topic has 67 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Help for a STWer to recover from the floods.
  • marinmcmarinface
    Free Member

Chipped in a bit and my young son did to as he wants to be a fireman! Hope you get back on your feet quick and your daughter isn’t to traumatised by it! (Funny story about firemen… went to an open day at local Firestation last year, when asking the kids what they liked the best? My daughter said..”the firemen!” Going to have my hands full for sure as she was only 4 at the time!)

bearnecessities

I thought Mr Overshoot’s ridiculousy generous donation was the most heart-warming, but kiddo donating his pocket money probably pips it 🙂

celticdragon

Just contributed, the pictures I’ve seen on this thread and media channels make sobering viewing.

tthew

I thought Mr Overshoot’s ridiculousy generous donation was the most heart-warming, but kiddo donating his pocket money probably pips it

I guess that’s where the £1.50 came from. That’s a kind boy, but marinmcmarinface needs to up his pocket money game. 😁

marinmcmarinface
    Free Member

Tthew, my son has more savings than me lol and he wanted to give more (was 2 pund) I told him that was very generous but he needs to save for a house deposit or college etc to which I’m sure to OP will understand 🙂 overwhelmed as the generosity of so many on here, what a great community!!
    As for pocket money, that could be another thread on the going rate 😉

flowerpower
    Free Member

R4 now.

🙁

Edit: Broadcasting House visited Grinton.

FFJA
    Free Member

Dear all,
    Apologies for not updating a bit more frequently, but well, you know.
    Thanks to friends and volunteers, the village is starting to get sorted out a bit now! My house is more or less tackled as far as I’ll be involved, and the process of finding somewhere else is on the go. I’m away at work for 4 days now, and tbh while it’s frustrating being away it’s probably no bad thing as the smell was awful!
    I’ve seen Grace now, and thankfully she’s treating it as a bit of an adventure and is quite matter of fact about stuff! Kids hey, brilliant little things at times.
    As far as this on STW I concerned I can thank people enough. I am blown away by people’s generosity. To the young man who wants to be a firefighter if you’re ever up this way you’re welcome to come and visit the station anytime!
    Please don’t donate any more to me! I feel embarrassed enough as it is! If any does want to donate I think there are crowdfunding things set up by the ArdRock organisers which are more deserving than me!
    I’m trying to make lists of everything now, admin stuff, amazing how many little things you don’t think of like cancelling stuff/changing addresses etc.
    Once I get back in the house you’re all coming to the house warming!!!
    Much love and thanks James and Grace x

easily
    Free Member

Just caught this thread.

I’m glad to hear things are looking a little better. Seems I’m too late with cash, but like others I could donate a little time if you need help – let me know.

Being evicted seems like unnecessary stress at this point. Is that standard in this sort of situation, or is your landlord especially gittish?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Presumably vacating the rental property is by mutual consent, otherwise landlord would need to give two months notice. On the plus side, no reason to lose a penny from the deposit money. 🙂

matt_outandabout

Cheers for the update OP, glad your daughter is taking it in her stride.

I’m of the view that I donated my money to you, a good and needy cause. If you feel you have neighbours that are more needy than you, do be generous with the donations, but make sure you and your daughter are sorted. Only you know what to do here.

I’m holding you to the housewarming – perhaps a ride out…?

takisawa2

Awful news.
    PP says “Fund closed…” ?

bearnecessities

It’s closed because FFJA asked for no more donations, and for any well-meaning money to go to the community fundraising, so I closed the pool.

We’ve been in touch and I’m now going through the rigmarole of trying to transfer over £3k 🙂

tthew

Because the recipient said he wants people to stop donating, and give to the Ard Rock fundraising one instead, I’d assume, (only about 5 posts up)

I’m with matt out and about, if there’s surplus money definitely pass it on to others who could benefit. Or get that fridge stocked for the housewarming! 🍻 🥳

Edit – beaten to it while typing.

marinmcmarinface
    Free Member

Glad to hear your getting back on your feet and that your daughter is taking it in her stride! Hopefully everyone else in the community are recovering to. I’m sure we will be down to Yorkshire again at some point in the future so I’m sure we will pay a visit to the station 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

I think that one of our own was just on Look North.

FFJA
    Free Member

Quick update from me and Grace..
    That was indeed me on the TV! How embarrasing but at least I didn’t swear!
    I spent a few days clearing mud and sewage and kitchen units from the house but this morning took a phone call to say that the landlady has decided to permanently end my tenancy as she has decided to use the house as a holiday cottage.
    A quick trail of rightmove shows nowhere to live within 15 miles of Swaledale so it looks like the flood has permanently cost me my home, my retained firefighter job and is going to mean leaving the place I’ve lived since I was a baby.
    I’ll be honest, I’m struggling to see the positives at the moment.

stumpy01

Sorry to hear that! Really don’t know what else to say. That must be pretty devastating.

Is it worth calling round local estate agents and see if they have anything or know of anything that might be coming up?

bearnecessities

Your ex-landlady sounds delightful.

Have you thought about renting a room in the vicinity for a while until things settle down ? Obviously not ideal, and you have time with Grace and pets to think about, but you’ll save a fortune in bills and buy yourself time to put the word out, keep your firefighting etc  – I’ve had a quick gander and there are a few options that welcome pets,such as:

room to rent

(I dare say you’d save that much money a month you could afford to have weekends away with Grace, if her being able to have her stay over is a worry)

funkmasterp

Sorry to hear that OP. Wish there was more I could say. Do you have any family or close friends you can stay with short term?

Drac

Sorry to hear that sounds like she’s taking advantage of bad situation. I’m sure something will come up in the area in time.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If your tenancy had become “periodic” then your landlady needs to give you two calendar months notice under normal circumstances.

While this turn of events sounds awful, at least two months notice gives you more time to find an alternative local place to rent.

bearnecessities

That’s a good point. Whilst the property obviously isn’t habitable at the moment, there must be some obligation she has to sort it out in a certain amount of time – and then you have remaining time of that 2 month window?

In theory though. Sadly I know nothing about the subject 🙁

singletrackmind

I am a landlord and my tennancy agreement states that if my rental property becomes uninhabitable I must provide alternative accomadation.
    I know this is not going to high on list of things to do, but FFJA, you really do need to speak with CAB / Good solicitor to find out exactly where you stand legally. The donations will see yo through a month or 2 but they will soon go.
    She sounds like a nasty peice of work anyway. I would shovel all the shit back into the house and leave it as the floods leaft it and let her deal with , whilst sueing her arse

FFJA
    Free Member

Google suggests they may have acted illegally by not waiting until they had returned the property to a livable standard and reinstating my tenancy before issuing the notice to quit…
    Slightly academic as clearly they don’t want me there but that’s not the point. If they have (and I’m phoning solicitor on Monday) then I’ll be telling them I’m going to pursue a civil claim against landlord and letting agent for mental distress and injury to feelings. And I’m. It the litigious type at all. But this is taking the p***.

tjagain

go for it

tthew

Well done for not just rolling over and accepting that shit.
    As an old boss of mine once said, ‘I hope her balls turn square and fester at the corners’.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Also, if it is to become a holiday cottage then you should let everyone know on here where it is so we don’t give them any custom in the future!

I hope you do give them hell and not just take this lying down. It’s up to them to sort out the mess as a landlord, so I wouldn’t be cleaning up any more of it – doesn’t sound like they are worth the effort.

Drac

Do it for the cost of a solicitors letter it’ll buy you some time to find somewhere.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Help for a STWer to recover from the floods.’ is closed to new replies.