Home Forums Bike Forum Help!! Bontrager hub conversion.

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by H.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help!! Bontrager hub conversion.
  • Bikepimp
    Free Member

Mate’s got a pair of 2009 bontrager xxx carbon wheels currently with 9mm q-release. These are dt hubs branded as bontrager. Is it possible to covert to a 15mm pull through axle? Your help appricated.

Cheers

H
    Free Member

I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing with my bontrager xxx 29er wheels.

Assuming that your hubs are the same as mine it is possible.

I searched everywhere for adapters, which dont exist! I then decided to buy a DT Swiss 240 15mm CentreLock hub and remove the components required on my hub. However this did not work because although they look idnetical the width between the bearings are different between the bontrager marked hub and the DT Swiss 240.

I am currently in the process of getting some parts machined up to copy the DT Swiss 240 design although with the correct spacing for the bontrager marked hub.

The 240 CentreLock hub uses 2 spacers (1 each side) held in place by a channeled washer which presses into the hub, just outside the bearing faces. When in position the spacers are free to move slightly within the holding washers but once the hub is clamped into position in the forks nothing can move around.

The 240 also have a tube running internally between the bearings. As far as i can tell all it does is connect the bearings together so that they dont spin inderpendantly. I am unsure whether I am going to get a new one of these made for the bontrager hub because its more cost and I struggle to see the point of it!

If you want a set of the spacers / channeled washers let me know and I will be able to get 2 complete sets made. Not sure on price yet, still drawing the parts up.

Let me know, H

bigyinn
    Free Member

You need to have the central tube, as it supports the inner bearing races and prevents excessive side loading, leading to premature bearing DEATH!

H
    Free Member

Ahh right!

Thanks very much, I shall get me one of those aswell then!

Any idea why they have 2 rubber seals around the centre of the central tube?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry, no idea without seeing one.

EdwardH

I attempted to convert a 240 hub from QR to 15mm – it cant be done as the hub for a 15mm through axel is a larger diameter to accomodate the larger bearings.

H
    Free Member

Nah thats incorrect because I have a 240 15mm hub with 15x28x7mm bearings in. The 15mm axle sits directly against the inner diameter of the bearings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help!! Bontrager hub conversion.’ is closed to new replies.